For Those Of U Using Synthetic Oil. How Many Miles Between Oil Changes?

How Many Miles Between Each Oil Change?

• 500+

Votes: 4 0.8%
  • 1000+

Votes: 7 1.3%
  • 1500+

Votes: 12 2.3%
  • 2000+

Votes: 22 4.2%
  • 2500+

Votes: 41 7.8%
  • 3000+

Votes: 246 46.9%
  • 4000+

Votes: 62 11.8%
  • 5000+

Votes: 110 21.0%
  • 7500+

Votes: 7 1.3%
  • 10000+

Votes: 14 2.7%

• Total voters

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
ShelbyGuy said:
last sample i sent to the lab was at 5,000 miles and they told me to try 6,000 miles next time.
What was the sample?I didn't see you post what oil you use.

kennycoulter

Established Member
i have been using a different weight everytime, but i use mobil 1 every 3000......i drive mine really easy, and only rarely step on the gas to see any boost.....maybe i should start waiting to change it at 5000. i am young, the mach 1 i traded for the cobra was my first new car, so i wanted to do everything to make the cars last as long as possible.

DD2000GT

VNMS 13
Established Member
I think many are changing the oil earlier than needed "just" to be safe... The biggest reason to change the oil is: 1 - because it is full of contaminants and exhaust by products. 2 - because it has broken down the detergent or is causing sludge due to age and/or heat. 3 - because viscosity has been reduced due to fuel or other thinners.

If your dipstick shows clear oil - then #1 does not apply. If you are not getting sludge deposits on the underside of your oil filler cap, or run your car overly hot (and change the oil at least with realistic frequency) - then #2 does not apply. And if your oil level is not raising mysteriously due to flooding or there reasons, then #3 does not usually apply. That said - synthetic oil is DESIGNED not to break down as easily in heat, and is also DESIGNED to fight acid buildup due to condensation and combustion blowby. As long as the oil is clear on your dip stick - you are fine.

That said, I change mine every 5k miles because I do a lot of spirited driving and live in the hot Texas weather (and usually dusty as well). One of the more important factors in keeping your engine clean is the oil filter - DO NOT USE FRAM! It does not matter if you spend good money on great synthetic oil, if you use a crappy filter that does not filter. In short, you can change your oil every 500 miles if you want, but a good synthetic oil and a good filter will safely run 5k miles (and possibly more) in our cars.

Your cash, your car, your choice.

Dan

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
mobil 1 5-20 every 5k. this time i might use 1qt lucus full sysn with 5qt 0-20 mobil 1 that i have sitting in the garage

I-CAN-STANG

cut em' off at the knees
Established Member
Amsoil Series 2000 0W-30

Oil change every 10-12k miles
Filter change every 5-6k miles

42k miles on the clock as we speak.

No need to do it anymore frequent with Amsoil.

mystic04

Established Member
4k in miles and on my 5th/6th oil change will be 2 year old in early Jan ford 5-20 and filter .will be going to M1 soon maybe this next change if 4 k miles is too soon to go to mobile 1??

351stang

Beast ZL1
Established Member
Excellent post DD2000GT. I completely agree.

Mobil 1, Motorcraft filter, 5000 miles, oil sampling done every 15K.

I'm a Mechanical Engineer that has a lot of large rotating equipment experience. Lubrication intervals get a lot of attention when you lose $250,000 per day when the equipment is down, but the equipment takes 6000 gallons of oil.

A combustion engine does add constant contaminants to the oil, but these contaminants should be filtered out for the most part. The biggest automotive oil killer is oxidation, followed by viscosity changes. I've run a K&N and never seen the elevated Silicon levels that people have claimed on the internet.

Ultra-Anal Early-Changers READ THIS

You can get your used oil sampled for as little as $15. Compare that to your $55 every 1500 miles. You'll get more than just your oil condition, you'll get a window into how your engine is running/wearing. A basic oil sample includes viscosity, oxidation, TAN (total acid number), water content, fuel dilution, contamination, and wear metals. Most oil analysis companies have easy to understand explainations of the report and will give you warnings and alarms for abnormal readings.

The wear metals: Copper, Iron, Lead, Aluminum should be under 10 PPM

If they go up, or more importantly trend up.....then you may see the beginning of a engine problem.......before you acutally have a problem. I've found a fuel system issue with oil sampling......my fuel dilution went over 3%. The viscosity went from 15W50 to around 25. (93 Drag Car) I would have never caught and corrected the problem if I had just been changing my oil frequently.

Good Oil Labs:
http://www.mrtlaboratories.com/Tests.htm

http://www.exxonmobil.com/signum/

DD2000GT said:
I think many are changing the oil earlier than needed "just" to be safe... The biggest reason to change the oil is: 1 - because it is full of contaminants and exhaust by products. 2 - because it has broken down the detergent or is causing sludge due to age and/or heat. 3 - because viscosity has been reduced due to fuel or other thinners.

If your dipstick shows clear oil - then #1 does not apply. If you are not getting sludge deposits on the underside of your oil filler cap, or run your car overly hot (and change the oil at least with realistic frequency) - then #2 does not apply. And if your oil level is not raising mysteriously due to flooding or there reasons, then #3 does not usually apply. That said - synthetic oil is DESIGNED not to break down as easily in heat, and is also DESIGNED to fight acid buildup due to condensation and combustion blowby. As long as the oil is clear on your dip stick - you are fine.

That said, I change mine every 5k miles because I do a lot of spirited driving and live in the hot Texas weather (and usually dusty as well). One of the more important factors in keeping your engine clean is the oil filter - DO NOT USE FRAM! It does not matter if you spend good money on great synthetic oil, if you use a crappy filter that does not filter. In short, you can change your oil every 500 miles if you want, but a good synthetic oil and a good filter will safely run 5k miles (and possibly more) in our cars.

Your cash, your car, your choice.

Dan

Last edited:

Machinator

Banned
ArcaneParadise said:
I got my oil changed first at 1K miles using sythetic oil. I am at about 5850 miles now and I am wondering if I went too long without an oil change... I thought with synthetic I should be doing it about every 5K miles... Is this correct? Well, I put up a poll anyway.

There are several reasons why you should change your oil at 2000 or less IF you drive your car hard for one it is BOOSTED, I dont care what the oil companies promote as far as how long there oil lasts, it isnt any good past 3000 miles because of the Hydrocarbons that blow by as a combustion residue. My mom has used synthetic oil in her BMW for its entire life, it now has 100,000 miles on it and has a ton of carbon buildup inside due to the fact that she changed her oil every 5000 miles against my advice. In a high boost car, which my Cobra is I change the oil every 500 miles and it stays clean.
Scott

GA Terminator

Established Member
I did the old timer change with mine. I changed it at 100 miles, mobile 1 syn + mobile 1 filter. Changed it again at 1000 + filter, last change was at 3000 + filter. Plan to change every 2000 or 6 months which ever comes first.

Users who are viewing this thread