First ETs with the Roushcharger 2.3TVS + VMP tune

try03venom

Established Member
congrats Kevin! yeah 11.49 no bar no run for cars is a joke while you have bikes and sleds that run 9's all you need is a helmet and suit plus big balls!!

11Sec_Lx

Established Member
I have a couple questions for you.

1) How did you leave on those traction control on passes? Was it a flash or did you foot brake it?

2) What are your and everyone's thoughts on the life expectancy of the transmission and converter at this power level?

Very impressive results.

Thanks...

kevinp

Established Member
congrats Kevin! yeah 11.49 no bar no run for cars is a joke while you have bikes and sleds that run 9's all you need is a helmet and suit plus big balls!!

Like I said I'm all for safety, especially when what you do impacts the car in the other lane or the one that running behind you. I can bet more people have been hurt by crappy radiator hoses with loose clamps and rubber fuel line hoses then no roll bar on a 11.30 car. Hell I've seen more cars damaged by burning down on the starting and in trailers because of a badly wired relocated battery and cutoff switch then anything else :)

I have had a couple clutches let go, I'm all for the scattershield/SFI flywheel thing. But what do you do if they dont produce a belhousing?

Like anything else common sense should rule, the rules need to be there of course but they are slow to evolve. I have been racing for over 30 years and I have seen some pretty nasty stuff, from a person in a RED getting killed by a deer running across the track to top name built cars disintegrate on a moderate crash. I even hit a deer going about 110mph slowing down after a pass about 15 years ago, you never know whats going to get you..

I feel a lot safer going 10.80 in this car, with stock tires, suspension, airbags then in a 67 nova at 4x4 height with a backyard roll bar, cheap fiberglass seats bolted to the floor and enough sharp metal edges to keep a prison in shivs for 25 years.

But on the other hand if my stock balancer comes off and l hurt someone its a mess, same with a clutch exploding on the line. Hurting yourself or yoy car is one thing, but hurting someone else is a nightmare. Biggest laugh I ever had was when I hit a local 'street car' event at a NHRA track and theat car pictured above wasnt 'legal' to run it because it HAD a roll bar. A fox mustang with no roll bar running 5.40s in the 1/8 won it and I had to race in 'race car' class with 4 second cars.

I'll get off the subject, but its something NHRA really needs to look at and update some. When you can take a completely stock ZR1 corvette (tires and all) and run 10.90s @ 130mph things have changed a bit..

kevinp

Established Member
I have a couple questions for you.

1) How did you leave on those traction control on passes? Was it a flash or did you foot brake it?

2) What are your and everyone's thoughts on the life expectancy of the transmission and converter at this power level?

Very impressive results.

Thanks...

All the passes I just stalled it up a little, around 1500-1700rpm.

I have no idea on the trans life, that remains to be seen. The car has 2200 miles on it, 300 with the blower. I have been beating it pretty hard on the street logging and checking shift points and the fluid still looks/smells good (checked it yesterday). VMPs car has a lot of passes with quite a bit more power and it seems to be holding up but like everything I'm sure these have a limit. Once a clutch pack stops holding and starts slipping I'm sure it will be over pretty quick. I havent had a 6R80 apart but I have rebuilt most every other popular auto around - I'm sure I can figure it out.

Lots of solenoids in the VB so it wont take a lot of contamination to screw something up. 6R80 has a good reputation in the pickups, only failure I have read about was some manufacturing defects peening the axles in a planetary that caused them to back out.

Since 99% of the time the car is just driven normally I expect a long happy life, back in 2000 I had a '00 Z28 Camaro with a 4l60 (weak trans) and was able to run mid 11s with the car, mods were P1SC/bias ETstreets/3600 converter/LT headers. I did that when the car had 350 miles, had a lot of track time, demodded the car with 13,000 miles on it and drove it fairly stock for another 10K miles without a problem then traded ti in.

But this one could die tomorrow - time will tell..

Last edited:

grnenvy

Established Member
Awesome

Congrates on the times. I picked up my Rouschcharger this week from Justin and the install went pretty smooth. I installed his base tune for my auto car until I can get it back to him so he can get the trans tune perfect. These cars are amazing and with another 200hp on tap there alot of fun.

Users who are viewing this thread