Flywheel issues

#1stangfreak

'02GT for me!
Established Member
Long story short, I bought a new clutch and flywheel and put it on myself. Now I'm thinking I didnt put the flywheel on right because I'm getting vibration from 1k to 2k rmps. Does the flywheel need to be balance to the crankshaft or something? What's the difference between internal and external balancing? I wasn't thinking to straight and just kinda bolted it up without noticing what seemes to me to be a weight to the left on the back side. Is this something I can fix with hand tools or do I have to take it to a shop? So far I can't find a darned shop in town that can tear it apart and fix this pos :fm:

Heath

amorrow

Established Member
Yes, external balancing requires a flywheel with a specific weight attached. I know early model Ford v8s use 28oz flywheels, and some later models use 50oz versions. Some flywheels are one or the other, and others have no weights out-of-the-box. Simply research what weight [if any] came on your flywheel, and what your specific engine should have...may as well investigate before taking it to a shop or tearing anything apart.

meaty mac

IDK what I want now
Established Member
Yes, external balancing requires a flywheel with a specific weight attached. I know early model Ford v8s use 28oz flywheels, and some later models use 50oz versions. Some flywheels are one or the other, and others have no weights out-of-the-box. Simply research what weight [if any] came on your flywheel, and what your specific engine should have...may as well investigate before taking it to a shop or tearing anything apart.

Aren't you thinking of a Harmonic Balancer? :lol:

amorrow

Established Member
No. While I understand balancers are often weighted as well, I just got a new flywheel for my '65 and it was also made with an imbalance...I believe it was 28oz. Are you saying newer models don't require an imbalanced flywheel?

Last edited:

amorrow

Established Member
If your crank is internally balanced, and your new flywheel has a weight attached, that would definitely explain the vibration you're experiencing. I was unsure how Ford balanced late-model V6s, so if that individual's comment is correct, there's your answer.

Most aftermarket weights are simply bolt-on and can be easily removed; here is a pic of the 28oz weight on my 164-tooth flywheel I had on my '65...

th_P1010870.jpg

SWAMPMODULAR

FAIRWARNING
Established Member
Mine had a vibration at about the same rpm, and the day before I took it in a bolt out of the flywheel almost went right through my firewall. After taking it all apart we figured out the a ford dealer here who worked on the car before I got it didnt tourqe down the bolts enough. The rest of them came off very easy too.....Needless to say Ford spent 2350.oo in parts and labor to fix it!!!! GOOD LUCK!!

#1stangfreak

'02GT for me!
Established Member
Mine had a vibration at about the same rpm, and the day before I took it in a bolt out of the flywheel almost went right through my firewall. After taking it all apart we figured out the a ford dealer here who worked on the car before I got it didnt tourqe down the bolts enough. The rest of them came off very easy too.....Needless to say Ford spent 2350.oo in parts and labor to fix it!!!! GOOD LUCK!!

Dang that's crazy! Yeah I torqued all the bolts to spec with loctite :rockon:....just didn't take that darned weight off:fm:

#1stangfreak

'02GT for me!
Established Member
If your crank is internally balanced, and your new flywheel has a weight attached, that would definitely explain the vibration you're experiencing. I was unsure how Ford balanced late-model V6s, so if that individual's comment is correct, there's your answer.

Most aftermarket weights are simply bolt-on and can be easily removed; here is a pic of the 28oz weight on my 164-tooth flywheel I had on my '65...

thats almost exactly what mine looked like! Here's a crappy cell phone pic...

thinkin I'm just gonna take it all back apart and cross my fingers now lol

Users who are viewing this thread