Ford press release GT500 3/31/9

Tarball

Established Member
How? people did like 12.3 stock in the current one. If you look at that time you only get 3th's for 120hp over a terminator.

Captain Beyond

Established Member
How? people did like 12.3 stock in the current one. If you look at that time you only get 3th's for 120hp over a terminator.

I read that Ford's #s were 4.1 (0-60) and 12.1 (1/4 mile).:shrug: Those are the #s that were published on the TeamShelby site. Ford's #s are always on the conservative side though. There will be some better drivers that go quicker. We know that the current models have gone low 12s with capable drivers. The KR has gone as quick as 11.9 @ 120 mph. (MM&FF Sept. 2008). Expect the 2010 model to be almost or just as quick as the KR. :burnout:

Last edited:

CobraRed01

CornerCarvinCravin
Established Member
Help me out here....Reducing downforce by 50% on the rear-end at high speed... is a good thing? Wouldn't that have a negative effect on road-holding/handling at the Edge? Or, is that just a fuel efficiency change? Does the tune-able "Gurney Flap" in someway compensate for this?

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
nice, but it doesnt seem the numbers change that much in performance from the generation before. the biggest improvement to me is the tranny gears and the clutch setup

chuckstang

Established Member
I thought the car would be faster for having an underrated 540hp and better gearing.

Gearing is not better, KR had 373s

Not as underrated as you would think. It is more like 550hp

IMO the only reason why Ford has never marketed the GT500 with 550hp is because the FGT made 550 and they did not want to intrude on that number

Call me crazy but I would bet you hundred bucks that is why

chuckstang

Established Member
Also, why are so many expecting amazing performance improvements.

This is not a new model like the GT500 was to the Term.

We have to wait for the new powertrain that is rumored for 2011

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
Gearing is not better, KR had 373s

Not as underrated as you would think. It is more like 550hp

IMO the only reason why Ford has never marketed the GT500 with 550hp is because the FGT made 550 and they did not want to intrude on that number

Call me crazy but I would bet you hundred bucks that is why

Doesn't the current 500 have ~3.31's

It sounds like the only real HP improvements are due to the tuning. Does that mean the adding an aftermarket CAI/tune will yield far less gains vs. the current 500's that can get +50rwhp from one? Essentially eliminating the need for an non-oem intake?

Maybe I'm looking at this wrong, but that's the way I see it.

chuckstang

Established Member
Doesn't the current 500 have ~3.31's

It sounds like the only real HP improvements are due to the tuning. Does that mean the adding an aftermarket CAI/tune will yield far less gains vs. the current 500's that can get +50rwhp from one? Essentially eliminating the need for an non-oem intake?

Maybe I'm looking at this wrong, but that's the way I see it.

Yes, it is the same motor internally. Good news though is that the car comes with a CAI.

Although they did add knock sensors

I think this new GT500 will get new buyers but I would bet my left nut a very very small % of current GT500 owners will be trading in for it. Its just too much the same exact car.

If they make an AL motor for 2011, expect many trades because that is SUBSTANTIAL

Fastboy

Established Member
Is the ALUM motor the only change scheduled for 2011? An ALUM motor would drop how much weight?

Thanks

jbrown1238

Built on 4-7-03 @ 3:47:15
Established Member
when do we get more pics of this beast? I'm dying to see a white with blue stripes '10.:shrug:

Not the best shot but it is white w blue stripes. Sorry, I couldn't resist the second one.

DSC04297.jpg

DiskB055.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread