Ford invents cable that can charge electric cars in about 5 minutes. This could be huge!

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
Something tells me Elon Musk has already been down this road but hey the whole world will be demanding this technology so competition is good.

I like that Elon Musk has no patents for any of his discoveries. Anyone can copy him and make it better he says. Thats how we progress he states.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
My phone battery degraded about 15% in 9 months due to fast charging. Now scale it up.
It seems a big chunk of the battery degrading is heat, hence the emphasis on cooling the charger and battery

Don’t get me wrong, I’m a bit skeptical and any worthwhile real world application is a long way off if it even gets that far

VRYALT3R3D

Show me your Members
Established Member
I like that Elon Musk has no patents for any of his discoveries. Anyone can copy him and make it better he says. Thats how we progress he states.
With the catch being you have to use the batteries that can only be purchased from Tesla. No automaker would ever do that.

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member
Sure. You think that's very unusual? Depends on the tank size. And flow speed. I sat behind a full-size SUV last week at Costco that exceeded 5 minute
I wouldn't say it is the norm. Sure there are times in the middle of winter in which the gas flows slower than an old man off his prostate meds but I wouldn't use that as something frequent.

Booky

Who's Pick'n The Banjo Here?
Established Member
And in more related news:

The Mach-E GT only ever gets five consecutive seconds of full power, that’s according to Ford, in order to preserve the battery life. Unfortunately, that makes the GT really disappointing to drive after a while, if you’re trying to go fast or even just have a little fun on a track. I mean, is that supposed to be a GT model or not? And on top of that, a GT Performance model, at that price with a five-second limit, I mean, in our minds, that’s unacceptable,” the Edmunds host said.

We contacted Ford public relations, who confirmed our suspicions. "The GT has around 5 seconds of [maximum] boost, so once that boost is used up, it needs to recharge," we were told. That means it can only deliver 5 seconds of full power at a time before the battery takes a breather.

1 Alibi 2

Veteran,...retired Navy !
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
If charging @ home, what would this do to one's electric bill ??
How about a high efficiency solar panel on the roof instead ?????????????

rborden

Established Member
Looks like with the push to EVs that companies are expanding their research and develop to prepare for a huge expansion of charging technology to meet the expected EV demand. So Ford is working with Purdue University on Patent-pending technology that will allow electric vehicles to completely re-charge their batteries in about the same time it takes to fill a gas tank. They're working to develop a unique high-power electric car charging cable for use with high-power charging cable. This technology/device would allow a complete vehicle battery recharge in about the same time it takes to fill a vehicle's traditional gas tank. What pretty cool (pun intended) is that the cable's liquid cooling system can phase the liquid into vapor which helps to dissipate heat, thus allowing for much faster charging than what the present technology offers.

The electric Ford F-150 Lightning pickup takes about 40 minutes to charge from 15% to 80%.

By comparison, the Ford F-150 Lightning takes about 40 minutes to charge from 15% to 80%. Michael Degner, senior technical leader, Ford Research and Advanced Engineering, said, "Today, chargers are limited in how quickly they can charge an EV’s battery due to the danger of overheating. Charging faster requires more current to travel through the charging cable,".

The most powerful charging stations in use today across America can charge an electric vehicle to 80% in 20 to 40 minutes. No timeline has yet been announced for the new cable.

Here's a link to the full article. Ford invents cable that can charge electric cars in about 5 minutes

It has never taken me 5 minutes to fill up my tank. Lol. Maybe 2 1/2 minutes max.

quad

Established Member
Something tells me Elon Musk has already been down this road but hey the whole world will be demanding this technology so competition is good.

I don't get the hate for Musk. It seems to me he is anti-establishment. In my mind he is one of the good guys.

Rb0891

Established Member
Premium Member
I don't get the hate for Musk. It seems to me he is anti-establishment. In my mind he is one of the good guys.
Yeah, I don't agree with all he does and gets, but I appreciate him not being a bitch boy like every other ahole executive.

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
Yea, its called licensing fees and royalties. Pretty common way of making money after u have invesnted something bro.

With the catch being you have to use the batteries that can only be purchased from Tesla. No automaker would ever do that.

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
Tesla already offers that. Im sure it will be integrated into a home charging base eventually. I can only imagine that was part of his master plan.

If charging @ home, what would this do to one's electric bill ??
How about a high efficiency solar panel on the roof instead ?????????????

04DeadShort

SVT Addict
Established Member
Anxious to see a little more technical data when available and if they are willing to share it. I've worked in the power cable manufacturing for over 20 years and superconducting cable is not really new technology. We experimented with making some about 15 years ago using our specific twist core and insulation. We was able to get it to work really well. But the infrastructure cost for cooling support to keep the cable cool was not cost efficient. We used nitrogen to cool it. I wonder what they are planning to use. Also Graphene is gaining ground as being really strong, highly conductive and lighter than copper. That could be the route they are trying to take. On the flip side some scientist argue Graphene is very harmful and comparable to asbestos. This will probably get interesting

Users who are viewing this thread