Ford Racing has been hard at work on the eco boost mustang...check it!!!!

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
well I guess Ford just took bragging rights away from a lot of shops lol. They should really piss in everyone's cheerios and sink one into the 9s too

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
But then it wouldn't be with one of there warrantied kits.

theres plenty of stuff on there already that Im pretty sure the dealer is gonna tell you to get bent if you come in there for warranty service.

I just think it would be funny...

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
I see metal floor at the 2:20ish mark.

Not too many folks will be ripping the carpeting out of their Mustang. Would like to see the whole story behind these cars. If this were any other manufacturer, we'd be tearing them apart over that.

I usually avoid those kind of arguments because I just don't care too much. Pulling carpet to me isn't worth the hassle. Seats are a good amount of weight but between the weight difference of that Sparco and the factory seat and then the weight of the cage, how much weight do you think is really being taken out?

Also, the cars still had relatively minor mods to get where they did respectively so it should be obvious that some more basic mods will offset the need to remove interior weight.

FiveOhJoe

Established Member
Not too thrilled to see that a good chunk of the mods are IRS mods. Lots of Cobras deep into the 10's on completely stock half shafts. The key is slicks or similar. And the s550 needs a built IRS and slicks to not break? Bummer

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
Not too thrilled to see that a good chunk of the mods are IRS mods. Lots of Cobras deep into the 10's on completely stock half shafts. The key is slicks or similar. And the s550 needs a built IRS and slicks to not break? Bummer

Who said any of the stock ones broke?

So whenever someone upgrades anything on their cars to a better piece means the original broke? A lot of these parts are developmental parts for later vehicles, including the CJ so a lot of these parts are probabt developed to overkill.

Last edited:

ArabianOak

Established Member
correct me if i'm wrong, but people bitching about the weigh reduction by removing carpet and whatnot...are you not factoring in how much those roll cages add for weight?? I would assume a few hundred pounds, but i'm not sure as I never had a cage on any of my cars...just wondering...

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
I usually avoid those kind of arguments because I just don't care too much. Pulling carpet to me isn't worth the hassle. Seats are a good amount of weight but between the weight difference of that Sparco and the factory seat and then the weight of the cage, how much weight do you think is really being taken out?

Also, the cars still had relatively minor mods to get where they did respectively so it should be obvious that some more basic mods will offset the need to remove interior weight.

I don't care what they did to run those time. Ford just seemed to leave out (more likely was vague) those other modifications on their mod list. I was just pointing out that if any other manufacturer did that, we'd be tearing them to pieces.

To your other questions, I don't think a 4pt bar adds very much weight. I would guess ~30-40ish, depending on what material was used. Even with that, I would guess that the cars tested were all lighter than stock. Again, no biggie, just not as clearly pointed out as it could have been.

how much those roll cages add for weight?? I would assume a few hundred pounds, but i'm not sure as I never had a cage on any of my cars...just wondering...

Not even close for a 4pt setup.

Last edited:

KonaFifty

Established Member
I see metal floor at the 2:20ish mark.

Not too many folks will be ripping the carpeting out of their Mustang. Would like to see the whole story behind these cars. If this were any other manufacturer, we'd be tearing them apart over that.

It is actually a couple seconds before 2:20. If you pause and look carefully, you are looking at the metal which the rear seats would cover. Meaning it has no rear seats, but if you also look carefully, Ford Racing installed a roll cage which adds more weight than the rear seats for "safety" which would hinder reainstalling the rear seats. Also isn't it if you run faster than a 11.5 you are required to have a roll cage to run on the strip? Which is probably one of the reasons Ford Racing installed them on the car.

Bob Cosby

Established Member
11.49 and quicker require a rollBAR (not rollcage - quite a difference). You can get rear seats into a car with a 6 pt bar, but it can be quite the hassle. It is likely that a 4 pt bar, and certainly a 6 pt bar, weighed more than the rear seats. Front seats, on the other hand, are usually quite heavy.

As for the upgraded halfshafts....wise move. A stock 8.8 axle is certainly not bulletproof, and upgrading halfshafts on an IRS is essentially the same as upgrading axles on an SRA - a smart move if you intend to beat on the car at the drag strip.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
11.49 and quicker require a rollBAR (not rollcage - quite a difference). You can get rear seats into a car with a 6 pt bar, but it can be quite the hassle. It is likely that a 4 pt bar, and certainly a 6 pt bar, weighed more than the rear seats. Front seats, on the other hand, are usually quite heavy.

As for the upgraded halfshafts....wise move. A stock 8.8 axle is certainly not bulletproof, and upgrading halfshafts on an IRS is essentially the same as upgrading axles on an SRA - a smart move if you intend to beat on the car at the drag strip.

The center section of the 8.8 is all new I guess, not sure if you saw it but Ford calls it the super 8.8 and it's supposed to be as strong as a 9.75" rear.

I wonder what the breaking point of the half shafts will be?

Bob Cosby

Established Member
I guess I haven't paid much attention to the newer 8.8s, though I do recall reading something about that. However, are the axles also better? I've never broken anything in the center section (that I can remember....lol), but I most certainly have trashed an axle or three.

rrg9946

Established Member
I guess I haven't paid much attention to the newer 8.8s, though I do recall reading something about that. However, are the axles also better? I've never broken anything in the center section (that I can remember....lol), but I most certainly have trashed an axle or three.

I would likes to know what the part numbers are fir the upgraded shafts FRPP used for the 1/4 hits. I wonder what prices will be like and how much they can actually hold power wise. This will be something I will do immediately.

Users who are viewing this thread