Flying out to San Francisco

XyX

Still in the game.
Established Member
Going out to see my brother for a week and wanted to get some ideas for things to do. We are going to do alcatrez, universal studios, and check out Hollywood, but other then that I'm clueless. I wanted to check out some car type things but really don't know what is worth checking out. So if you guess can suggest thing I'd appreciate it.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
lol universal studios and hollywood arent exactly close to SF.....

Arlen Ness is in Pleasanton/Dublin right over the bay. Theres also a nice car dealership/showroom around the corner that has lots of badass cars there.

astrocreep96

Inevitable
Established Member
Premium Member
Eat lots of seafood (I go to Scomas every time I'm out there, but last year they had stopped their salmon run and the food wasn't quite as good as I remember - may have been a one-time anomaly though), charter a Salmon fishing trip into the bay, go up and down fisherman's wharf and pier 39, visit world class museums (last year I saw a King Tut exhibit - pretty damned cool to see 3500+ year old artifacts), go to china town and have a dim sum lunch, find a play in a small little theater you can't find anywhere else, walk all over the place...

There are endless things to do in San Fran.

upside

AWD V8
Established Member
see if there is anything going on at laguna seca that week and shoot down to carmel, last time i was there they had a 2day ferrari event.

XyX

Still in the game.
Established Member
lol universal studios and hollywood arent exactly close to SF.....

Arlen Ness is in Pleasanton/Dublin right over the bay. Theres also a nice car dealership/showroom around the corner that has lots of badass cars there.

yea my brother said it's about 4 hrs away but he said he wanted to go so I said why not. My brother actually lives in Dublin I believe.

Eat lots of seafood (I go to Scomas every time I'm out there, but last year they had stopped their salmon run and the food wasn't quite as good as I remember - may have been a one-time anomaly though), charter a Salmon fishing trip into the bay, go up and down fisherman's wharf and pier 39, visit world class museums (last year I saw a King Tut exhibit - pretty damned cool to see 3500+ year old artifacts), go to china town and have a dim sum lunch, find a play in a small little theater you can't find anywhere else, walk all over the place...

I wouldn't mind checking out a museums, I'll see what they have. Now my big question is...do they have crawfish out there?

divided

Established Member
I actually just got back from Frisco last week for a business trip. Id see:

1. Lombard street
2. Fisher mans Warf
3. Golden Gate Bridge
4. Sutro Bath Houses
6. Postcard Row
7. Hate/Ashbury
8. Union Square/Malls
9. Stay away from the Tenderloin district
10. China Town

Wear good walking shoes.

A few pics I took there:

Postcard Row

Last edited:

XyX

Still in the game.
Established Member
I def. want to go to postcard row, I grew up watching Full House! haha

ripnesscobra

Established Member
+1 on Divided's list.

The actual Full House house shown right before the opening scene of each show is 1709 Broderick Street. Not the most exciting part of San Francisco but I went!

blackonblackGT

Established Member
San Francisco is an awesome city. Fishermans wharf, ghiradeli square, china town, Alcatraz. What the hell are you talking about regarding universal and Hollywood?? You're about 6 hours north of that lol.

Mr. Mach-ete

Liberals Suck
Established Member
My folks went to San Fran years ago, they brought back this awesome carmel/toffee coated popcorn that had almonds and walnuts mixed in it. Some specialty shop in down town was selling the stuff, delicious!

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
yea my brother said it's about 4 hrs away but he said he wanted to go so I said why not. My brother actually lives in Dublin I believe.

I wouldn't mind checking out a museums, I'll see what they have. Now my big question is...do they have crawfish out there?

lol umm, hollywood/LA is a good 6-7hr drive from SF. Youll have to come out to the valley then hit up 5 or 99 south, which alone will take you 1-1.5hr to reach. From podunk Modesto it takes me 4hrs just to get to the grapevine. I can usually get to Six Flags:Magic Mountain in 5hrs, but LA/Hollywood is a good hour past that. If you try to take Hwy1 all the way........good luck with that, thats a day trip in itself.

if you like science stuff, hit up the Exploratorium. Bunch of cool science exhibits that are all hands-on, youll feel like a little kid again.

I like to go to Muir Woods and Muir Beach (over the Golden Gate and in Marin county) a few times a year.

driving around in SF is a royal pain in the ass.

chimpin

Established Member
look on yelp.com. it has reviews for food entertainment and nightlife. my personal favorites in SF are the deyoung museum, golden gate park and a caribean restaurant in the haight district named cha cha cha's.

KurtDog

Established Member

+ 1 on Scomas. It's awsome!

There's a pretty cool car museum in danville. It's mostley older cars if your into that kind of thing.

Wishing4Cobra

Established Member
lol umm, hollywood/LA is a good 6-7hr drive from SF. Youll have to come out to the valley then hit up 5 or 99 south, which alone will take you 1-1.5hr to reach. From podunk Modesto it takes me 4hrs just to get to the grapevine. I can usually get to Six Flags:Magic Mountain in 5hrs, but LA/Hollywood is a good hour past that. If you try to take Hwy1 all the way........good luck with that, thats a day trip in itself.

if you like science stuff, hit up the Exploratorium. Bunch of cool science exhibits that are all hands-on, youll feel like a little kid again.

I like to go to Muir Woods and Muir Beach (over the Golden Gate and in Marin county) a few times a year.

driving around in SF is a royal pain in the ass.

+1. SF and Hollywood/Universal is at least 7 hours away driving without traffic.

I went to SF last year and it was pretty fun, just went sight seeing and stuff, nothing too crazy.

Fox-4

OFFICER BARBRADY
Established Member
Add couple more to that List:

Ghirardelli square
The Cable Car Museum
Black Hawk Museum
Western Railway Museum
Six Flags Discovery Kingdom

Users who are viewing this thread