For those with Beards

Do you use products for your beard/facial hair?

• YES

Votes: 10 23.3%
  • NO

Votes: 33 76.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

PoohBear

I am the Red Cyclone
Established Member
I've always had a goatee, but this is my first venture into growing a beard. I was asked if I use products on my beard and thought it was a joke, till I looked it up. For those of you guys with beards, do you guys use any products? Beard oils or balms?

If you use any product do you feel a difference in your beard/facial hair?

Last edited:

PoohBear

I am the Red Cyclone
Established Member
LOL, never had heard of beard oils or any other products for facial hair before until recently. Just checking with the manliest of men on SVTP.

SHOdown220

Established Member
Unfortunately I took a job where I had to trim my beard down really short but when I had it no I didn't use any products in it. Just shampoo and conditioner in the shower.

PoohBear

I am the Red Cyclone
Established Member
Unfortunately I took a job where I had to trim my beard down really short but when I had it no I didn't use any products in it. Just shampoo and conditioner in the shower.

I just use regular soap and shampoo as well. I looked into the oils and balms and it looks like its for those people with huge beards like the Duck Dynasty guys. Which i'm nowhere near having anything like that. The oils supposedly help with conditioning the beard and face so it won't be flaky like dandruff.

hb712

Established Member
Yeah, I do. Oil keeps the beard softer and seems to help reduce tangles, too. I use either the stuff from Duluth or just basic coconut oil. You don't need much, but I do notice a difference, as does my wife.

In terms of regular care, I condition daily and shampoo about once a week (more if dirty or really sweaty). Shampoo will remove the natural oils from your beard and cause it to be a little more coarse.

04owmach

Established Member
Yes I use both of them. They keep your skin from drying out under your beard and looking disgusting. Get the recipe to make your own off the Internet as its much cheaper. When you have a real man's beard these things really help your face saddle look great and drop panties.

venom_inc

Killing time at work.
Established Member
Yeah, I do. Oil keeps the beard softer and seems to help reduce tangles, too. I use either the stuff from Duluth or just basic coconut oil. You don't need much, but I do notice a difference, as does my wife.

In terms of regular care, I condition daily and shampoo about once a week (more if dirty or really sweaty). Shampoo will remove the natural oils from your beard and cause it to be a little more coarse.

Pretty much this...

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
I used Jojoba oil when I was getting passed the initial itchy phase when I was sleeping, doesn't bother me now.

What's up Shadow Grey 03, took so long for Dragon to send my TB it was snowing. I still have your Posi eaton sitting in storage waiting to go on. How you liking the TVS?

Blown 89

Established Member
Oil and Balm. You can tell who does and doesn't use product by how mangy and dried out their beards look.

Troponin

Established Member
I use beard oils and a special soap too. If you have a short beard, it's no big deal, but I had over a year's worth of growth, and what you have to realize it, shampoo and soap are not designed for beards. It dries them out horribly, causes them to look scraggly etc. I use a beard three times a week and condition every time. Keeps me from having to trim it as much because of split ends and nastiness. I have since trimmed it back though, because having 6+ inch hair on your face turns in to a lot of damn work, even if you don't use beard oils. Bowls of cereal were my nemesis.

I make my own beard oils btw. I don't buy them because they are too expensive. It's simply a base of Jojoba oil, grape seed oil, a little caster oil if you want, and essential oils. I like using woody smells, like pine and cedar and a little eucalyptus.

PoohBear

I am the Red Cyclone
Established Member
Yes I use both of them. They keep your skin from drying out under your beard and looking disgusting. Get the recipe to make your own off the Internet as its much cheaper. When you have a real man's beard these things really help your face saddle look great and drop panties.

I used Jojoba oil when I was getting passed the initial itchy phase when I was sleeping, doesn't bother me now.

What's up Shadow Grey 03, took so long for Dragon to send my TB it was snowing. I still have your Posi eaton sitting in storage waiting to go on. How you liking the TVS?

Oil and Balm. You can tell who does and doesn't use product by how mangy and dried out their beards look.

I use beard oils and a special soap too. If you have a short beard, it's no big deal, but I had over a year's worth of growth, and what you have to realize it, shampoo and soap are not designed for beards. It dries them out horribly, causes them to look scraggly etc. I use a beard three times a week and condition every time. Keeps me from having to trim it as much because of split ends and nastiness. I have since trimmed it back though, because having 6+ inch hair on your face turns in to a lot of damn work, even if you don't use beard oils. Bowls of cereal were my nemesis.

I make my own beard oils btw. I don't buy them because they are too expensive. It's simply a base of Jojoba oil, grape seed oil, a little caster oil if you want, and essential oils. I like using woody smells, like pine and cedar and a little eucalyptus.

Thanks for the input and suggestions. I'm barely at 2 months of letting my beard grow and plan to let it grow for a good bit. I'm more than likely going to buy some beard soap and try to make my own beard oil. I'll look for some recipes online. Thanks again.

Niks97cobra

Ready to Go!
Established Member
When I had mine I would condition it when I showered and then put some skin aftershave lotion in it. That helped keep my skin from itching.

oldmodman

Established Member
Nothing.
Wash it in the morning while taking a shower with Zest. Dry with a towel, comb ONCE and that's it for the day.

PaladinMan187

Ford/Subaru Parts Guru
Established Member
I've had a beard that varies from 1/4 of an inch to almost 6 inches long at its longest. I had itching issues when I used shampoo so I switched to Zest bar soap. No more issues. I have debated on using something to straighten it a little so it's easier to trim evenly but that is about it.

hRnYg0aTw33d

Established Member
I use beard oil and don't use shampoo on the shower. I'd rather not wash the oils out. I need to buy some beard soap but I'll get around to it. The beard oil has dramatically changed the feel of my beard and eliminated any dry skin on my face and it smells great. Don't let anyone discourage you from using products in your beard. As others have said, growing a lot of hair on your face becomes a task and a way of life. If you really care about it take care of it and the benefits are great. It's a privilege to be able to grow a beard. I have many friends that can't grow facial hair and I'm proud to say that I have a full beard and mustache. The women love it.

Users who are viewing this thread