First time claybarring

Zeke0123

Established Member
any tips for a newbie....and should I just avoid the vinyl stripes or hit them with extra lube etc?

Last edited:

oldmodman

Established Member
I have never had a problem claying over vinyl stripes. I just make sure that I go along their length, not across them. It gets the wax residue out of the edge between the stripe and the paint that a previous careless wax job may have left. Just make sure the stripe and nearby paint is kept wet.

Zeke0123

Established Member
I have never had a problem claying over vinyl stripes. I just make sure that I go along their length, not across them. It gets the wax residue out of the edge between the stripe and the paint that a previous careless wax job may have left. Just make sure the stripe and nearby paint is kept wet.
Thanks Oldmodman :).

Zeke0123

Established Member
Holy moly that claybarring is the shit...and thank for telling me to hit up the stripes HUGE difference and a TON of dirt/crap on the stripes and the border..completely livened up my paint and I didnt think it had much of an issue.

2ndGearPull

Going Down So Smooth!
Established Member
Holy moly that claybarring is the shit...and thank for telling me to hit up the stripes HUGE difference and a TON of dirt/crap on the stripes and the border..completely livened up my paint and I didnt think it had much of an issue.

Its amazing what clay bar does....I felt the same when I did my car. :beer:

jrock817

The Sandman
Established Member
yeah i agree, black cars hold so much junk, and you see every last bit of it

SVT CAMR

Established Member

When I read what you said it planted a seed!
Today I clayed my black cobra for the first time ever. I'm happy with the results. The clay bar took the water spot out of my paint. From what I read it is not made to do that. To say the least it looks great from just a clay bar session.
This is what sealed the deal for me. After claying I needed to call it a day and as I went to put the car cover on it was trying to fall off. It has not done that in many years. (even after a full wax job) there is not even compound,polish, or wax on it yet and the cover want to roll off. Thanks for the shot in the arm and getting me going.
I was surprised at the dirt that came off the rear quaters made me want to do it twice!:lol:
I was blown away that the water spots were gone! That was not suppose to happen.:banana: Maybe the spots were in between the many coats of wax that were on there. I want to say the car looks brighter, but what I will say is something looks different about it.

Last edited:

Bolt99SVT

missin' the screams...
Established Member

Yeah claybarring is awesome!!! :rockon::banana:

Alot of people don't even understand what the big deal is until they experience it.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
From what I read it is not made to do that.

actually it is meant to do that. It pulls contaminants off of the surface moreso than anything else out there. Water spots are just dried up calcium deposits, and are easily picked up by the claybar.

If you think claybarring is amazing, just imagine that coupled with a real color correction and polish from a real detailer would accomplish.

jtm

now more boost included
Established Member
that clay is some good stuff, little expensive but worth it. just did the wifes forerunner, my silverado, and now need some fresh clay to do the cobra. Where is a good place to pick somemore up?

jtm

now more boost included
Established Member
I use the Meguiars... get the whole kit pretty much anywhere, $16-$20. Autozone, Advance, Wal Mart etc

i have bought one or two there, but it still seems expensive, those clay bars are tiny. and i have plenty of QD already

TransAxle

Shine Auto Salon
Established Member
One thing you have to remember though is the Claybars inside the Mothers and Meguiars kit are just normal soft ones. Theres actually aggressive lvls of clay bar. Plus if you guys think that $15-20 for is expensive the ones I use which are a medium grade, cleans a good bit better, are $20 a bar. Each bar being about a quarter larger than the ones you get in the packages at autozone's!

03Snake04

! Sonic Boom !
Established Member
my 03 w/ 62k seems to shine fine, but this claybar stuff is all new to me.. however interesting... im wanting to wax it again to make it really pop ... but is this what i should try doing? i dont know anything about it at all:shrug:

03Snake04

! Sonic Boom !
Established Member
im gonna claybar mine soon ... does it remove hard water spots?

Last edited:

fiveohpoepoe

Established Member
Umm, you spray it on the area you are going to use the clay bar on,covering it well, THEN use the clay bar on that area.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfEfLGL59GI&feature=related"]YouTube - How to Clay Bar[/ame]

Users who are viewing this thread