Ford Pickup Rant

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Why does Ford restrict auto 4x4 to Lariat trim and above!?! It is embarrassing to say that my 2012 Sierra 1500 SLE that I sold to my son got around in the snow a LOT better than my Ford 1500 XLT. Come on Ford, GM has had it on SLE FOREVER. I also like GM's auto-locking rear better, no switches to dick with! End rant.

Whats a ford F1500?

geoffmt

Established Member
Premium Member
Some of the comments crack me up. The gm 10bolt govloc is a cheap piece of crap(surprisingly built by Eaton) . They break too easy. 10 bolts break too easy. After a dozen and an exploded Eaton posi we finally put in a 9.5” 14 bolt and a trutrac. No more issues. I am the smallest tire in my group at 35” yes the auto is great around town, easiest turning and way quicker off the line than any locked or lsd 2wd. The locking diff in the ford is a similar driving experience with the driver selecting the lock instead of slip choosing it in the gm govloc. They both release the lock at around 25-30mph. Makes for bad handling if somewhat sideways and it releases. Biggest problems are the newer computers that shut everything down when slip is detected on all trucks. Damn computers don’t know my intentions and aggressive driving in deeper snow works a lot better that shutting the vehicle to a crawl.
Rant over
IMG_0136.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

jeffh81

Here’s KingBlack
Established Member
Some of the comments crack me up. The gm 10bolt govloc is a cheap piece of crap(surprisingly built by Eaton) . They break too easy. 10 bolts break too easy. After a dozen and an exploded Eaton posi we finally put in a 9.5” 14 bolt and a trutrac. No more issues. I am the smallest tire in my group at 35” yes the auto is great around town, easiest turning and way quicker off the line than any locked or lsd 2wd. The locking diff in the ford is a similar driving experience with the driver selecting the lock instead of slip choosing it in the gm govloc. They both release the lock at around 25-30mph. Makes for bad handling if somewhat sideways and it releases. Biggest problems are the newer computers that shut everything down when slip is detected on all trucks. Damn computers don’t know my intentions and aggressive driving in deeper snow works a lot better that shutting the vehicle to a crawl.
Rant overView attachment 1556595

Yeah we never broke any rears, but we weren’t running 35s either.

geoffmt

Established Member
Premium Member
Yeah we never broke any rears, but we weren’t running 35s either.

I am hard on my stuff and things break, I do a lot of off pavement screwing around. The picture was from a checkerboard, Montana snorun. We were sitting on top of about 10’ snowpack and am the only one that broke through. I didn’t air down enough(15psi) every one else was at 4-6 psi.
My rant was supposed to be about every one giving OP a hard time about wanting a better winter driver. More power to him if it’s only $1k for an auto t/c. It’s easier on parts if it’s partially dry out and makes driving simpler. And it also makes it easier for our wives too.

jeffh81

Here’s KingBlack
Established Member
I am hard on my stuff and things break, I do a lot of off pavement screwing around. The picture was from a checkerboard, Montana snorun. We were sitting on top of about 10’ snowpack and am the only one that broke through. I didn’t air down enough(15psi) every one else was at 4-6 psi.
My rant was supposed to be about every one giving OP a hard time about wanting a better winter driver. More power to him if it’s only $1k for an auto t/c. It’s easier on parts if it’s partially dry out and makes driving simpler. And it also makes it easier for our wives too.

Yeah i got no experience with snow. Now mud on the other hand is a different story. You are very right though, the G80 is garbage compared to a trutrac. They really undersized the axles in the GM trucks.

_Snake_

Established Member
I was educated Bob, just underestimated how much I liked the GM 4x4 system better than the XLT version. It would be an easy decision to go back, if I didn't like everything else about my truck, especially my 3.5 eco and 38 gallon gas tank.

There used to be a company that sold a viscous coupler for the front axle, no longer available unfortunately.

Went down and bounced swapping the transfer case off my favorite 4x4 shop. Unfortunately, there are hardware, wiring and most importantly, computer nanny issues. So that is not a feasible deal.

Will most likely run dedicated snow tires and just be more aggressive with the 4x4 switch.

The issue I have with the XLT 4x4 has nothing to do with off-roading, it has everything to do with not getting T boned turning right on a icy intersection coming off a dry road. That has been a super common occurrence this winter.

The irony of the Weather Man wanting extra nannies for bad weather......

dannydarko11

Yeah...no, I know
Established Member

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
Nothing much to add other than mentioning the older Harley F150's had "AWD" as well.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
OP had the best and went to the rest and now he got those Ford Man Blues. :D

Was a Ford man and then sold and bought GMC's, went back to Ford when I got out of the sales gig. The auto 4x4 was one feature I missed. GM can't touch the 3.5 TT even with the 6.0 and has no tanker gas tank.

Users who are viewing this thread