Footwell lighting mod...

Shaunmac9128

Established Member
I don't turn my interior map lights on really. If you turn the headlight knob all the way to the left to they come on whenever the lights come on? That way these will do the same? I might be doing this soon, thanks man.

Slow mustang :(
Established Member
I don't turn my interior map lights on really. If you turn the headlight knob all the way to the left to they come on whenever the lights come on? That way these will do the same? I might be doing this soon, thanks man.

Yes they come on when the doors open, and they turn off when the doors close.

Yes they also come on when you twist the headlight knob.

Also, when you unlock your car and the interior lights come on, they also turn on.

All this is because they are spliced directly into the interior lighting but not to worry about drawing too much voltage since the LEDs only use a fraction of voltage.

Shaunmac9128

Established Member
Sadly, I can't open that on my mac. Any different videos or just a quick answer by any chance?

Stalker27

Established Member
Yes they come on when the doors open, and they turn off when the doors close.

Yes they also come on when you twist the headlight knob.

Also, when you unlock your car and the interior lights come on, they also turn on.

All this is because they are spliced directly into the interior lighting but not to worry about drawing too much voltage since the LEDs only use a fraction of voltage.

Ahhh boooo, See there might be times when I want them to stay on

GREEKSTANG4.6

Established Member
Man that looks GREAT!!! Just wish you would have done a writeup with pics

I know. I wish I did too but had my niece and nephew bothering me every 5 minutes. Honestly, just follow 006's write up.

1. Pull the A pillar off - watch your face. I almost broke my nose lol.

2. Cut and peel the tape off a section of the wiring where you will splice into.

3. Splice the two aforementioned wires.

4. Cut off the "test" button on your new lights. Cut and expose the wires.

5. I bought about 15 feet of 18 gauge wire (smallest I could find). If you're doing just the fronts, you'll need a lot less. After measuring the amount you'll need, you a thin piece of anything hard like a straightened coat hanger and slide it through the dash (top to bottom). After you pull the A pillar, you'll know where to slide it down.

6. Once through (should only take a minute or two), tape up the extended wires to the bottom of your "snake tool" and pull it back up through the dash. Once snaked through, you can untape them.

7. The rest is really connecting all the wires and placement of the lights. Once down there, you'll figure out how to hide the wires ( I could of done better, but it was like midnight on a work night). If you are doing the rears, hide the wires under the door sill plastic, behind the pcm panel and straight through the dash.

whiplash306

Established Member
I know. I wish I did too but had my niece and nephew bothering me every 5 minutes. Honestly, just follow 006's write up.

1. Pull the A pillar off - watch your face. I almost broke my nose lol.

2. Cut and peel the tape off a section of the wiring where you will splice into.

3. Splice the two aforementioned wires.

4. Cut off the "test" button on your new lights. Cut and expose the wires.

5. I bought about 15 feet of 18 gauge wire (smallest I could find). If you're doing just the fronts, you'll need a lot less. After measuring the amount you'll need, you a thin piece of anything hard like a straightened coat hanger and slide it through the dash (top to bottom). After you pull the A pillar, you'll know where to slide it down.

6. Once through (should only take a minute or two), tape up the extended wires to the bottom of your "snake tool" and pull it back up through the dash. Once snaked through, you can untape them.

7. The rest is really connecting all the wires and placement of the lights. Once down there, you'll figure out how to hide the wires ( I could of done better, but it was like midnight on a work night). If you are doing the rears, hide the wires under the door sill plastic, behind the pcm panel and straight through the dash.
Great write up....! Thank you! Just one more question though. Did you use any specific device (crimp, etc?) to splice the sets of wires together, or did you just wrap the foot well lighting's bare wire around the A pillar's newly exposed bare wire?

03yllwguy

Daily driven since 2003
Established Member
Great write up....! Thank you! Just one more question though. Did you use any specific device (crimp, etc?) to splice the sets of wires together, or did you just wrap the foot well lighting's bare wire around the A pillar's newly exposed bare wire?
You do NOT want to molest your factory wiring. You simply use an "add a circuit" or a T clamp that parallels the factory wire with your new wire. You crimp down on the connecter when the wires are seated which tamps a metal splice to both wires. They are about $5 for 20. Do NOT cut into your factory wiring.

scorched

Established Member
yea. t clamps. pass on those. go get your self a nice pair of side strips, i picked mine up at radio shack for like 15 bucks. dont set the tension too high, and it will peel the sheathing off the wire leaving the wire itself intact...

t clamps. lol

Shaunmac9128

Established Member
Did mine today, very easy and looks great at night. However I popped the A pillar off and there were no wires there to splice into. So i spliced into a fog light wire in the dash. Fog lights still work as do both the led's. Very happy.

bwahl602

Established Member
im debating on whether or not im gonna make the red under dash wires a "while driving" light or just use them with the door ajar lights

03Snake04

! Sonic Boom !
Established Member
If you look at my photos in the beginning of the thread, it shows the passenger side A pillar.

:bash:

x2 ... i was confused when reading the posts above stating there were no wires:shrug:

seems like they would have known something was wrong and wouldnt have immediately gone splicing into other wires making it more difficult

passenger side has wires, driver side does not:idea:

Shaunmac9128

Established Member
It was actually easier to splice them where I do so it worked out well for me and they look great.

Slow mustang :(
Established Member
It was actually easier to splice them where I do so it worked out well for me and they look great.

:nonono:

This defeats the purpose of their function. The only way to make them work as it's been said over and over again is to splice into the interior lighting so that they come on when you turn on the interior lights or if you open the doors. They shut off in unison when the door is shut or if the interior lights are turned off.

The way you did it, they come on when you turn on the Fogs?

:lol:

Honestly, reading does *own* some people :bored:

Shaunmac9128

Established Member
Yes I have them come on with my fogs. Lol why is this a big deal and I "owned" myself? I like it this way, them come on when I turn my headlights on because I run my fogs 99% of the time with my headlights. I have control of turning them on and off at the push of a button now too.

moot09

Established Member
Just finished up...all working. The lights are not as bright as in the pics but crappy cell phone pics none the less. These were with the dome light shut off.

fwm2.jpg

FWM1.jpg

That is def something I would think to see on a riced out civic. Not a Cobra.

Users who are viewing this thread