First time to the track with the Cobra

whipplecharged0

Established Member
I finally got the chance to get to our local 1,000' track but got out there to late and didn't have time to put the slicks on. I made 3 passes with my nitto nto5 street tires on.

First pass: I could not see the tach due to the sun being right in my eyes and hit the rev limiter in 1st and 2nd gear.
60' 2.15
1/8: [email protected]
1,000' 10.56

Second pass:
60' 2.0094
1,000': 10.5023

Third pass:
60': 2.0105
1,000': 10.4414

Major mods on the car are steg IV blower, 2.90upper w/ 6lb lower. Per previous owner the car put down 501/505 on 17psi. I'm pretty happy with the times since I was on street tires.

whipplecharged0

Established Member
Thanks Blk4v. Do you guys think the MPH is a little off for the power I'm pushing. I was thinking it should have trapped low to mid 90s but I could be wrong. Temps were close to 50-55 when I got to the track with about a 15mph wind in the face.

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
^That wind is a killer and if you didn't have time to let the engine cool to get some heat out of the blower then that's a mph killer also. Even if it's that temp outside if I drove my car to the track it wouldn't be ready for at least 45 minutes.

whipplecharged0

Established Member
That could have been it. It was a hour and a half drive to the track. Car sat for maybe 15 minutes before I made my first pass. Track closed at 545 and I got out there right around 430. Didn't have much time to let it cool down

2001Snake

It will be fast one day
Established Member
You must have been spinning pretty good off the line. My 60' in my n/a 01 cobra was exactly like yours with street tires with way less power. It did 8.81 in the 1/8 with a sixty like that tho. Slow pos! Hahah

Nice man Im anxious to see the times with some tires now!!!

Jay

whipplecharged0

Established Member
You must have been spinning pretty good off the line. My 60' in my n/a 01 cobra was exactly like yours with street tires with way less power. It did 8.81 in the 1/8 with a sixty like that tho. Slow pos! Hahah

Nice man Im anxious to see the times with some tires now!!!

Jay

First gear was worthless. It would spin out of the hole then chirp the tires about three times but as soon as I went to second I would get moving

1HUBCAP

110 octane
Established Member
My car and yours are nearly the same HP wise.With big and littles i went a 7.28@98 in the 1/8th, with a 1.64 60,so that is what you have to look foward too!
:beer:

Last edited:

whipplecharged0

Established Member
My goal is to beat the previous owners times with the car. He went 11.55@118 with a 1.58 60'. My car is 100% full weight. Has the heavy saleen wing out back. My truck was full with a bunch of junk including the spare tire and had a child seat in the back. If I had to guess my race weight was close to 4,000lbs when I ran yesterday

Last edited:

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
That could have been it. It was a hour and a half drive to the track. Car sat for maybe 15 minutes before I made my first pass. Track closed at 545 and I got out there right around 430. Didn't have much time to let it cool down

In the 1/4 I would almost bet my house on those runs above you would've cost yourself 4 tenths or more:eek: with that much heat. Cool that sucker down or even slap a 4lb lower on it to help keep a little heat out of it during a run. That's the same pulley combo I run and it builds heat fast!

You have to run these cars cool to get close to the times they can run.

whipplecharged0

Established Member
In the 1/4 I would almost bet my house on those runs above you would've cost yourself 4 tenths or more:eek: with that much heat. Cool that sucker down or even slap a 4lb lower on it to help keep a little heat out of it during a run. That's the same pulley combo I run and it builds heat fast!

You have to run these cars cool to get close to the times they can run.

Is that the main reason I see most people running the 2.76upper 4lb lower. Seems to put out the same numbers as my setup.

2 cam sam

Established Member
Its hard to guage a car on street tires. If you can get real tires on her your car would be a rocket.

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
Is that the main reason I see most people running the 2.76upper 4lb lower. Seems to put out the same numbers as my setup.

Your setup might make a few more hp and a little more torque. So it pays off at the track "if" you keep everything cool.

Also once you're in the lanes don't let the car sit and idle. Wait for the cars to move up 3 or 4 spots before you start your car to move. Then get enough momentum and shut it off to coast where you need to stop.

What rpm's are you shifting at?

lowflyn

Found my 03sbvert...
Established Member
Not bad, I have similar mods and leaving soft (1.7 '60) I've been around 7.63 at 100. Hopefully I'll get some guts this year and leave hard.

Users who are viewing this thread