For those Non nav cars that want to install an aftermarket system, check this out.

ViciousJay

Established Member
how does the stock navi fit in there then? it looks like they could fabricate a new thing but im sure it would get expensive. i was looking at it today and my shifter in 1st, 3rd and 5th pretty much would sit in the middle of the screen. and i cruse in 5th around the city. only cool thing would be you could push ur buttons while keeping your hand on the shifter! haha. idk i guess having a screen on the bottom is better than having no screen at all... but it definatly does not look factory on the bottom like that

hey if you like it cool, im not wasting my time on this

ViciousJay

Established Member
sorry for the bump but has anyone figured out a way to mount a double din higher yet because im dying to get one

Last edited:

cbaty08

Established Member
how does the stock navi fit in there then? it looks like they could fabricate a new thing but im sure it would get expensive. i was looking at it today and my shifter in 1st, 3rd and 5th pretty much would sit in the middle of the screen. and i cruse in 5th around the city. only cool thing would be you could push ur buttons while keeping your hand on the shifter! haha. idk i guess having a screen on the bottom is better than having no screen at all... but it definatly does not look factory on the bottom like that

It fits because it is simply a screen that sits there that is connected to a computer.. it isn't a huge double-din component like you would imagine.

The screen is 1" think roughly..

DEADLY FORCE

Established Member
I have it in my car, the double din is a little low on the metra system but i deal with it. The ac controls do look a little dated but not too bad, could be better they glow blue at night and can be dimmed or brightened to your preference, I like the screen because you can change the color on it to what ever color you can think of by mixing the color. I'll post a pic soon. I've had it in the car since Dec. I have a base 6m gt and I put in oem leather too, I'm going to upgrade the steering wheel next I'm interested in seeing if i can hook up the hand controls too, i do believe its possible, i just haven''t confirmed it yet I would be more confident if my car was a premium and had it already, because they do sell a programmer to fix that througn metra. I had an audio store install it, so i can't say how easy it was to install. but i now have nav, dvd, cd, gps, bluetooth hands free calling device, ipod, and has the option for rearview camera and xm radio if i wanted. one thing i thought was cool is that the bluetooth will even take the music off your iphone and play it. Plus I can now hook up a an amp and some subs now if i wanted, but i don't. Oh yeah, and the watch a movie while driving option which of course i do not do.

DTRAIN_WV

Established Member
scosche kit is the one I want. I want single DIN with an extra cubby space for storage though.

Have scosche STILL not released a date for it to hit market?

Last I heard was November.

You're still going to have to deal with the low headunit placment with either kit.

More $$$ for the LCD climate control. Less $$$ for the less fancy style.

IMO, the low head unit isn't going to be a problem for me. The model I want comes with bluetooth, and I'll be able to stream my Pandora/Spotify.

If not, my satellite station is usually around the sports channels.

Change your station at a stop light/sign if you're so nervous about being distracted.

SicShelby09

Banned
Why down you guys just buy the electronics package bezel from ford and modify it or maybe it will work out of the box?

DEADLY FORCE

Established Member
Why down you guys just buy the electronics package bezel from ford and modify it or maybe it will work out of the box?

Origionally I did call the ford dealer and they told me it would be a lot cheaper to go aftermarket and you would have higher quality. I guess if you have the money go for it. MY wife wanted to have NAV & sync installed and they said they don't sell sync as an add on after 2008 due to some agreement with microsoft. For the record, the shifter does not get in the way of your view whatsoever, not even close no matter what gear. You can glance down without moving your head while driving, pretty much no different then glancing at your tach for a split second. I use the remote when I don't feel like using the touch screen for channel surfing. I say find a car that has it in it, and see if it works for you. looking at a picture online and seeing it for yourself at your own seating position is completely different. I can understand how visually you see its lower than stock, so you must not be able to see it type of perspective, however, this simply isn't the case.

ViciousJay

Established Member
Origionally I did call the ford dealer and they told me it would be a lot cheaper to go aftermarket and you would have higher quality. I guess if you have the money go for it. MY wife wanted to have NAV & sync installed and they said they don't sell sync as an add on after 2008 due to some agreement with microsoft. For the record, the shifter does not get in the way of your view whatsoever, not even close no matter what gear. You can glance down without moving your head while driving, pretty much no different then glancing at your tach for a split second. I use the remote when I don't feel like using the touch screen for channel surfing. I say find a car that has it in it, and see if it works for you. looking at a picture online and seeing it for yourself at your own seating position is completely different. I can understand how visually you see its lower than stock, so you must not be able to see it type of perspective, however, this simply isn't the case.

can you snap a few shots of yours

DEADLY FORCE

Established Member
GOPR0113.jpg
GOPR0103-1.jpg
GOPR0103.jpg
GOPR0094.jpg
http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd375/surfersean1982/GOPR0134.jpg
Old pics from January i believe. I now have the ac screen in a cool red color.

DTRAIN_WV

Established Member
I just picked up my kit and new reciever from Amazon today.

The Metra kits are the cheapest on the internet there.

I think there's 5 more kits left.

Happy hunting.

Last edited:

DEADLY FORCE

Established Member
GOPR0142.jpg

GOPR0134.jpg
Its a std double din,the nav sytem I have has a 6.2 inch screen size. Jenson VM9424, which is a cheaper namebrand I would reccommend a pioneer.

92fiveohfox

Established Member
Here's a pic of the custom one.

2illgxx.jpg

Obviously it CAN be done and Scosche is full of crap about it wont work...

Users who are viewing this thread