Ford is finally replacing both of my heads due to the TICK! Have some ??

brasil

Mordida Venenosa
Established Member
THe day has finally come. I have had the tick since about 800 miles on my 04 Cobra. I have been taking it to the dealer. At first they said that they could not verify it, later they did but told me that engineering was working on the problem. Months went by unti I read a thread a few weeks ago about Ford releasing some new anr revised heads. So I called SVT, and they told me that the new heads have been out since 01/05, so I got the part numbers and called my dealer. The service manager called me back today and said that he has ordered me two new heads. I asked him if they were fully assembled, and he said that it is jus the bare head, and that the valves and all of the parts will be transferred from the old heads. Will this be a problem? I thought that they would just replace the heads with fully assembled ones? Do the new heads need any type of break-in period? Will it be OK if I put synthetic oil right after the new heads are installed and assembled? I was told not to use synthetic oil for a brand new motor, but does that apply to new heads as well?

My 03 Cobra had the TICk and was finally bought back by Ford. When they swapped the head, the only did the bare head and transferred the old parts as well. I just hope that these new heads will solve the Ticking issues that we have been having once and for all. I will keep everyone updated. THanks in advance for answering the questions. :thumbsup:

brasil

Mordida Venenosa
Established Member
I left the paper work at work, so I do not have the part numbers with me at the moment.

brasil

Mordida Venenosa
Established Member
Top Fuel, those part numbers look familiar. I was told by the sevice Manager that they are bare heads, and that the componenets have to be transferred from the old ones. I will call SVT tomorrow to confirm if they cannot ship fully assembled heads.

Top_Fuel

Person of Interest
Established Member
There's a member of this board (SVTADVISOR) who is a Service Advisor in a Ford SVT dealership. He could probably give us the real story on this. Hopefully he'll jump in and comment on one of these threads. I'll shoot him a PM.

brasil

Mordida Venenosa
Established Member
I called a few days ago to speak with him, but I was shocked to find out that he no longer works at that dealership in Texas anymore

Force4.6

Twice Bitten
Established Member
Good luck man, I hope it works and let us know how it turns out. At least the wait is over after hearing all this "they are working on it" stuff. SVT has good people working for them, I am glad to see they acknowledged the problem and are fixing it.

mj8

Established Member
Dropped mine off this morning at the dealership for the tick. We will see what will come of this visit.

Top_Fuel

Person of Interest
Established Member
mj8 said:
Dropped mine off this morning at the dealership for the tick. We will see what will come of this visit.
Yeah, definitely let us know. The part numbers that the SVT 1-800 number gave out don't show up in Ford's own parts database yet. And I got a PM from SVTADVISOR yesterday. He said they haven't received any information from SVT about it.

Staying tuned... :pop: :-D

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I posted this on another thread. There IS a fix (new head) for the tick problem on '04s. The water passages have been modified. If your dealer doesn't have the info have them call SVT. This comes direct from SVT. I just talked to them about it on Wednesday.

Elapidae

Festively Plump
Established Member
CobraBob said:
I posted this on another thread. There IS a fix (new head) for the tick problem on '04s. The water passages have been modified. If your dealer doesn't have the info have them call SVT. This comes direct from SVT. I just talked to them about it on Wednesday.

I wonder what a "water passage modification" has to do with the tick? :??:

SlowSVT

Established Member
Brasil

The only thing you need to be concerned with regard to break-in are the camshaft bearings and the valveguides. Since these parts are only effected by RPM and not "load" I think it would be safe to say that you won't need to observe the same break-in method as you would a new motor. I would keep the revs down for the first 500 miles and don't run the motor too hot to allow the new head casting to stress relieve itself by heat cycling. Running the synthetic oil shoild be OK. You may want to have the mechanic check the valve stem wear in #7 & 8 cylinders to make sure the valve guide didn't wear them out.

mj8

Established Member
Definitely a heat related issue because mine ticked a lot louder in the summer then it does now. The outside temp plays a huge roll.

Users who are viewing this thread