Ford Escape vs RAV4 bs CX5

slowtealz28

Established Member
We had a 2013 escape 2.0. Was the biggest POS we ever owned. Bought in 2015, hatch was starting to rust out, Ford wouldn't help, gas gauge was inaccurate, read 4-5 gallons off, numerous recalls, recalled for BCM failing, recalled for stalling while driving - that was fixed, then it continued to stall while driving. After we got it back from the dealership, it shifted so hard it stopped the car and all warning lights came back on. Dealership had to re-fix and car was never right after that. Traded that POS off after 9 months. Our 2 choices were CX5 and RAV4 SE. CX5 was tight in the back for a rear facing car seat, but absolutely loved otherwise. We got a 16 RAV4 SE and love it. Sporty enough for a baby hauler, and gets upper 20's mpg.

Read some stories about some of the previous models stalling out and some models rusting. These are the two things keeping me hesitant to buy the escApe, especially since everyone says Ford is no help when they start rusting

webby092

Established Member
Read some stories about some of the previous models stalling out and some models rusting. These are the two things keeping me hesitant to buy the escApe, especially since everyone says Ford is no help when they start rusting

The warranty was 3/36 B2B, 5/60 for corrosion. I took it in at 37k when i found the rust (a month after purchase) and they would do nothing until it was a hole. My parents leased a 16 2.0, and they have had no issues yet.

We love the RAV, much larger on the inside, more cargo space, generally more space everywhere. We got the SE, which gives LED lighting, better suspension/wheels and appearance modifications. The escape feels tiny compared to the RAV, even though they are in the same class. The CX5 is a great CUV, only reason we didn't get one is the rear seat is tight, similar to escape.

DAVESVT2000

Established Member
Can't compare the previous generation to the current one.

Completely different chassis, motor, drivetrain, interior, etc.

Completely irrelevant to bring up the old models.

webby092

Established Member
Escape is the same generation, just a Mid-Cycle Refresh right? know the engine is revised, but i thought it was the same underpinnings? I don't think its a new platform. The only car in question that is a different platforms the CX5 I believe.

MDShelby

Established Member
Premium Member
Wife just got an Escape a couple of weeks ago, came from a Honda CrossTour. She loves it. Titanium Tech package, front wheel drive, 2.0. Lots of good safety features. She says her driving is less stressful now. I finally drove it the other day and I was impressed.

Last edited:

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
I don't think so. If it were it would have gotten the same 4 star safety ratings as previous models. The 2017 got a 5 star rating so something has changed.
I am not sure about the rust and stall issues since I have not seen any stories about
Escape is the same generation, just a Mid-Cycle Refresh right? know the engine is revised, but i thought it was the same underpinnings? I don't think its a new platform. The only car in question that is a different platforms the CX5 I believe.

Ibleedblue13

Established Member
I'm in the same boat as you. Mazda CX-5 is called the sports car of the compact SUVs.

I rented a 2016 Nissan Rouge and loved it. But after reviewing it Nissan dealerships are known to **** owners and the transmission goes out like spark plugs apparently.

I valet on weekends and park/drive Rogues quite often. There is a delay followed by a clunk when you switch from D to R and vice versa. The interiors are nice but I would be paranoid about the tranny shitting the bed everytime I drove it if I owned one.

slowtealz28

Established Member
I drove the Escape 1.5 today, felt nice. Strangely enough it felt quicker than the RAV4, but on paper it's quite a bit slower. I want to drive the 2.0eco, but the only model I could afford is the SE and it's hard to find them with the 2.0. I personally liked the interior and seats better in the RAV4, and the fact the back seats and trunk are a good bit bigger. Back seats also recline in the rav, Escape doesnt

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
I drove the Escape 1.5 today, felt nice. Strangely enough it felt quicker than the RAV4, but on paper it's quite a bit slower. I want to drive the 2.0eco, but the only model I could afford is the SE and it's hard to find them with the 2.0. I personally liked the interior and seats better in the RAV4, and the fact the back seats and trunk are a good bit bigger. Back seats also recline in the rav, Escape doesnt

The rears in my 17 Escape recline.

nickf2005

Established Member
I had a MY17 for a rental for two weeks. Put nearly 2,000 miles on the thing and it did great. I'm not sure what powerplant it had, but it was very "peppy". Comfort level was good enough for me. It was quite the upgrade from the 01 Escape I sold in 2013. :)

04MysticCobra

Established Member
Which one did you get? I have the Sport (2016) and love it.

Bob, I have the SE 2016 with the 2.0 Eco motor. It's been great in the almost 1 year of owning. I loved my Escape but wanted something larger with more room and it's perfect. I had the 2.0 ecoboost in my Escape and it was great but thought it might be too weak for the Edge but not the case. I have seen the pics of your Sport and its beautiful. Next up for me is the new Bronco in 2 years or so.

slowtealz28

Established Member
Bob, I have the SE 2016 with the 2.0 Eco motor. It's been great in the almost 1 year of owning. I loved my Escape but wanted something larger with more room and it's perfect. I had the 2.0 ecoboost in my Escape and it was great but thought it might be too weak for the Edge but not the case. I have seen the pics of your Sport and its beautiful. Next up for me is the new Bronco in 2 years or so.

What did you pay for the se with 2.0 if you don't mind me asking?

04MysticCobra

Established Member
What did you pay for the se with 2.0 if you don't mind me asking?

My 2014 Escape SE was all wheel drive auto with the 2.0 eco engine and only the trailer tow option. It listed msrp just under 29K and I paid somewhere around 26K. but there was only 1K money back on the 2014 then. I see Ford has a $3900 cash back on the 1.5 engine but if you can get that rebate on the 2.0 engine you should be able to buy at 24K or less.

UncleSAm

Blow Me
Established Member
Personally I'm waiting for the cx-5 diesel

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Users who are viewing this thread