Few Parts Installed. JLT CF, Smoked Corners, Hood Lifts

chuckstang

Established Member
I have redlines and they do not bow my hood while closed. I had the steeda which is just like most of the other bolt on kits and it would bow my hood up a bit in the middle when shut. Not good for the long haul!

The hood is designed to bend in certain areas during an accident to prevent the hood from going through your windsheild and the bolt on kits towards the rear of the hood hold the hood up right were one of the break away points are hence why it can cuase bowing of the hood.

Not saying these are bad, they sound good just throwing this out there

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
You say a delete is a delete is a delete but yet you say the Roush kit does have a muffler in front of the axle so why would I assume that sounds like my current set up? I am unsure what exactly is done to the Roush cat back as far as muffler goes, I assume it is just a perforated resonator like the pic you posted. Have you found that the Roush muffler/resonator affects the sound of the exhaust at all?

I'm surprised you don't like Roush tips. The SLP tips are nice but I wish they were slash cut. I wonder if there is any power difference between any of these setups. Probably not.

Chuck, I think you're getting confused between the Axle back muffler deletes and the actual Roush CAT-back tailpipes that contain the muffler.

The Roush Extreme Offroad CAT-back contains a set of over-axle tails that has the muffler. This kit INCLUDES a pair of axle-back deletes (cropped in picture below).

Roushdeletes.jpg

The deletes above are what I will probably sell. Not the tailpipes that contain the muffler section (see below).

What I was trying to explain in my previous post was that swapping from SLP LM-1 deletes that you currently have; over to the Roush deletes with the 4" rolled tips; the sound won't be that different. Keep in mind both cases here you'd be using the factory, stock, tailpipes. The Roush should be a touch louder and have more popping (since all you're changing is to the tip size).

Now, refer to the picture below and you can see the muffler section of the Roush Extreme catback. They are a louvered-core muffler and yes, they affect the sound of the exhaust very much compared to a factory-location axle back/muffler setup. They are deeper/smoother than running just deletes on the stock tails as well. Still quite loud unto themselves (again, refer to the youtube vid links).

RoushTails.jpg

Now that I've separated the pictures, do you understand that the Roush muffled tails can be used with any axle-back setup you'd like? Whether it be deletes or another axleback muffler setup? Hence why I'm running the SLP deletes, with the RoushExtreme mid-muffler tails.

My point was, that from what you've described to me, you like the 4" rolled edge tips and want something smoother and deeper than what you're running. The entire Roush Extreme Offroad Catback fits what you're looking for (just install the entire thing).

:beer:

Last edited:

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
The hood is designed to bend in certain areas during an accident to prevent the hood from going through your windsheild and the bolt on kits towards the rear of the hood hold the hood up right were one of the break away points are hence why it can cause bowing of the hood.

Not saying these are bad, they sound good just throwing this out there

The brackets are cast aluminum. Cheap stuff; so if they get smacked, I seriously doubt they're going to stay in 1-piece and be strong enough to change the impact of the hood. You are correct in what you're saying though :beer:

My NXT's don't bow the hood at all ;-)

Bonefish

FKNGFST
Established Member
So I am also curious about the front smoke turn signals. Was this a lense only replacement? Complete replacement or something else? How easy?

Same with rear reflectors?

I bought tint for most of the lights on my car...but, turn signal and rear reflector are not covered at the moment..

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
Corners and side markers are really easy. It is a complete lens/housing assembly. The Ziza turn lenses are the only ones I found that match the OEM construction. Mine fit perfectly and I have 0-patience for crap fitting aftermarket parts.

Ziza Lighting sells on Ebay; they're about $50/pair.

Ziza :: performance automotive lighting
2005-2008 Mustang Smoked Bumper Turn Signals : eBay Motors (item 320362395665 end time Mar-16-10 10:58:17 PDT)

I used the Stealth Auto chrome/amber bulbs. 3157 and 194, need 1-pair of each. They look 'chrome' when off so you don't see them and light up amber as shown in the pics in original post.

Chrome Bulbs, Mirror Bulbs look silver but flash amber when lit. - Stealth Auto

The rear side markers are easy to install as well, you'll want to get a non-marring pry-tool and pry at the rear edge of the marker.

I replaced my rear side marker bulbs with regular 194 red bulbs:
Auto Bulbs - 194 - Red by Victor - Part V-194R - Advance Auto Parts

And I'm going to add VDO red bulb covers to diffuse the light a little more and make it more "red" VDO Gauges 600861 - VDO Light Bulb Covers - Overview - SummitRacing.com

I'll post before/after night shots.

You can find more info on how to install/replace the signal lenses here:
Ziza Install

I did NOT remove my front tires, but I jacked it up on the K member in the front and just cut the tires L/R as necessary to get to the inner fender liner clips.

Rear corners: 05 06 07 08 FORD MUSTANG REAR BUMPER SIDE MARKER LAMPS : eBay Motors (item 390158959791 end time Mar-19-10 19:05:49 PDT)

Last edited:

Bonefish

FKNGFST
Established Member
Thanks for the info man! I might be selling my redline hood shocks and get me a pair of the NXT ones...I think I like the no drilling part.

Also nice on the turn signal and rear reflectors. Sounds a bit more complex than the hood shocks...as I am a bit of a novice on this stuff but, maybe I'll attempt it..or have someone assist.

I need to get a bigger garage area so, I have more room to spread out. Right now where I am at it is kind of close quarters. Apartment complex so, I can really only work in my garage that is pretty small.

Bonefish

FKNGFST
Established Member

Bonefish: The lights aren't hard. Just takes a little time ;-)

I'll probably try them as they look bad ass!

I got to thinking about this...so, you jacked up your car to make it easier to get behind the front the lights as opposed to laying on the ground? You mention turning the wheels. I assume you have to go in through the front of the front fender wells to gain access to this? The light would just pop out? Or are they screwed in? The more I think about it..it is starting to make sense...and seems more time involved getting to it to change it but, not that hard to actually do it.

Tucker

It all looks great.
The problem with a 1 piece is shipping. It is a huge box and would be at least $65-75 depending on location.
Add that into the overall price and you got a part that cost $500 to your door (like the other guys painted part). The way we do it, you can spend $199 here and then $199 later and get the same effect for much less.

Once you tie them together it will look killer.

Thanks
Jay

04SCRMINYLWVERT

Established Member
'09 VB.

Also went with some Smoked rear side markers off Ebay. They all seem to be from the same mfg. for the most part, they fit and look fine. Added some standard 194 "Red" bulbs in place of the stockers. Will go back and add some silicone bulb-cap covers to make them a little more 'red' and not as bright.

Stock:
IMG_2356.jpg

Smoked:
IMG_2359.jpg

Made a shorty 18" antenna out of a stock Ford unit. For the time involved and cost...just go buy an 18" or whatever length you want. Pulling the little ball off required me placing it in a bench vise, thus ruining the paint, so I had to repaint the whole antenna; Dremel/cut stem to length and epoxy the ball back on top. Mine looks great now, but again, for the time involved just look around and get the length you want.

This shot is at dusk, really bad lighting...w/smoked lenses installed. This makes them look a lot darker than they actually are.

IMG_2371.jpg

Gratz it looks Great! Don't drive it in CA you'll get a ticket for the rear here. Something about having red reflectors on the sides in the rear :nonono: I should move.

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
I may get nailed for something; but it will be a "fix it" ticket here usually. If anything. We have too many rednecks with illegal tires/exhaust/lights ,etc. etc. for them to chase (which they don't).

Jay: I understand for sure and the pieces look great! I still think a 1-pce CF would be sliiiick though :beer:

Bonefish: If you want an illustrated install go here: Ziza Install

All I did was jack the front up under the center of the K; cut the wheels L/R as necessary to remove the forward section of the inner fender liner and yes, I went under the car to roll the light out the bottom and to get to the harnesses easier.

The lights have 1-tongue tab to the center of the vehicle and 2-pushpin retention posts to the outboard side. (See link above).

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
Just an update.

Ordered Headlight Armor "light smoke" material for the fogs.

I wanted the fogs to not stand out as being so clear/chrome; wanted them to look like the main headlight reflector.

The "Light smoke" material accomplished that part.

Now typically I can deal with vinyl/decals/stickers, etc. etc. no problem. But unless you've done it a few times I strongly suggest you REMOVE your fogs from the car to install the film. Our fog lenses are convex/domed and up in the recess you can't really get to the surface properly to compress the material onto the lens properly.

That said; I tried to do it anyway thinking I'd have the patience for it. I didn't. Shit didn't stick too good either...dunno, but for once I'll let it go as user error.

Today..

Before:
IMG_2389.jpg

After:
IMG_2392.jpg

IMG_2393.jpg

My end result...

IMG_2394.jpg

So, back to the drawing board.

chuckstang

Established Member
It all looks great.
The problem with a 1 piece is shipping. It is a huge box and would be at least $65-75 depending on location.
Add that into the overall price and you got a part that cost $500 to your door (like the other guys painted part). The way we do it, you can spend $199 here and then $199 later and get the same effect for much less.

Once you tie them together it will look killer.

Thanks
Jay

I know I dont have a jlt cai, but please build the cf extensions to fit other cai's

:-D

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
I know I dont have a jlt cai, but please build the cf extensions to fit other cai's

:-D

Do the radiator extensions interfere with the FRPP heat shield? Looks like the back edge would just a little bit. 10 mins with a Dremel and cut the rear "lip" off the JLT CF extension panel (where it turns down on the back, vertical wall) just trim it flush and re-seal the edge with some Epoxy. Nobody will know you've been there when finished out. Wear a mask and eye protection if you decide to trim the CF though. Nasty stuff; do not inhale.

:beer: :rockon:

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
Just a small update.

Got some VDO bulb slip covers for the rear side markers.

VDO P/n: 600861 They will fit the T10/194 bulbs.

These were fitted over an already "red" tinted bulb. I wanted the light to be more "red" and diffuse a little less, so these were the solution.

IMG_2397.jpg

IMG_2405.jpg

Before (red bulb, no cover) (taken in low light/overcast day)

IMG_2406.jpg

After (with cover) Color is richer and less "diffused" so it's not quite as bright and is more "red". When illuminated, this looks extremely close to the OEM red reflector when it was lit.

IMG_2407.jpg

And yes...the car is nasty; got caught in a light rain shower the other night.

Last edited:

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
Just an update.

Got the Lamin-X light smoke fog overlay tints installed.

Overcast day here and right at dark when these were taken, so everything looks a little darker than it actually is.

IMG_2414.jpg

IMG_2415.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread