First time running the 5.0 down the 1/8th

H8SUGR

Still a Rookie...
Established Member
Another first time at the track thread for a 5.0 owner. This was my first time ever driving at a drag strip. No burnout since they are my street tires, no launch just rolled into the throttle. Runs at 7:44pm and 7:48pm were with a passenger. 7:48pm run was launched around 1200rpm. I shifted around 6500rpm.

This was at Old Dominion Dragstrip in Manassas, VA weather was around 84 degrees F, Humidity was very high since it was moments away from storming. Elevation of the track is 190ft.

Modifications are in Signature, I was running on the stock 245-45-r19 pirellis (Non-Brembo Package) - Full weight plus a passenger on two runs.

Hopefully I can get some seat time and better wheels/tires to bring down my 60ft a bit. Hoping to get some time in at MIR this Sunday get some 1/4 mile runs in.

Overall for my first time down the track I am happy, let me know what you think could help and what I could improve on.

Picture time, My numbers are highlighted on the slips.

IMG_20110915_102334.jpg

UPDATE! Copied from below #12 Post.

Went to MIR on Sunday, around 64 Degrees F I am not sure about the humidity.

Only changes from previous 1/8th mile runs are that I ran Brembo Package Wheels and Tires in the rear (255 Pirellis) No real cool down between runs other than just waiting in line with the car off. I played around with launches and the best for me was around 1700-1900 rpm. I was able to run a best of 12.374 @ 112.51 and was able to run a 1.84 60ft.

Most runs of the day were between 12.3 -12.6 playing with different launches and pre-stage techniques.

All in all very happy with my performance as this is the 2nd time I have ever driven at a dragstrip and only have suspension mods to help my times. Looks like its onto Big/Little setup.

On the 11:29am run I was up against a Terminator with Pulley, intake, tune, exhaust. On the slip I ran a faster time but I believe the driver was having some issues shifting. Very Nice car to run against!

Now for the Pictures (times are highlighted) I should have actual run pictures up tonight :beer:

IMG_20110919_101318.jpg

Last edited:

thelastsumurai

Established Member
Nice job. Launching at 1200 rpm with that your suspension upgrades doesn't quite get it. You should start experimenting with different launch RPMs. A passenger is a no no, but I don't know the circumstances. All in all it looks like you had fun and that's what counts.

H8SUGR

Still a Rookie...
Established Member
Yeah just having some fun so my brother rode with me to see how it felt compared to his 5.0 down the track. Hopefully I will get more seat time Sunday and be able to experiment with launching differently. I would like to get those 60fts down.

TurboPh1sh

Established Member
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZGUoEoZOm8"]11.97 @ 119.25 2011 Mustang - YouTube[/nomedia]

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ux6gnOGO0Fw][Scrubs"][Scrubs] - The Warrior!!! - YouTube[/nomedia]

DO YOU SEE WHAT YOU GET WHEN YOU MESS WITH THE WARRIOR!

.....jk good runs.

Mustang4vSVT

4x4ing this mofo up!
Established Member
today was my second time in the 1/8th. I found that despite being stock street tires they do benifit
from lower pressure (dropped to 20psi) and a nice burnout. I was rinning 8.9's the last time and today I dropped to 8.5's@85mph. My 60' still sucks at 2.01 but i was improving nicely until I HIT A ***IN BOLT!! big ass bolt in my tire, had to call it a night. I was pulling nicely on every 10'+ Camaro SS and SRT8 Challenger that lined up next to me, so that made me pretty happy :) They had mods too! They had that pissed look of "did i just get beat by a less powerfull bone stock car thats so quiet i cant tell its on?"

All runs were hot lapped btw.

Cuco5.0

Established Member
WOW i need to get myself some suspension mods!! Those are amazing times for an essentially stock motor car. And i thought my 12.6 run was impressive. My 1/8 mile MPH is on par with yours, just have to drop my 60fts a little further.

Also helps it was 64*!! it was 83 when i ran and i felt like i was breathing water with how much humidity there was.

Question, were the upper/lowers hard to adjust when you installed them. I have experience with camber kits and such on past cars so i'm sure i can handle it, just wondering.

H8SUGR

Still a Rookie...
Established Member
WOW i need to get myself some suspension mods!! Those are amazing times for an essentially stock motor car. And i thought my 12.6 run was impressive. My 1/8 mile MPH is on par with yours, just have to drop my 60fts a little further.

Also helps it was 64*!! it was 83 when i ran and i felt like i was breathing water with how much humidity there was.

Question, were the upper/lowers hard to adjust when you installed them. I have experience with camber kits and such on past cars so i'm sure i can handle it, just wondering.

The only thing I really had to adjust was the panhard bar which was time consuming but fairly easy since we had it on a lift and I am using the on car adjustable bar from BMR. Just measured from the center of the wheel to the outer fender lip which was lined up with a straight metal edge we had laying around. It was fairly simple and helps to have a second person there to double check your measurements.

The LCAs and Springs made a huge difference allowing the car to squat and move forward instead of raising the front end and bouncing everywhere. I wish I had some all stock times to compare to but I never had time to get to the track before I got impatient and modified the rear suspension.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread