Finally Tuned, Speedys Dyno, Owensboro KY

Snarf

Lacey Chabert FTW!
Established Member
All I can say is WOW! Greg and Sean are top-notch class-acts! I was impressed with every step of the process, from how cordial and down to earth Sean was on the phone two weeks ago when I made my appt, to how Greg went out of his way to explain the process behind tuning the car, and what each little intricacy of the SCT software meant, to Sean and greg both going out of their way to help an older retired man find and order a replacement alternator for his car within a few moments of him rolling up asking for help after my car was done being tuned.

The car is running amazingly well, it pulls like a monster all the way up to 6700 [as far as I had the balls to rev it, lol]. The tune is well on the safe side, and should let the engine live for many many years of fun. Conversely, I would like to call up ATS and bitch a holy hell storm with Rick on how totally jacked up his email tune was for my car.. ugh... The car would have blown up had I not been as easy on it as i was for the duration. Picture the carnage 16+ A/F w/ 26 degrees on 15.5 psi would have caused.

To summarize, Sean, Greg, thank you guys SO MUCH! I am so releived to have the car running like its supposed to! You have earned a customer for life, no joke! I will do my best to send as many of my buddies your way for tuning services, or just anything they may need done. Its rare these days to find a shop that actually cares for its customers, and does its darn best to do them well every time. If you live within a 6 hour radius of Owensboro, you have no exscuse at all to go anywhere else for dyno work. I would drive twice the distance to have them tune my car again.

I am proudly sporting some of Speedys stickers, some pics will be up soon :)

Thanks again guys!!

www.speedydyno.com

-Derek Smith

500/540 STP
521/571 DJ

My power mods are: 2.93/4lb/Stg4 blower pl/tb, 60s, BA2400, BAP @ 25%, TR6s @ .35, FIPK2, Bassani ORX, magnaflow C/B and 3.73s

Here's the vid Sean @ Speedy's made-
http://host.stangsource.com/sloryd/SD%20dy.../DerekSmith.wmv

Last edited:

Turkish

The Perpetrator
Established Member
That's some hella Torque! I emailed Sean last night to see if they tune with Diablosport.

TorchedCoupe

Established Member
I've never heard of these guys before.. And to think I have been trailering the car up to Modular Depot in Southgate everytime I need a tune.. Ahh.. I'm going to need to be retuned again this month.:D

SVT0369

#1798 of 1896
Established Member
TorchedCoupe said:
I've never heard of these guys before.. And to think I have been trailering the car up to Modular Depot in Southgate everytime I need a tune.. Ahh.. I'm going to need to be retuned again this month.:D
In your sig you have Steig Stage V. What is stage 5? I thought 4 was as high as they went?

TorchedCoupe

Established Member
SVT0369 said:
In your sig you have Steig Stage V. What is stage 5? I thought 4 was as high as they went?
Typo..:beer:

Anyway, after my tune from Modular Depot two weeks ago, the car went lean.. I'm assuming she sucked in the last of the remaining 93 octane while on a tune for 110. Now I've got to drain the tanks and calibrate my boost bypass actuator. Hopefully I will be in the 500 range then.
With all my mods I only hit 450 hp. I'm hoping it is just because I disregarded the mounting of the boost bypass.

Maybe I'll try out Speedy's Dyno. How long have they been open?

Last edited:

Snarf

Lacey Chabert FTW!
Established Member
Speedys has been open 5-6 years and have been tuning for about 3-4. They have a superflow dyno, and Greg has spent a lot of time @ SCT getting trained in the jedi ways of tuning, lol. They've tuned countless cobras and GTs.

I'll continue to make the drive for their services as long as I still have cobras :)

Turkish

The Perpetrator
Established Member
Derek, you didn't happen to notice if they mess with Diablosport did you?

MikeW

Established Member
Congrats! I know Sean and is a great guy. He was in our local SVTOA chapter and we dont get to see him much any more... I guess he is busy at the shop :beer:

I had a ATS tune that acted the same way ... Glad you found the fix and I hope you enjoy the new Power!

TriPodRacing

U MAD?
Established Member
So 26* timing was your old tune?

If its your new tune that seems like a lot. I have seen most go with 19* with your setup for the street.

04CobraMatt

Established Member
I have an emailed 91oct tune from ATS for stock S/C and stock Boost. maxes out at 24.5* timming. Is that to much for 91oct at stock boost levels? the car runs great and pulls smooth. Dont have a wideband installed yet but the after-cat dyno reading was showing low 12's last year so its probably to rich.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Derek, did you ever discuss that old tune with Rick?

And your new numbers are awesome! Feels good, eh?

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
Congrats on the numbers and the new tune but there are other great tuners in Kentucky! Just look at my windshield! Blankenship Tuning and Performance. He's located just outside of Louisville.

Last edited:

Snarf

Lacey Chabert FTW!
Established Member
CobraBob said:
Derek, did you ever discuss that old tune with Rick?

And your new numbers are awesome! Feels good, eh?

Nah man I havent said anything to Rick about this, and honestly I really don't even care to. I'm done with those guys. It was like pulling teeth getting updates from them, and then after seeing how flat out astronomically horrible the tune was.. man, I've just got no interest in even talkin with them any more.

At this point I'm just glad to have my car working correctly. The car is a darn rocket now, lol.. man its SO fun!

slo-ryd

SCT Certified
Established Member
Snarf said:
I am proudly sporting some of Speedys stickers, some pics will be up soon :)

Thanks again guys!

Glad we got it lined out Derek, thanks for coming. :coolman:

97topless snake said:
Congrats! I know Sean and is a great guy. He was in our local SVTOA chapter and we dont get to see him much any more...

Hey Mike! Sorry I haven't made it down in a while. I enjoy talking to you and your dad. And I really appreciated Don's help in the pits at Bowling Green last year :rockon:
I helped start and incorporate an MCA club here in Owensboro..we've been busy to say the least.
We're having a Mustang Round-Up here in Sept 22 and would love for some of you guys to make it up.

Rick@Amazon

SVT God
Established Member
Snarf said:
The car is running amazingly well, it pulls like a monster all the way up to 6700 [as far as I had the balls to rev it, lol]. The tune is well on the safe side, and should let the engine live for many many years of fun. Conversely, I would like to call up ATS and bitch a holy hell storm with Rick on how totally jacked up his email tune was for my car.. ugh... The car would have blown up had I not been as easy on it as i was for the duration. Picture the carnage 16+ A/F w/ 26 degrees on 15.5 psi would have caused.

You should have call me on this Derek and ask me what timing was in the car and what air fuel. First of the borderline knock table is at 18 degrees at 5k and 19degrees at 6.5k. Global adder is 0 and all adders are set to "0" except Spark adder for a/f when open loop and at full load it's set to 3. So at 5k total timing can not exceed 21 and at 6.5k it can't exceed 22 degrees. This tune is in over 100 cars with a combo like yours with minor tweeks per the customer's mods. All there air fuels have been in the 11.4-11.8 range. The only way timing can be high is if the car is not at wot and in a higher timing table. Carpet under xcellerator or not fully depressed.

As far as pulling teeth to get updates here is the records from my e-mail account.

1. Tune requested 2/28/07 1:35 pm Tune sent 3/1/07 9:55 am
Customer's comment:
Rick
Hello again! This tune is working great for me, I was especially pleased with the A/F on it! Could you adjust my tune for a stage 4 ported eaton, as well as a set of 60 lb/hr injectors in addition to my allready listed mods?

Thanks very much!

-Derek Smith

2. Tune requested 4/2/07 2:57 pm Tune sent 4/3/07 2:23 FREE retune for new mods
Customer complained of bad hesitation. Car had bad TPS and FRPS replaced

3. Tune requested 4/22/07 9:45 Tune sent 4/23/07 10:44 am FREE retune

Customer's comments: that's a TON better Rick, that almost cured it all! its still hesitating a small bit @ 2800-3k under very slight throttle. if you mat it, it pulls padt it fine. thanks for your help!

4. Tune requested 4/23/07 10:58 am Tune sent 4/23/07 5:05 pm FREE retune
Resent 4/26/07 11:55 am
Resent again 4/30/07 5:51 pm

During this entire time customer never sent one datalog to me to help him find the problem with the hesitation. We will do anything to make our customers happy. In this case I guess it was not enough to get all the free retunes in a 24 hour period. Most of the retunes were done because of a bad tps and frps. We bent over backwards to help and you never once complained to me and for that you threw us under the bus. I'm glad your happy with your car now.

Rick

Snarf

Lacey Chabert FTW!
Established Member
In Rick's defense the tune for the car prior to the 60s and Stg 4 were fine. I was even okay with the car not running as perfect as it could, with it beign an amial tune and all. What upset me was how freakin dangerous the tune you sent me was. Perhaps something was messed up in with the file, who knows, but I can scan in the dyno readouts i got a speedys that show what the car was set at when I got there if you like.

If I had not been as easy on the car as I was, it would have destroyed itself. That's what ticked me off man. I understand nobody is perfect, and stuff happens all the time to all the best ppl, but if you were in my situation, how would you feel?

My shit almost blew itself in half on your tune, that would have sucked man.

Thanks again speedys!!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread