Ford Pickup Rant

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
the 18 trucks have plastic oil plans and they had enough leak issues that they were actually putting on "diapers" over the k-member at the factory.
Which engines had the plastic oil pans? I know the early 2.7s were using them with lots of them leaking oil and people kept having to take them back to re seal the pan

mc01svt

100% full natty brah
Established Member
Well that sucks. Im guessing its to save money

the more i learn about the new AL body trucks the less i like them. Ford trucks used to be fairly indestructible now they are going the disposable route. Components last just long enough for the warranty to end at which point you can pay out of the @ss to keep it on the road or fork over another 6yrs of payments for a new one.

the backup camera just went out on my 2012 and its $600 to fix.

mc01svt

100% full natty brah
Established Member
Remember the Obama EPA standards that were staring them at them. Ounces matter.

nope, that was purely a cost reduction effort as they did the same thing on the 6.7L powerstroke in the super duties which has no EPA ratings. It was a total disaster, fleet owners starting screaming and ford changed it back to metal in 2015.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
the more i learn about the new AL body trucks the less i like them. Ford trucks used to be fairly indestructible now they are going the disposable route. Components last just long enough for the warranty to end at which point you can pay out of the @ss to keep it on the road or fork over another 6yrs of payments for a new one.

the backup camera just went out on my 2012 and its $600 to fix.
Im really disappointed about using plastic oil pans across the whole engine line. I understand the reason to use it on the 2.7 or the 3.3. There entry level engines and in the lower cost trucks. But for someone spending 50-60k for a truck thats just cheap. Sounds like years down the road oil pans will degrade and crack and leaking oil on the roads. I cant see the EPA likeing that.

_Snake_

Established Member
Welp

I spoke to soon. My 18' Screw has 4k miles on it. Time for an oil change. Decided to check the oil out of curiosity before I drop it off tomorrow.

Not a single drop on the stick. 100% bone dry. Things gotta be 4 qts low.

Had oil in it about 1500 miles ago.

If it needs a motor, Ford or the dealer is buying it back. I will not keep it. Essentially ruins the trucks value at that point now since warranty work/engine repairs show up on the carfax/vin reports.

I bet you’re less than 2 quarts low, and hopefully it’s the PCV and not unseated rings.

_Snake_

Established Member
At least there is a fix. Replacement motor.

It looks like a new long block if the PCV repair doesn’t fix the issue. I had the exact same thing happen to my brand new off the lot 1999 GMC 1500 with the 5.3. They confirmed it was burning oil, replaced the PCV, then reluctantly replaced the long block at 13k miles after a BBB arbitration hearing.

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
I bet you’re less than 2 quarts low, and hopefully it’s the PCV and not unseated rings.

Yep. Well aware of the TSB. Dropped it off to have the test performed.

Already told the dealer that if it needs a motor, I expect them to trade me out of the truck into a 19'. I'm not keeping it if it needs a motor in it. Truck won't ever been the same.

mat50ho

Established Member
Why would your truck be any less with a new engine that doesn't guzzle oil? What's the guarantee the 19 won't have any issues?

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
Why would your truck be any less with a new engine that doesn't guzzle oil? What's the guarantee the 19 won't have any issues?

Taking a cab off, replacing everything, putting it back together, and not having issues is not going to happen. That's too much disassembly for me to be comfortable with it. Every truck I've seen have a motor replaced is never the same. Harnesses are usually draping, connections loose, clips broken, engine bay dirty, frame covered in oil/coolant/trans fluid.

Not to mention, it has 4k miles on it. Say what you want, but a truck getting a motor in it within 5k miles will take a hit value wise. It's not fair to me at 40k to take a 5-10k hit because the motor shit the bed under warranty.

Users who are viewing this thread