Finally ran my Vortech'd '12 in the 1/4 mile, not too happy with the results!

chico_mustangs

Established Member
I finally got to run my '12 GT with a Vortech on Saturday at Sacramento Raceway. The car itself has a Greyhound X-pipe, Magnaflow catback, Roush upper control arm, 3:73's, Vortech V3 supercharger, and a 4in power pipe. The car put down 625/491 on the dyno at AED here in Norcal. My rev limiter is set down to 6800 because my tuner says its unsafe to go any higher due to a pegged MAF and injectors. I personally think between shifting into 5th right before the end due to the 3:73's and the low rev limiter its killing what my car could run.

Anyone have an educated guess or idea on why I am only running an 11.1@123 putting down those dyno numbers?

2011-12-17_22-36-40_657.gif

Last edited:

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
That's weird you're only picking up 23mph on the big end...It should be more than that. What does the car weigh in at? What gas and boost are you running?

Last edited:

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
Without actually seeing the run it's hard to tell.

It's my opinion that centrifugal blowers are the wrong application for this car. The 5.0 is a bit high strung to begin with. yeah you're making big power with your V3, but what's the meat of your curve look like?

If you're only making that power for 1500 rpm, that might be an indicator of why you're seeing the results you are. Supra syndrome if you will.

With that said, having to shift in to 5th is definitely hurting you. While 5th is still the 1:1 gear in these cars, that extra shift does take time, which hurts you at the long end.

Going to a taller tire may be helpful in this instance.

BV600

Established Member
Why does the vortech peg the maf and injectors, What injectors do you have? Theres a handful of Procharger cars out there running good, I dont see a Vortech being that diff.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
Why does the vortech peg the maf and injectors, What injectors do you have? Theres a handful of Procharger cars out there running good, I dont see a Vortech being that diff.

This is somewhat dependent on how the intake piping is routed. sharp bends right before or aft of the meter can change airflow velocities quite a bit.

This can give false airflow readings in some cases. I know there are 900+hp turbo cars around on the stock MAF sensor.

chico_mustangs

Established Member
I am not sure what the car weighs, it has no weight reduction at all. Its just under 9lbs of boost. The car has a set of Hoosier 28in Radials on it that are getting to the end of their life. The kit comes with Ford 47lb GT500 injectors. Here is a copy of my dyno sheet if that will help at all.

Scan43.jpg

chico_mustangs

Established Member
i tried the shifting into 5 th thing slowed car down raise the limiter and or bigger tires/3.55
As far as I know the largest tire I can fit is a 28in which I already have. I think I am going to put my stock 3:31's back in it and run her hopefully before the track closes for the winter.

Impetuous

Common sense isn't common
Established Member
As far as I know the largest tire I can fit is a 28in which I already have. I think I am going to put my stock 3:31's back in it and run her hopefully before the track closes for the winter.

I would go down to 3.55s at a minimum. These engines like to rev and the gears help them to get to their sweet spot quicker. Your problem seems to be traction and not being able to keep it in 4th thru the traps.

Bad Intention

Established Member
It's my opinion that centrifugal blowers are the wrong application for this car. The 5.0 is a bit high strung to begin with. yeah you're making big power with your V3, but what's the meat of your curve look like?

I know my set up is lil different than his , but still a centrifugal (Procharger P1-sc) i have had alot of people tell me that because of my lower TQ. my car would never run with top mound blower. Because they make so much more Tq. and Peak HP faster. My car ran 10.36 @ 133.33 on 9# of boost. So im not sure How these type blower are the wrong application for these cars.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
I know my set up is lil different than his , but still a centrifugal (Procharger P1-sc) i have had alot of people tell me that because of my lower TQ. my car would never run with top mound blower. Because they make so much more Tq. and Peak HP faster. My car ran 10.36 @ 133.33 on 9# of boost. So im not sure How these type blower are the wrong application for these cars.

Again, that's just my opinion. You can certainly run a number with them. With the narrow power band, you've gotta have the setup to get there as quick as possible.

In the OP's situation, he's making power for a small fraction of his rpm band. The lowered rev limit, too much gear are all affecting it.

I never said that you couldn't make power or run good numbers. I would just choose a different power adder on this motor if it was me.

Bad Intention

Established Member
Again, that's just my opinion. You can certainly run a number with them. With the narrow power band, you've gotta have the setup to get there as quick as possible.

In the OP's situation, he's making power for a small fraction of his rpm band. The lowered rev limit, too much gear are all affecting it.

I never said that you couldn't make power or run good numbers. I would just choose a different power adder on this motor if it was me.

Ok i understand what you are saying. he would def. benifit by raising rev limiter. That way when he would shift he wouldnt fall so far out the powerband

I have 3.73's and prob going to put my 3.15 back in and see how it goes.

corepwn

Established Member
You're not making the power that you think you are, well it's not available to you at least.

If 6800 is your rev limiter you're peaking around 560rwhp @ 6700ish. That's down a fair amount from your 7200rpm hp peak on the dyno.

This is still plenty of power IMO for 10s and a higher trap though.

2011redcandy

Established Member
This is the reason why wastegated prochargers have been talked about so much on this car. Allows you to be at full boost by 3500 instead of just starting to build boost.

Last edited:

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
the shift into 5th is hurting you for sure.

your 60's are hurting you for sure. you are .2 off on your 60' which is at least .3 in the 1/4.

you get your 60's to 1.4's and your running 10.8's already.

My vortech auto with the stock converter and 550rwhp went 10.8's.

As we talked about in pm's. Personally, I think some bigger injectors and someone that can tune the maf (Jon Lund), and you will get alot more out of the car.

Users who are viewing this thread