Flywheel verus rear wheel horse power

va boy

Established Member
Whenever a "non-Mustang" guy asks how much horsepower you have, do you tell them flywheel or rear wheel numbers? I also have a 69 Camaro and as a group, us 60's muscle car guys never mentioned rear wheel horsepower, only flywheel. At many of the car meets we have around here, it's a blend of cars.
Just curious, most of you guys probably aren't ADD like me and wouldn't even care, just wondering, because there is a sizeable difference in some cases.

oldmodman

Established Member
Tell them both.

As an example a stock 2003 Cobra engine, mounted on an engine dyno put out 487 hp. Then when mounted back in the car, but with the water pump and alternator mounted on the engine got 399 at the wheels. or roughly 18 percent less hp.

I think it was MM&FF or 5.0 that did the test. It was back in 2005 (I think).

fbody83

Z06 to Raped Ape
Established Member
If they're a car person I tell them rwhp, otherwise flywheel hp.

GodStang

Established Member
Who here actually knows what their Flywheel Horsepower is? Without putting it on an engine dyno you are only guessing because it is not an exact math. Also what about the 100-150rwhp your engine looses because of your blower???

So I tell them rwhp if they are even worth talking to.

CHIZ

GeoMetros worse nightmare
Established Member
Joke between me and my buddies when people ask how much hp, spray, or boost... Answer is always the same, "all of it."

cobracide

Established Member
As GodStang stated, with a forced induction motor - flywheel horsepower is less meaningful. Parasitic losses to the supercharger are a significant factor not included in the flywheel measurement. The M112 is rumored in the 100-150hp range when spun up. Can't find any hard numbers on that.

Makes flywheel kind of a pointless reference on these cars.

Last edited:

va boy

Established Member
As GodStang stated, with a forced induction motor - flywheel horsepower is less meaningful. Parasitic losses to the supercharger are a significant factor not included in the flywheel measurement. The M112 is rumored in the 100-150hp range when spun up. Can't find any hard numbers on that.

Makes flywheel kind of a pointless reference on these cars.

I did not know that, thanks, I actually learned something!

Why Try

Established Member
Please elaborate..

Stieg rotors having less rotating mass, less parasitic loss and easier to turn = free up some of the heatons load on the engine. But is it worth all that money if your not trying to have the worlds quickest eaton car? For me no, for you maybe. Not to sound like a dick but I would bet $ the rotor mod would give you the same power gain as removing your air filter and replacing it with a screen BUT when trying to have the fastest eaton out there every little bit helps and it is going to cost more to get that speed then other more cost effective ways. Stiegemeier is a great company with great ideas like the LC kit which I would buy if I didn't have a KB so don't think I'm bashing in any way.

cobracide

Established Member
Sounds like zero documented gains. As far as the front drive cooling thing, it was developed for the over geared, faster spinning snakebite (tm). For anything else, it's a gimmick. I never heard of a non-snakebite (tm) front drive overheating. Ever.

j-tan

Established Member
I tell people rwhp because that is the only number that counts. Flywheel hp is just a guess that people make because they never actually dynoed their car.

Users who are viewing this thread