For Those Of U Using Synthetic Oil. How Many Miles Between Oil Changes?

How Many Miles Between Each Oil Change?

• 500+

Votes: 4 0.8%
  • 1000+

Votes: 7 1.3%
  • 1500+

Votes: 12 2.3%
  • 2000+

Votes: 22 4.2%
  • 2500+

Votes: 41 7.8%
  • 3000+

Votes: 246 46.9%
  • 4000+

Votes: 62 11.8%
  • 5000+

Votes: 110 21.0%
  • 7500+

Votes: 7 1.3%
  • 10000+

Votes: 14 2.7%

• Total voters

SteveChris

Established Member
my car doesnt like synthetic. when i use it puffs of smoke come out when i start the car up. the dealer did a consumption and leak test and saw nothing, they topped it off with regular pennzoil and then it cleared up. ive been using that since

Wizardrex

THE BIG RED SEXY
Established Member
I was the manager at jiffy lube (don't laugh I was 18) for 2 years. I saw a lot of people listen to the 5k-7k oil change intervuls. You would not believe how many people either burned the oil away or it left build up in the engine. There was a brand new volvo at the time and at 8k miles came in for her first oil change, manual says 7.5k. There was only 1/2 quart of oil left in a 8qt system the engine was on the verge of seizing. Blowers especially modified blowers burn oil even synthetic. Change your oil at least every 3k miles. Because if your car does not burn it now it will and if you aren't acustomed to checking the oil or changing it on a regular basis your motor will fry. I've seen it happen and it sucks

Ron Stopfer

Established Member
Part of the problem with extended oil changes is not with the oil itself, but with the filter. I have a belief that if you use a quality oil (OEM for one), and change the oil every 3,000 miles, you're good to go for the long haul. But if someone has to have synthetic, and they have their oil and filter changed at 3,000 (or 3 months), then they'll be good to go also.

I have a BMW M3 that you're supposed to change the oil after all 5 green lights on the dash finally go out and the little red light appears. Baloney! This system supposedly analyses driving habits, how hot the engine got, etc. I have always ignored this light and change my oil every 3K/3 months, whichever comes first. Follow this ang you can NOT go wrong.

Snake'n Kitty

SVT Guy
Established Member
5K w/ Mobil 1 here. I did let it go to 10K once to determine oil consumption (Yes, this was on purpose. No, I'm not lazy/stupid). The motor used 1/2 qt. in 10K miles with the 2.80 pulley, chip, CAI & cat-back in place. I was favorably impressed! Now I'm back to 5K change intervals.

-Snake

chitowncobra

Established Member
i change my oil and filter ever 500 miles i like clean oil in my baby. hey for $35,000.00 car its worth it for me!!!!!! (5w20 ford oil and ford filter FLS520 filter)

buster1

Established Member
0w30 / 5w30

Why are people using a heavier weight oil than the specified 5w20 that ford calls for , Mobil1 0w20 is also specified as a replacement for 5w20 :shrug:

SoCalCobra311

Team 5.0
Established Member
buster1 said:
Why are people using a heavier weight oil than the specified 5w20 that ford calls for , Mobil1 0w20 is also specified as a replacement for 5w20 :shrug:

good question

Ron Stopfer

Established Member
I think the question of the day is this: Does anyone have any particular information that Ford OEM filter and oil is not a good choice for the Cobra? Are Ford OEM filter s and oils damaging to this car? Unless people are taking their car to the track every weekend, is it financially more effective to use "Brand "X" over Ford's products? I say this not with tongue-in-cheek, but considering the advances in technologies in oils and filters, would Ford sell and use a product that is patently or proven ineffective? I have, in the past, spent weekends at driver's skools at Heartland Park, Topeka, KS, and have always used OEM products in my other vehicles (not in my Mustang) and have never had one problem with OEM in anything I have ever driven. And, is it possible that all of the dino oils all come from the same 1 billion gallon drum someplace? I am not convinced that synthetics offers a bigger bang-for-the-buck improvement over anything compared to regular 3K/3 mo. If anyone has anything other than an educated hunch on this, please pass it forward? (I don't own stock in Ford or any other company.........) But I am always looking for a proven better way to do things...........

Ron Stopfer

Established Member
P.S. After posting the prior note, I'll add here that I have used synthetics recently in some of my vehicles because of the ultra-cold environment that I live in. I think that it probably does provide better engine protection in cold weather initial startups. Mea culpa!

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
Synthetics also do not degrade in the same way dino oils do and have been proven to be more slippery (years ago one article I read claimed as much as 5 hp couldbe freed up with synthetics used throughout the drivetrain). Synthetics protect better in high heat as well.

As far as "bang for the buck", that is a tough one to nail down, but synthetics have been proven to give better protection longer than dino oil. Plus, from firsthand experience, I can tell you that synthetics keep the engine internals cleaner over time. Every engine I have seen has a varnish like coatig on all of the internal parts when dino oil was used, whereas synthetic fed engines remain cleaner, even when they have more miles than a similar dino fed engine.

Some may argue that coloration shouldn't make any difference, but after time, that stuff builds up, however slightly. Considering the tight tolerances in the 4.6 engines, anything could be too much.

Each person needs to make their own judgement on whether the extra cost is worth it. I already made mine and use Amsoil, although I do not believe it is worth the $ vs Mobile 1. But Mobile 1 vs dino is an easy one, Hell yes it's worth it. Go 12K miles on Mobile 1 and it's right in line with dino oil, even with 3K filter changes. JMO

Users who are viewing this thread