For Sale: Roush/Alcon Big Brake Kit

sn95Cobrakai

Established Member
For sale I have a brand new never installed Roush/Alcon Big Brake kit. The Brakes will fit 94-04 Mustangs and Cobras, also should fit any fox body with a five lug conversion. I got these brakes acouple of years back with the intention of installing them on my '95 cobra which is now gone. This brake kit is worth $3000+and originally sold at stage3 motorsports for $3500. Keep in mind these brake require 18" rims due to the 14" front rotors.
The kit comes with
(2) Goodridge Stainless Steel Front Brake Lines
(2) Alcon 4-piston calipers (Dark grey with Red lettering)
(2)14 inch front one piece slotted rotors. Installation requires 18" ROUSH wheels (or equivalent) (depends on your backspacing)
(2)13 Inch rear slotted rotors
Rear Kit spaces out stock caliper to fit larger 13" rotor
Includes Front High performance Brake Pads
Brackets and Harware
I believe the rotors are zinc coated.
I bought them back when they went on sale and just want what I paid for them, No more, No less. I am asking $1500 firm. I live in Waukesha, WI and local pick up would be preferred but I'm not against shipping.

Bruha

Thats what I thought
Established Member
Pretty good deal for front and rear kit!! GLWS, I wouldn't think these would last long.

john_anch_ak

rear brakes

FYI, I also purchased one of these kits when they were on sale for $1500.00 and they are certainly great brakes. One thing though, the rear brake part of the upgrade will not work on Cobra's with the IRS, even though the salesman told me that they would work on the Cobra/IRS. I tried to install them but they would lock up the rear end. Then after doing a bunch of research I found out that the rear brake upgrade kit was really made to fit the Mustang GT's with the straight axle. The front brake upgrade part of the kit works fine, it's just the rear brake upgrade that will not work on the Cobra IRS.

Blk98Slobra

Established Member
FYI, I also purchased one of these kits when they were on sale for $1500.00 and they are certainly great brakes. One thing though, the rear brake part of the upgrade will not work on Cobra's with the IRS, even though the salesman told me that they would work on the Cobra/IRS. I tried to install them but they would lock up the rear end. Then after doing a bunch of research I found out that the rear brake upgrade kit was really made to fit the Mustang GT's with the straight axle. The front brake upgrade part of the kit works fine, it's just the rear brake upgrade that will not work on the Cobra IRS.

So would it work with a 94-98 Cobra with a solid axle then? I've been thinking about doing this upgrade on the rear of my Cobra to match the fronts.

john_anch_ak

So would it work with a 94-98 Cobra with a solid axle then? I've been thinking about doing this upgrade on the rear of my Cobra to match the fronts.

First of all, I am not a professional mechanic and there are those who might say I should be beaten for ever picking up a wrench. But that's how I learn stuff, spend money, attempt to install, find out it doesn't work with my car and then am only able to use 1/2 of the "great deal" and I also have a box of Alcon/Roush rear brake upgrade parts that I can't use. I tend to remember things that cost me a lot of money more than I remember things that didn't cost me anything.

Check out this site as it has instructions for installing the front brake kit, it says it will work on '94-'04 but who knows for sure? Beats the hell out of me why he doesn't even mention the rear brake kit and I don't remember exactly where I read about the rear brake kit being used only on straight axles, maybe I ended up talking with someone about it, it's been several years since I installed my "Alcon/Roush Big Brake Kit". They are damn nice brakes and certainly worth more than what this gentlemen is asking.
TheMustangNews.com - Install: Roush-Alcon Brakes for 1994-2004 Mustangs

sn95Cobrakai

Established Member
I am more interested in the cams. But at this point my motor is all stock and I dont think they'll end up in the car for awhile. It just doesnt have the supporting mods I'd be comfortible with to throw cams in at the moment. So cash is still preferred so I can allocate it toward bolt ons or toward a winter vehicle.

LilRoush

M112'd Roush x2
Established Member
For those interested, these can be modified to work with the IRS. It has been done. I looked into it for a few buyers. If anyone is interested, PM me and I'll get you contact info for the guy who did it on the IRS with a slight modification to the rear caliper bracket. I just sold a brand new Roush/Alcon set up here in Miami.

For those worried about replacing the out of production rotors, Stage 3 Motorsports sells a 2 pc replacement from Baer, and the S197 GT500 14" rotors can be made to work if you grind a bit on the front caliper brackets.

Also, there are several people who have used this set up under 17" 1995 Cobra R wheels. Not all of the knock offs work due to a lip cast on the inner edge of the wheel - but some do fit.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread