First ETs with the Roushcharger 2.3TVS + VMP tune

kevinp

Established Member
I dont have a ton of time these days but really wanted toi get to the track with this thing. It was snowing this morning, called the track and they said they were running today put the car on the trailer and hauled ass down to Steele Alabama where it was supposed to be sunny and 55 degrees.

Well it it turned out to be cold and rainy, good news is my weather station said -400 feet DA, bad news was the track was a mess and there was only about 10 cars there.

This is exactly how I ran the car:

Roush 2.3 TVS 90mm 'tuner' kit right at 7psi. (+70lbs)
VMP tune
K&N stock drop in air filter
Roush rear springs
265/18 M/T radials on stock wheels @ 17psi
GT500 mufflers (-10lbs)

Only weight I removed was the jack and spare (-30lbs)
I weight 240lbs.
Everything else in the car is 100% factory, only suspension mod was the rear springs.

First pass the car spun for about 500 feet then I finally let off it completely about the 1/8 mile so it would hook and got back into it - ran a blazing 16.58 @ 97mph with a 1.96 60 foot.

Since I didnt feel like wadding up a new car with only 2200 miles on it I did the chicken shit thing (besides the auto trans chicken shit thing) and turned the traction control on. I dont think one car that was there made a clean non-spinning pass and there was a few big tire cars there as well so 18" radials on real stock suspension wasnt going to cut it.

Anyhow, small burnout, TC on, 10.839 @ 127.5mph, 1.591 60 foot.

Third pass, TC off, spun bad so I just took the short turnoff and didnt bother getting the time slip.

Fourth pass, TC on again, spun some at the top of 1st but the TC kicked in and stopped it. 10.84 @ 127.4 1.599 60'

I have to say ford has a pretty good traction control algorithm :) Not sure how much it really did but I wasnt going to push it on a very slippery track and went home.

Video here;

th_2011GTed.gif

10s.gif

I purposely left the car as stock as possible just to see how it would do, corrected to +2000 feet that would be 11.20s or so which is in-line with what Rebbecca ran with hers when they first took it out so it all makes sense Corrected to sea level it would run around 10.92 or so according to my wiz bang weather station.

So there you go, my only plans are a nice set of street wheels and tires and daily drive it - unless I get bored. Want to thank Justin from VMP for getting the tune dialed in so close by mail despite the SCT logger not working well.

Last edited:

92fiveohfox

Established Member
Very very nice! I think i've made up my mind on the roush. Just gotta wait till next year when I pay off some big bills. :D

I'm sure it would have gone faster with TC off and a decent hooking track.

Off topic but how do you like the GT500s? Im putting a nice stereo in the stang so I really dont want it any louder while cruising but I'd like it to be a tad louder while on the go pedal.

Last edited:

kevinp

Established Member
Very very nice! I think i've made up my mind on the roush. Just gotta wait till next year when I pay off some big bills. :D

I'm sure it would have gone faster with TC off and a decent hooking track.

Off topic but how do you like the GT500s? Im putting a nice stereo in the stang so I really dont want it any louder while cruising but I'd like it to be a tad louder while on the go pedal.

I'm sure it would have picked up a little with the TC off and better conditions, when you hear the tires chirp the car almost shuts off for a tiny bit when the TC pulls back on the throttle. Better than spinning the whole way down the track I guess. But the 60 foot, 1/8 mile and 1/4 mile numbers all line up pretty well so who knows. I know in my fast cars I could hit the rev limiter pretty hard and it really didnt slow the car down much.

In the summer here the DA gets well over 3000' so it will be running 11.20-11.30s or so most likely.

Best money I spent on the car (besides the blower) was the GT 500 mufflers. Ford should have put them on these cars to begin with. They are 5lbs lighter each, and sound great IMO. Idle/low RPM its almost stock, just a little better sound, floored it sounds great inside the car. I dont know what it sounds like outside but its not very loud even at full throttle inside, it may sound loud in the vids but mine was the only car running at the track, if it was normal day and there was another car next to it with a loud exhaist you wouldnt even hear it.

My biggest complaint is the tips a re a little short, I would assume if you had a GT500 lower fascia it would be better, I'm going to try to move the mid pipe back a little, just hasnt been high on my priority list :)

kevinp

Established Member
Very nice!!!

Its almost too easy, I'm not a Ford guy at all but I have to say I'm pretty impressed with these. Your car caught my eye a few months ago when it first got in the 10s, figured there had to be more to it, but there isnt. I was a little hesitant to try a mail order tune, I always tune my own cars since learning new software and PCMs keeps me interested for a couple weeks, but it worked out very well.

I just wish i could talk my wife into driving, she weighs 120lbs less than me :)

BLK93GT

Established Member
Awesome!!! That is crazy impressive times/mph. The new traction control has to be pretty sophisticated to allow that good of a 60ft time with horrible track conditions!! The auto trans and traction control look to me a killer stop light and bracket racing setup!!

kevinp

Established Member
Whats the going price for the kit? Whats the tuner kit?

Tuner kit means it comes with no programming, other than that its 100% complete. You can either do a mail order tune or if you have a local ford tuner they can do it.

Price varies on the tuner kit by a couple hundred bucks depending where you buy it from but you are looking at around 5900 shipped from most sellers. I chose VMP, they werent the cheapest, but it was worth it to know they had one on their own car and if I ran into any problems I wanted to talk to someone who actually installed one - not someone who just drop ships them and never seen one in his life. Plus I wanted to use VMPs tuning since their personal car works well so why not buy it all in one place.

kevinp

Established Member
Awesome!!! That is crazy impressive times/mph. The new traction control has to be pretty sophisticated to allow that good of a 60ft time with horrible track conditions!! The auto trans and traction control look to me a killer stop light and bracket racing setup!!

I had traction control in my BS3 and it worked great as well - so great they outlawed it in every class I was running it in lol.

But yea, on the street with the little 235/50/18 stock tires you can launch pretty damn hard with the TC on, its a little strange. I really cant say how much the TC was doing at the track since the SCT logger doesnt work for crap 90% of the time when its floored, but you could feel the car slow up after the shifts. All I know is twice with the TC off I couldnt get down the track and twice with it on it ran 10s down a cold, damp dragstrip. Coincidence perhaps but when I see back half cars with 14x32 + slicks on them blowing the tires off you know its bad..

69gt4speed

Svt God of All
Established Member
Next time try sport mode tc. That seems on the street pretty good w stock tires w the tune and cai, x/or. yea I have the auto.

Blown2004Stang

Established Member
Ditto on the traction control.. My buddy's auto with 4.10's, intake, axle back, tune, and stock tires went 11.93 @ 116mph with the traction control left on!

1HUBCAP

110 octane
Established Member
That is awesome! I need to come to Steele and check your car out.I haven't seen many modded 5.0's up this way.Do you ever go to Huntsville Dragway?

:beer:

wickedld9

Established Member
Excellent times and on a cold damp track no less!

I'm looking to pick up an 11 in the next couple of weeks. The results that you and Rebecca have been posting are making me seriously consider the auto trans. I haven't owned an auto in 16 years!!

Users who are viewing this thread