Feud at work! Roush P-51 Mustang vs. 02' Z06?

CAPTAIN JACK

Established Member
Hi All! I sell Roush units and delivered 2 P51a's this month, and the owners are calling in that the car is a " monster ". The torque rating is 510 lb. ft., as is the hp at the crank.
This race will be interesting, the mustang must watch his launch revs., so much torque, he could go up in smoke. The tvs blower puts out 13 lbs. of boost, and you guys have the correct weight, 3353 dry, before Roush gets it, I reckon somewhere over 3590, with the weight of blower etc. and, as for handling the car should break over 1.20 lg. Go Roush !!

180ls1

Established Member
Hi All! I sell Roush units and delivered 2 P51a's this month, and the owners are calling in that the car is a " monster ". The torque rating is 510 lb. ft., as is the hp at the crank.
This race will be interesting, the mustang must watch his launch revs., so much torque, he could go up in smoke. The tvs blower puts out 13 lbs. of boost, and you guys have the correct weight, 3353 dry, before Roush gets it, I reckon somewhere over 3590, with the weight of blower etc. and, as for handling the car should break over 1.20 lg. Go Roush !!

Maybe 1.2 g for a split secong but not around a whole turn.

Fastfords

Established Member
is this car faster than the gt500? The gt500 and the c6 I read was a drivers race and a z06 is slightly faster than a c6.

Not sure about that. On the corvette forums a 08' C6 went 11.7 at something like 119mph.

I would think the P-51 would have the advantage but probably not as easy to 60ft as the C5Z. Also depends on the condition of the Z, assuming it does not need plugs, wires, or a tune. Would really like to see a vid of this though.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
i say drivers race with the edge to the z. the vettes hook like crazy and more than one driver has pulled a 11 sec run on stock run flats.

p51 is a low 12 car. on tires i would say high 11's. get the p51 a set a of dr's and you will have a damn good race from a dig!:beer:

matt888

Established Member
The run will be at the track, but we're also trying to setup the two from a roll. We will get it on video. I'll post it in this thread when it happens. They want to get to this before it gets any hotter in FL.

Jroc

Established Member
I think the Roush will win with equal drivers.

Does the Roush have BFG G-Force KD's or the crappy Cooper tires?

blueovalfan

Established Member
LMAO... :lol:

Uh..yeah
a bone stock C5 Z06 has gone high 11.8 @ 118mph
http://www.rangeracceleration.com/02_Z06_Stk_Tires.html

and a bone stock C6 Z06 has gone 10.9 @ 128mph
http://www.z06vette.com/forums/f114/10-second-stock-c6-corvette-z06-run-flats-108217/

Do you live in a cave?

Ok, fine u got me, 1 person got it in the 10's in the perfect conditions, the average 70 year old man that would buy that car would not come close to the skill and perfect conditions that that guy had.

Im a mustang guy through and through but I know what the mustang is, and what it was ment for. The same as the vette, it is a bad ass car and it is most often out of the mustangs league, but this time I think the mustang should get it.

S8ER01Z

Established Member
Ok, fine u got me, 1 person got it in the 10's in the perfect conditions, the average 70 year old man that would buy that car would not come close to the skill and perfect conditions that that guy had.

Im a mustang guy through and through but I know what the mustang is, and what it was ment for. The same as the vette, it is a bad ass car and it is most often out of the mustangs league, but this time I think the mustang should get it.

That is correct sir. 1 Person but that still means it has happened. :)

Besides not all cars are piloted by geriatrics that can't drive. :p To assume the mustang will always win because the other person can't drive it kind of naive isn't it?

usmcrebel

Established Member
as long as the mustang launches well, it's over for the Z, 3500lb c5z (average weight man) and a 3700 ( average man).....200lbs is a lot, but the added tq of the P51 will hake up for that, and then the larger power curve will go to the roush.....BUT, if the roush screwballs the launch the Z has it.

415ZR1

Established Member
If the Mustang weighs 3,600 lbs. and has 510 hp then it should have the advantage.
11 second bone stock Z's do not happen very often. On stock rubber you will see them run from 12.2 to 12.6 trapping 114-117 depending on driver and the condition of the car.
Sounds like both of these cars can be low 12 second cars with the advantage going to the hp if the run is a true quarter mile. That mustang should trap 120+

Only one way to find out, everything else is speculation. Go get them lined up and report back. :)

Now as far as the steriotype of all vette owners being 70 and can't drive...................................."I'm your huckleberry" :)

Last edited:

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
the mustang has more power but its not as much as people believe.

assuming 3500 for a mustang and 100lbs for roush blower intercooler and other gadgets we get 3600/510 ~ 7.06
as for he z it is more straight foward. 3200/405 ~ 7.90

on the fast list at the corvette forums 8 out of the 16 stock times showed a 1.7 or 1.8 short time. another 6 were 1.9 or better. 14 out of 16 were able to 60 times below 2.0.

does anyone believe the stock p51 can cut a short time under 2.0 without drag radials?

if it cant will be one hell of a race! if it can the mustang will pull away at the end.

415ZR1

Established Member
Z's weigh 3100 lbs. 3100/405 = 7.65
with aftermarket exhaust they can weight as little as 3050

the mustang has more power but its not as much as people believe.

assuming 3500 for a mustang and 100lbs for roush blower intercooler and other gadgets we get 3600/510 ~ 7.06
as for he z it is more straight foward. 3200/405 ~ 7.90

on the fast list at the corvette forums 8 out of the 16 stock times showed a 1.7 or 1.8 short time. another 6 were 1.9 or better. 14 out of 16 were able to 60 times below 2.0.

does anyone believe the stock p51 can cut a short time under 2.0 without drag radials?

if it cant will be one hell of a race! if it can the mustang will pull away at the end.

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
i say drivers race with the edge to the z. the vettes hook like crazy and more than one driver has pulled a 11 sec run on stock run flats.

p51 is a low 12 car. on tires i would say high 11's. get the p51 a set a of dr's and you will have a damn good race from a dig!:beer:

I'm just curious how the p51 would be a low 12 sec car when it's lower powered brother (427R) went 12.20 in automatic trim? The P51 has 80 more RWHP and over a hundred more RWTQ- how does that NOT equate to a faster car?

It'll still be a damn good race but I'd give the advantage to the P51 IF he can drive. ...now against a C6Z?- not a chance in hell!!

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
I'm just curious how the p51 would be a low 12 sec car when it's lower powered brother (427R) went 12.20 in automatic trim? The P51 has 80 more RWHP and over a hundred more RWTQ- how does that NOT equate to a faster car?

when did the 427 run 12.2? was that on drs? what was the short time?

power to weight is not that different. the vette has proven time and time again to run from a dig much better than a stock mustang regardless of power.
p51 3600/510 ~ 7.06
z06 3100/405 ~ 7.65

under ideal conditions with a great driver can the p51 run a 11.7x? and if it can it would only be running the same times that the vette can run. i dont believe it can run that fast on stock tires(on dr's yes the p51 should run this fast or slightly better). so i give the edge to the vette. not saying the mustang can not win, just saying he will have to outdrive the vette for the win.:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread