Flickering lights

esonu

Established Member
I was hoping I could get some opinions on what could be causing the issue. All the lights in my car flicker slightly and but all i mean interior and exterior expect for the HID headlights. This did not happen until I replaced my alternator with a KMJ unit and did the big 3 upgrade. When I first swapped the alternator there was an excessive amount of light flickering and I contacted KMJ and was sent out a new one. Since then it’s been flickering at a low pace and when the AC turns on the lights stop flickering. Any recommendations on what I should even look into?

01yellercobra

Established Member
Is it flickering or more of a pulsing? Does it go away when the engine is revved up? What's the voltage at idle?

03cobra#2

Hobbyist Of Many Hobbies
Established Member
I do have the same problem with one of his alternators. I don't drive it at night a whole lot so I have to see if it goes away when rpm go up. Seems to be most noticeable at idle. I do have a larger alternator pulley to go alomd with a 2lb lower. Voltage on the logs at idle, driving ect look good, but yes, I have the same issue.

01yellercobra

Established Member
My first alternator from him had the pulsing. And under any load it dropped to 11vdc at idle. I sent it back and he fixed it. I did have to swap to a stock size pulley as under 1000rpm voltage would drop to 12vdc. My dash still has some flicker at night at idle. But at least since going to LED's my headlights don't dim with the bass.

I have a spare on the shelf for when this one dies.

esonu

Established Member
I’ll try to get a video and upload it this weekend. I guess I would consider it to be a pulsing issue. As far as the change at rpm’s it feels like the pulsing effect gets faster. I did just purchase new battery posts which I plan to install soon in the hopes it’ll fix it as I assumed it may be a ground issue.

Murderedsvt

Established Member
Mine does this also, I can tell on the dash at night flickers I have a kmj alt. Idle runs around 14

TerminatorCobraJP

Established Member
My car does this at idle. My gauge cluster and tail lights flicker a lot, the head lights only do a little and above 6K RPM all lights start to dim. I run a stock replacement alternator and my SCT 4X says I get high 13s, low 14s volts at idle and under load. I don't know why it does this if I'm consistently getting 14 volts but the car still seems to run fine.

Sent from my SM-S536DL using the svtperformance.com mobile app

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I’ll try to get a video and upload it this weekend. I guess I would consider it to be a pulsing issue. As far as the change at rpm’s it feels like the pulsing effect gets faster. I did just purchase new battery posts which I plan to install soon in the hopes it’ll fix it as I assumed it may be a ground issue.
You mean you purchased new battery terminals, right?

A bad alternator or loose ground cable/wire are the most obvious reasons for the interior lights flickering. Hopefully replacing the battery terminals (do it sooner than later) will resolve your issue. If not, you're likely going to have to either contact KMJ again or start searching for a loose ground.

You said in your OP that "this did not happen until I replaced my alternator with a KMJ unit and did the big 3 upgrade". This would be my focus on why the interior lights are flickering/pulsing. It is very possible that the second replacement KMJ alternator is bad as well. The alternator would be my first guess. A loose ground, my second guess. Double check ALL of the connections from your Big 3 wire conversion. Be sure the ground wire to the motor mount is solid.

Users who are viewing this thread