EditorTurner

Established Member
0-Ford-Performance-572ci-Big-Block-Featured.jpg

Big Thumper
The first look at Ford Performance’s new 572-cube, big-block crate engine
By Steve Turner
Photos courtesy of Ford Performance

Amongst all the excitement at this year’s Mustang Week we spotted something distinctly retro under the canopy at the Ford Performance trailer. Yes, the Blue Oval speed merchants had a lot of modern gear on display. However, there was one large part that stood out. It was a 572-cubic-inch big-block crate engine.

It’s been a while since Ford Performance Parts serviced the big-block crowd with a crate engine, but they definitely had the parts on the shelf to make a go of it, which resulted in the creation of this engine.

“We’ve been out of the big-block 385 series game for a few years now but have seen a resurgence in interest and growing parts support from other aftermarket players,” Ford Performance Drag Racing Parts and Competition Manager Jesse Kershaw explained. “So we decided it was time to take another look at bring a big-block back. We decided if we're going to get back in the game go big-inch or go home.”

The foundation for this big-inch bully is a new race block (PN M-6010-A460BB; $2,949) featuring four-bolt mains and Siamese bores. For this engine, Ford Performance engineers filled it with Scat forged-aluminum, dished pistons; Scat forged-steel H-beam connecting rods; a billet-steel, hydraulic-roller camshaft and a forged-steel crankshaft. Super Cobra Jet aluminum cylinder heads (PN M-6049-SCJA; $1,099), an Edelbrock RPM Performer intake manifold and a Holley Street Avenger 870-cfm carburetor top off this engine.

“Our plan is to produce a big-block crate engine,” he added. “Exact timing is to be determined, but it’s in the works.”

It certainly seems likely that this engine will hit the market and if it does, it will be available in two flavors, with a front- (PN M-6007-572SFT) or rear-sump (PN M-6007-572SRT) oil pan.

“I think it’s a natural for vintage full-size bodies Fords and Ford trucks,” Jesse said. “When you think big-block, you think tire-frying torque, so anyone who wants that need look no further.”

The Mod List
• 572 cubic inches of big-block Ford
• 10.0:1 compression ratio (nominal)
• Scat forged aluminum dished pistons
• Scat forged-steel H-beam connecting rods
• Billet steel hydraulic roller camshaft
• High-performance T-sump oil pan, fits most passenger cars that came equipped with rear sump pans
• Forged Steel Crankshaft
• New heavy-duty four-bolt main Siamese bore race block (M-6010-A460)
• Super Cobra Jet aluminum cylinder heads (M-6049-SCJA)
• With dual-valve springs, retainers, keepers, seals and premium stainless steel swirl polished valves
• Intake valve diameter is 2.20 inches and exhaust valve diameter is 1.76 inches
• Edelbrock RPM Performer intake manifold
• Holley Street Avenger 870-cfm carburetor
• MSD Distributor
• Ford Racing 9mm spark plug wires
• Multi-index timing chain set
• Roller rocker arms
• Heavy duty Jon Kaase oil pump
• Ford Racing polished aluminum valve covers
• High-performance damper

1-Ford-Performance-572ci-Big-Block.jpg

If you are in the market for a big-block Ford engine for you project car, Ford Performance Parts might just have something for you in the form a new 572-cube crate engine.

2-Ford-Performance-572ci-Big-Block.jpg

The basis of the new 572-cube crate engine is this Siamese block, which is available in standard (M-6010-A460) and big-bore (M-6010-A460BB) variants. They feature four-bolt main caps, nodular iron caps and a 10.322-inch deck height. Ford Performance Parts says it is a “high-strength block for professional competition.” The big-bore version can be bored and stroked up to 598 cubic inches.

3-Ford-Performance-572ci-Big-Block.jpg

Topping the new block in this crate engine are FPP’s familiar Super Cobra Jet cylinder heads. These fully assembled heads feature 2.2-inch intake valves; 1.76-inch exhaust valves, 72cc combustion chambers, 290cc intake runners and 148cc exhaust runners. These heads flow a whopping 330 cfm on the intake side and 225 cfm on the exhaust.

jbs$

Established Member
I want one, now for the right project to put it in. I wonder if one could be squeeze into a 64&1/2 Galaxy 500?

primetime1267

Established Member
I would guess the HP would be somewhere in the range of 600-650 on pump gas and the torque would be off the map... Goooobs of tire roasting fun for sure! Then toss a little giggle juice on it or a small hair dryer :banana:

nofire

Sooner#65
Established Member
It is still in development, nofire. When and if they release it, there will certainly be numbers.

True. I'm always wanting all the information NOW. lol

I would guess the HP would be somewhere in the range of 600-650 on pump gas and the torque would be off the map... Goooobs of tire roasting fun for sure! Then toss a little giggle juice on it or a small hair dryer :banana:

That was my thought process as well. I was thinking 650, personally. It would be an absolute blast to have in an old hot rod or pickup, regardless of the final numbers.

jbs$

Established Member
What is a guess on it's price? Also, what modern automatic transmission would be recommended to be hooked to it?

oldmodman

Established Member
I can't wait to see this in the dyno room. With a BIG centrifugal or a pair of turbos hanging off the front end.

Then I would love to see a one right after another comparison with John Kasse's best. I still think his Boss 9 is the best looking engine available new today.

Who will be the first to have an 93 octane reliable street motor with 2000+ hp to the wheels?

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
I wonder if I could shoehorn this into my 2000 AWD V8 Explorer? Hmmmmmm.........

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
Sadly, it's not that much larger than a modular.

Yeah, but my Explorer is the smaller body, and the old school 5.0 is a tight fit. I can only imagine how a mod motor would (or would not) fit in there.

MG0h3

Established Member
What is a guess on it's price? Also, what modern automatic transmission would be recommended to be hooked to it?

Modern, I dont know if there are any retrofit bellhousings for big blocks but I imagine there are.

Typically youd have a C6 behind this.

Users who are viewing this thread