Find FR500 Cat Back Exhaust

Ryushin

Established Member
I've been looking all day and can not find the FR500 exhaust (M-5230-M58) anywhere. It's been discontinued for a few months now and I found out about it early in the spring. Well, I think I'd rather have that instead of the quiet borla cat back. Does anyone know where I still might find one? If I knew they were going to be discontinued I would have bought it last year.

Last edited:

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
can't help you, but good luck finding one

Seems to me that people really love it so it doesn't show up much in the used market

Last edited:

Ryushin

Established Member
Then is the Borla non-stinger going to be the quietest cat back that I'll still see decent performance gains from? I can still get the the FR500 mufflers if I don't mind fabricating my own exhaust.

OrangeCobra2004

Established Member
Why don't you go with the steeda catback.? It the samething as the quiet borla, but has better looking tips. I also think it is cheaper.

1BADASVT

The Whine is Fine
Established Member
I had the FR500 catback and found it way too quiet for me, even when the baffles opened up. Sold it long ago.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
IMO the Steeda catback (which I used) is perfect for those wanting something a tad quieter than, say, a Magnaflow or Bassani catback. No harsh droning, either. I originally had a Magnaflow catback but it was just too loud for me (and my wife). Switched to the Steeda following up on a recommendation from a fellow SVTP member and was delighted. A friend of mine, by the way, had a Bassani catback on his '03 Cobra and I can tell you it definitely was louder (although not by a great amount) than my Steeda except at idle.

Ryushin

Established Member
Well, since this is my daily driver, I would want it as quiet as possible while still seeing a good HP gain. The FR500 gave me that. I hope the quiet borla will be comparable. What is the difference between the quiet (non-stinger) borla and the steeda? I thought they were the same except the steeda had had their logo etched into the tips.

I wonder who Ford had make the FR500 exhaust. If they are a their own manufacture, maybe I can see if I can get one from them.

I can still buy the FR500 mufflers, so I guess one can be fabricated. Though that seems like a serious pain to do correctly.

Maybe I have no choice but to go with the quiet borla.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
The quiet Borla and the Steeda are similar, but not the same. I talked to Borla back in 2003 and confirmed this. The Steeda catback was manufactured to Steeda specs. Not to Borla's.

FromGTtoSVT

can't believe I am still here
Established Member
there is a reason the FR500 was discontinued...becuase it sucked. I bought my car used and that was one of the only mods on it..i quickly changed it out becuase of how bad it made the car sound

the built in X pipe and baffles in that exhuast set up give it a really bad sound IMHO. I took it off, sold it and switched to the stingers and the stock H...

I'd get the quiet borla if i was you

chopps

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Established Member
there is a reason the FR500 was discontinued...becuase it sucked. I bought my car used and that was one of the only mods on it..i quickly changed it out becuase of how bad it made the car sound

the built in X pipe and baffles in that exhuast set up give it a really bad sound IMHO. I took it off, sold it and switched to the stingers and the stock H...

I think the mufflers are the most quiet of all of the magnaflow,borla,bassani and all the others.
I have had/have bassani,magnaflow's and speedrex's and all were LOUD imo.
Also I think it was discontinued because no one would pay that high price but it worked like it says , quiet under 2500 rpms and then the flap opens and it gets loud :)

Ryushin

Established Member
The quiet Borla and the Steeda are similar, but not the same. I talked to Borla back in 2003 and confirmed this. The Steeda catback was manufactured to Steeda specs. Not to Borla's.

Did Borla happen to say which one was quieter or what the differences were?

Ryushin

Established Member

The few sound bites that I've heard of it, it seems sounds like a exotic super car. Which was pretty cool in my opinion.

Ryushin

Established Member
I think the mufflers are the most quiet of all of the magnaflow,borla,bassani and all the others.
I have had/have bassani,magnaflow's and speedrex's and all were LOUD imo.
Also I think it was discontinued because no one would pay that high price but it worked like it says , quiet under 2500 rpms and then the flap opens and it gets loud :)

It's the quietest out of all of them. Wonderful, and now I can't get it at all.

I think it cost the same as the Borla cat back. I don't know why they canceled it. I'm starting to get the feeling, looking at FRPP's we site, that they only care about the 2005+ cars now and don't care that the other models even existed.

I wonder if I can put those mufflers into a steeda or borla catback?

Users who are viewing this thread