focus 4.6 cobra swap engine wont start

mitchi

hi ive been doing a focus v8 swap for the last year its just about finished except i cant get it to start its a 1999 4.6 svt cobra v8 its never been ran ive got the engine the computer everything is brand new the pump primes it cranks but the injectors dont pulse itll run for 2 seconds if you pour fuel into the manifold all injectors have a 12v feed but they wont pulse checked all fuses the theft light goes out checked all the grounds there fine the crank and cam sensors are fine so is the tps sensor it has fuel pressure to the rail its driving me mad anything easily overlooked when wiring these engines up thanks

Badasssapper67

Established Member
Was anything done to the engine before you put it in? Did you take the timing cover off, was the trigger wheel cracked?
If you cycle the pump with the key and depress the shrader valve on the fuel rail does it spray out any air?
Are you able to put a code scanner on it, how much of the wiring harness did you get with the engine?

Michaelslilgray

I need more gas...
Established Member
Agreed... pats will disable the injectors from pulsing... if you did not replace the interior harness (and i dont know how you would change the gauge cluster) you are falling victim of pats disabling your fuel system.

starnsey

Established Member
Don't know an answer to your problem, but seems like these guys are onto it.

But, we really need to see some pictures of this beast...

mitchi

rs8

thanks for replying im using the whole cobra harness gauges keys the lot and my theft light goes out could pats still be causing my problem the ccrm buzzes for a second when the ignition is turned on is that normal i had to have 2 keys coded to the computer aswell aparently only one key was coded and 2 are needed and the engine is brand new never been ran so it should be fine

mitchi

rs8

thought id list some of the specs it has tarox 10 pot brake calipers up front willwood 4 at the rear the wheels were custom made by braid in italy the rear are 18" 335 with pirelli pzero tyres the front are 225 18" it has a obp rally pedal box with hydrolic clutch upgrade and twin racing brake master cylinders with adjustable bias an official fiber glass 03 wrc kit polycarbon light weight windows all around, 21 gallon alloy fuel cell replaces back seats carbon fibre bonnet just to name a few of the mods.

mitchi

Was anything done to the engine before you put it in? Did you take the timing cover off, was the trigger wheel cracked?
If you cycle the pump with the key and depress the shrader valve on the fuel rail does it spray out any air?
Are you able to put a code scanner on it, how much of the wiring harness did you get with the engine?

i got all the harness and no air comes out fuel rail but the pressure dosent seem that great what pressure should it be at could low pressure stop the injectors opening?

mitchi

Agreed... pats will disable the injectors from pulsing... if you did not replace the interior harness (and i dont know how you would change the gauge cluster) you are falling victim of pats disabling your fuel system.

would the pats cut the injectors only? i would think it wouldnt crank if the theft system had triggered

Last edited:

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
pats will keep it from providing any fuel. I tried to start my car with unprogrammed key to see what would happen, it will turn over all day long but will not fire (however I do not remember if the pump would prime or not...the more I think about it the more I think the pump isnt even supposed to turn on)

even though you have all that stuff I would have your tuner turn off PATs in your tune just to narrow that down as that should be quick and easy

mitchi

pats will keep it from providing any fuel. I tried to start my car with unprogrammed key to see what would happen, it will turn over all day long but will not fire (however I do not remember if the pump would prime or not...the more I think about it the more I think the pump isnt even supposed to turn on)

even though you have all that stuff I would have your tuner turn off PATs in your tune just to narrow that down as that should be quick and easy

thanks for reply ill look into having the pats disabled thing is tho i live in the uk and not many tuners have worked on these american engines can any tuner with a computer remove the pats and when you used the uncoded key was your theft light flashing cause mine isnt its really driving me mad now this is the only thing stopping me from driving it everything else is finished

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
if I remember PATs being active usually causes a quickly blinking theft light

reading this over again Im gonna back peddle though, a quick google search and I see a few posts already that PATs will prevent the fuel pump from priming so if youre absolutely sure the pump kicks when you turn the key forward then its doesnt sound like a PATs thing

mitchi

if I remember PATs being active usually causes a quickly blinking theft light

reading this over again Im gonna back peddle though, a quick google search and I see a few posts already that PATs will prevent the fuel pump from priming so if youre absolutely sure the pump kicks when you turn the key forward then its doesnt sound like a PATs thing

thats what i thought before i got 2 keys coded the theft light was blinking fast now it goes straight out yes pump definetly works and i have pressure to the fuel rail

mitchi

the engines new but has been lying round in someones shed for 13 years is there anything on the cobras that seizes up the ccrm constant control relay module buzzes for a few seconds when i first turn ignition on is that normal?

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
pretty sure it shouldnt be buzzing...a quick google search shows a bad ground or one of the relays on the ccrm being bad can cause the

edit: all the mustang related threads I can find just about all of them were caused by bad grounds

Last edited:

Slow mustang :(
Established Member
Congrats on your swap. I installed a similar crate motor as well (was a V6 prior). Yours will move like a raped ape.

Here is some help for you:

Mustangworld HEC Instrument Cluster Diagnostics

HEC Diagnostic Mode

Perform the DTC codes procedure and see if you get a P1260 code, 9600, 9601 or some of the trouble codes listed in those links.

For more codes, here is a link for you: DTCsearch.com - Search Engine for OBD-II Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs)

If it's a P1260, then PATS has deactivated your vehicle from starting up is assumes that the vehicle is stolen.

Users who are viewing this thread