fender bender in thethe mystic while parked!

blwnmstc

Established Member
fender bender in the mystic while parked!

So my mystic was backed in to while part yesterday morning while parked. I was more surprised that the owner of the house that I was working at didn't realize that he had done it. He offered to pay for the damages (he is pretty loaded, enough to pay me cash without looking at the damages) as soon as I get an estimate. I have a couple questions regarding the paint and I searched but could not find anything. I ready a write up about the mystic chrome being to be color matched but dont now if its the same as the regulate mystic.

My questions
1. Not that I wouldn't mind a new paint job cuz it needs it. Would I have to repaint the car because of the damage that was made?
2. I remember reading a thread a while back that I would have to get the original paint from ford. Where would I have the painter get the paint? Or is it something a shop can mix?

My brother just got his car painted and I asked the owner of the shop for estimate to paint it(before it got hit) and he said he could probably mix it to match it. My main concern is that it gets fixed and if I do repaint the hole car, I want it to look as close as possible to how it looks right now. Any input would be great and sorry about the long post. Thanx for looking

Last edited:

FICannon

Semper Fidelis
Established Member
You can get the original mystic paint from a BASF licensed dealer. I wouldn't trust someone to mix a paint like the mystic.

You do not have to paint the whole car on a mystic; just be aware that the original paint will look dull next the new mystic paint.

Mystic-SVT

snuggle fest, mmmmm!
Established Member
The only other company that even comes remotely close to the real mystic paint is House of Kolors and even then its off a couple of shades and its not the correct shade of green.

Contact Basf which is the company that made and still makes the mystic paint.

DO NOT LET SOMEONE TRY TO MIX A BATCH FOR YOU!

GT350R

Established Member
I own a Mystic too, and am looking to replace the cowl hood with a factory piece.

One thing I have read and you might need to know. At some point they started using the pigment to make money???? It was said that a rep from BASF needs to be there , and watches the car get painted. Then takes the left over paint when he leaves? If this is in fact true , do they comp you for what they take back or what?

I also read that its easier to get it through a Ford dealer because they car needs to be verified as needing paint work. Other places can do it, but its easier at Ford.

All this only being for the 96 Mystic , not the 04 color.

blwnmstc

Established Member
You can get the original mystic paint from a BASF licensed dealer. I wouldn't trust someone to mix a paint like the mystic.

You do not have to paint the whole car on a mystic; just be aware that the original paint will look dull next the new mystic paint.

That's the same company that I seen that makes the mystic chrome but wasn't too sure if they made the mystic. I was hoping that someone would tell me that I would have to paint all the car just cuz the original paint is pretty bad. Thanx

blwnmstc

Established Member
The only other company that even comes remotely close to the real mystic paint is House of Kolors and even then its off a couple of shades and its not the correct shade of green.

Good thing I posted here about someone mixing it for me cuz the by would of probably convinced me and I would of not been happy with the outcome. By the way, ur sig picture and has inspired me to do an irs and s281 spoiler. Thanx

blwnmstc

Established Member
I own a Mystic too, and am looking to replace the cowl hood with a factory piece.

One thing I have read and you might need to know. At some point they started using the pigment to make money???? It was said that a rep from BASF needs to be there , and watches the car get painted. Then takes the left over paint when he leaves? If this is in fact true , do they comp you for what they take back or what?

I also read that its easier to get it through a Ford dealer because they car needs to be verified as needing paint work. Other places can do it, but its easier at Ford.

I have never read anything about a rep from BASF having to be there. I did read once that u had to get the paint from ford and they only sold it to mystic owners. That's why I posted here cuz I have seen a couple guys repaint there cars.

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
how bad is the damage, also the paint is not cheap. Not sure if they still are as protective of the color as they were, but they use to require a rep. to come out and see the damage and determine the right amount of paint hat would be needed. A.k.A. so you couldn't buy extra and resell it or try and copy it etc.

Mystic-SVT

snuggle fest, mmmmm!
Established Member

It used to be this way but not anymore. The only thing you need now is your vin # and lots of money bc its pricey! One gallon runs about $1600 but that is more than enough to paint your car twice. I used 3 quarts and still had paint left over and the car has about 5 coats of paint.

Now, the '04 mystichrome is a lot cheaper and you can get it a lot easier. I bought a quart of it for $100 when I was contemplating painting my car this color instead of the original mystic.

nckissfan

Nevermore
Established Member
Mystichrome is not as nice as Mystic, in my opinion. It is pretty cool looking, but just something about the combo of colors in the Mystic that make it so much better.

blwnmstc

Established Member
how bad is the damage, also the paint is not cheap. Not sure if they still are as protective of the color as they were, but they use to require a rep. to come out and see the damage and determine the right amount of paint hat would be needed. A.k.A. so you couldn't buy extra and resell it or try and copy it etc.
The dent is pretty deep, I tried to post pix but my photobucket account was acting up. Im sure the paint is not too bad cuz iv seen a couple cars and they don't look any different.

blwnmstc

Established Member
It used to be this way butler not anymore. The only thing you need now is your vin # and lots of money bc its pricey! One gallon runs about $1600 but that is more than enough to paint your car twice. I used 3 quarts and still had paint left over and the car has about 5 coats of paint.

Now, the '04 mystichrome is a lot cheaper and you can get it a lot easier. I bought a quart of it for $100 when I was contemplating painting my car this color instead of the original mystic.

Did u have to buy a gallon or can it bought by quarts? Cuz I would hate to have so much paint left over.

Beerdog80

Crazy Oklahoman
Established Member

This. And as already mentioned, if the rest of the paint is in poor condition, that panel it going to look really out of place.

IMO, it would be worth doing the rest of the car while your at it. At the very least have them do a quick scuff and shoot so the whole car matches.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
If the paint overall is getting ragged, and you can afford it, do the whole car. It will enhance the value of your Mystic Cobra as well as insure that you don't have a noticeable mismatch. JMO.

I love the Mystic paint. More so than the Mystichrome. The two are enough different where you can pick a favorite. I like the predominant purple hues in the Mystic vs. the predominant blue/green hues in the Mystichrome.

04RedfireVert

Is it Friday yet?
Established Member
My wife has had various items painted Mystic on her car. The brake calipers and brackets, underside of the hood, hood struts, interior pieces, supercharger pulley, and even the Sirius radio antenna. I'll have to browse through her receipts to see how much the paint was.

Although more expensive, I don't remember it being outrageously more. ( I am getting older and the memory IS the first thing to go I've heard)

mysicman

Resident Pill Pusher
Established Member
How can they charge $800+ a quart when I was told that a gallon of mystic paint would be $16XX.xx?

Because I live in Canada:shrug:

Shipping and brokerage into Canada on anything is outrageous, then add on that it is classified as dangerous goods and they gouge you pretty good. I forget what they estimated materials alone would be but it made my jaw drop! You can pretty much count on paying double for anything by the time it reaches your door up here.

Lucky for me my paint is in good shape, especially considering it is original. Of course who wouldn't want a showstopping paintjob if money was no object.

Anyone want to look after my car somewhere in Maine perhaps when it comes time for paint:poke:

Last edited:

blwnmstc

Established Member
If the paint overall is getting ragged, and you can afford it, do the whole car. It will enhance the value of your Mystic Cobra as well as insure that you don't have a noticeable mismatch. JMO.

I love the Mystic paint. More so than the Mystichrome. The two are enough different where you can pick a favorite. I like the predominant purple hues in the Mystic vs. the predominant blue/green hues in the Mystichrome.

The car was my brothers before it was mine and the kid that he bought it from didn't take care of it too much so its needed a paint job. Me and my brother always were on top of keeping it clean so it wouldn't look too bad and even like that I always get compliments.

I m gonna end painting the hole car, I might have to wait a month or two to do cuz ill have the extra money that its gonna take to paint it but it will be worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread