Ford is finally replacing both of my heads due to the TICK! Have some ??

robbcwz

Established Member
RickSvt said:
Hmmm, I dont believe that at all, that the 04's have the new heads....tell you what. Have you tried calling SVT yet and asking them, take that memo in and show it to the rep.

rick

I can tell you that my 04 doesn't have the new heads (or the blue stripe on the heads). Have not checked for the number of threads and no "tick" so far.

BenD

Established Member
Forget the Ford Dealers

I get the best treatment and results from the Lincoln/Mercury dealer. No hassle or BS!

Ford dealer has never seen my car after I took delivery right off the transporter. I drove it right home It had 2.7 miles on it from the factory and I did not, and I repeat I did not let them PDI the car or touch it! We had a brief "Pissing Contest" at the PDI center where all the new cars arrive on the transporter and I took the keys and drove home. That's what I think of Ford dealers...Grrrrr!$#%#@^*&*. It was prepaid in full so I took no shit from them.

YGETV8

Established Member
First off, if the head tick is "normal," why don't ALL Cobras have it?! Sounds like more BS to avoid fixing something they screwed up. If Ford does indeed monitor these forums, they should realize how many potential/future customers are being turned away by BS statements like that. I subscribed to these forums long before I bought my car 14 months ago (used, under warranty), but I bought it before before I realized the kind of crap that is/has been going on. If I'd have waited a year to purchase and kept reading, I'd probably be in an LS1 TA instead.

I love my Cobra, but this just gets frustrating to hear about.

Seems as though "Quality is job one" has been revised to "QUANTITY is job one!"

Ontariomystic

Established Member
It could be possible that the 04's have the updated head. I just checked my drivers side head for thread count. Using a very thin wire with a bend on the end I rubbed it across the threads in the head. There is definately 9 threads in the cylinder head on my car built on Jan 6/04. I remember guys saying in the past that the 03's have only 4 threads.

DitchTehFish

Established Member
Update on my situation: I got a call from the service advisor today, and he said they started work this morning, and I should have my car back tomorrow, and at the latest Thursday. Talk about FAST service for swapping both heads! :D It's blows my mind how some people are fu*ked over, while others like me received great treatment. Hopefully the tick never comes back!!

RickSvt

Its Fast
Established Member
WEll I went in today to check on my car, they had it all put back together and had to take it apart again....there was a chip missing on the passengers side head so it was spewing coolant when the started it......so now I wont get it back till friday......DAMN..but oh well......

Rick

DitchTehFish

Established Member
RickSvt said:
WEll I went in today to check on my car, they had it all put back together and had to take it apart again....there was a chip missing on the passengers side head so it was spewing coolant when the started it......so now I wont get it back till friday......DAMN..but oh well......

Rick

What kind of "chip"? I'm lost...

RickSvt

Its Fast
Established Member
It was a knick out of the bottom middle of the head right on the inside part....its visable from the outside if the blower is off....you should be alright though...

rick

Tylerb59

Established Member
Evidently a hole big enough to leak / spew coolant out. :lol:

Damn that' sucks. :(

It did look like they were handling the heads well, but very unfortunate that had to happen. The good news is you don't have to pay for any of these mistakes. Just out of your car longer.

CobraNHYEE

Established Member
RickSvt said:
It was a knick out of the bottom middle of the head right on the inside part....its visable from the outside if the blower is off....you should be alright though...

rick

Maybe a freeze plug?

YGETV8

Established Member
Silver: did you say your car had a SVT engineer visit to approve the fix? Just trying to see how consistently inconsistent Ford is being!

DitchTehFish

Established Member
brasil said:
Can anyone confirm if these heads made are indeed the ones in the 04 CObras that were produced after 01/04?

I called SVT directly, and NO, these are not the same heads that are in the 04 Cobras produced after 1/04. SVT told me the new heads have been re-casted and have different part numbers. This should clear up some of the doubt on this issue for everyone.

YGETV8

Established Member
So, let's see (and please correct me if I'm wrong): we have some Cobras that are getting heads without difficulty; some that are having to wait till an engineer visits to approve, but some that haven't; some that are getting denied by SVT engineers who aren't apparently up on their own latest parts and TSBs; some getting single heads some both. Sounds like a good consistent plan on Ford's part.

eatonmufs

Established Member
SilverCobra04 said:
It's blows my mind how some people are fu*ked over, while others like me received great treatment. Hopefully the tick never comes back!!

I agree. Speaking of which, here is picture of my new motor. I went to go see her yesterday to introduce myself. We hit it of pretty good till I told her I'd be throwing the KB on her at 22psi!! She has the bloodline of a champion just like I ordered. Adoption papers are filled out and processed. Should have her back by the weekend if all goes well..

45819314-6944-02000180-.jpg

Last edited:

yellow 04 cobra

Established Member
i got my car back yesterday. the new motor with the revised heads man i missed the car! everything is great and no tick FOR NOW! we will see what happens after a couple of thousand miles...

tjdempster

Love Mustangs
Established Member
YGETV8 said:
First off, if the head tick is "normal," why don't ALL Cobras have it?! Sounds like more BS to avoid fixing something they screwed up. If Ford does indeed monitor these forums, they should realize how many potential/future customers are being turned away by BS statements like that. I subscribed to these forums long before I bought my car 14 months ago (used, under warranty), but I bought it before before I realized the kind of crap that is/has been going on. If I'd have waited a year to purchase and kept reading, I'd probably be in an LS1 TA instead.

I love my Cobra, but this just gets frustrating to hear about.

Seems as though "Quality is job one" has been revised to "QUANTITY is job one!"

I have an 03 cobra, nice car good value for the money. I do not think that "Quality is job one" has been revised. I believe it has been quantity for a VERY long time. If Ford were a standup company that backed their products this would not be an issue. You have to wonder about a group of so called engineers and mechanics who cannot figure out what is causing a tick/tap or whatever it is. I knew when I bought this car what it was and what it's main purpose is. It is a shame that FORD sold these cars and from the start does everything it can not to honor their warranty. They should have just sold it without a warranty, it would have been more honest. Just my opinion...

eatonmufs

Established Member
Done

Shes done. Got her back..Gonna break her in and then slap the Kenne Bell on her...Rock on SVT Dudes.....

45854179-ba17-028001E0-.jpg

45854180-9fe5-028001E0-.jpg

45854181-c3de-028001E0-.jpg

45854182-4df3-028001E0-.jpg

45854183-46f2-01E00280-.jpg

They even installed a new clutch!!! Thanks Ford...

Users who are viewing this thread