Ford Raptor trucks bending frames...

SVT_4_me

Established Member
i'm not sure if you guys have seen this, but i thought i would post it up. ford really needs to get it together and step up their R&D. this is unacceptable along with the mustang transmission, myford touch, fiesta transmission, etc... WTF??? :bash:

[ame=http://www.raptorforumz.com/showthread.php?t=14208]Ford Raptor Frames Bending - Bed Alignment issue! - FORD RAPTOR FORUM - Forums and Owners Club! - F150 SVT Raptor![/ame]

p1020638n.jpg

gordon1.jpg

p1020636o.jpg

Last edited:

usmcrebel

Established Member
looks like from the back grounds they were beating it hard...someone should do the math weight of the truck plus falling 12"+ and traveling 55mph...that would qualify as hard abuse in my book....

outside_frame_drawing.jpg

That would take a pretty serious drop to bend like that.

Last edited:

Snagged

Shenanigans!!!
Established Member
This doesn't surprise me at all, I expected something like this to happen to these trucks. Owners expecting too much out of these trucks and take them off big jumps and put them through heavy abuse.

Speedylifsavr

Established Member
This doesn't surprise me at all, I expected something like this to happen to these trucks. Owners expecting too much out of these trucks and take them off big jumps and put them through heavy abuse.

Ditto.....taking them out and expecting a full out baja experience .

baja.gif

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
I agree that they are pushing the truck beyond the intended design limits, but....

I somewhat agree with the problem/complaint Raptor owners are have, and they shouldn't have to pay for the repairs. Check out this post quote that contains an actual press release of the new Raptor SVT truck. If you don't want them to push the truck beyond the intended limits, why are you telling them they can?

Not that I want to continue the diologue but thought this would squech some of the discussion about the intended use of the vehicle. Paying attention to the following quote:

"Even if the typical Ford customer will not be putting their truck through the punishing paces of the Baja 1000, the point is, they could."

I'm not arguing the warranty issues (that is for the attorney's to settle) but that it is not to hard to understand why people who bought them think they should be able to run them across the desert.

Here is the official Ford press release:

ENSENADA, MEXICO, Nov. 25, 2008 – The Ford F-150 SVT Raptor R race truck, based on the production version of the upcoming 2010 F-150 SVT Raptor, survived the grueling 41st Tecate SCORE Baja 1000, finishing the 631 mile race in 25:28:10.

Considered one of the toughest off-road races in the world, the Ford F-150 SVT Raptor R race truck that participated in the Baja 1000 was a collaboration between the Ford Special Vehicle Team (SVT), Ford Racing, and Foutz Motorsports Inc. The pickup was entered into the race to test the durability and performance of the 2010 F-150 SVT Raptor, which goes on sale in the summer of 2009.

"We engineered the F-150 SVT Raptor to be the best high-speed off-road performance truck available right off the showroom floor, and finishing the Baja 1000 proves this," stated Jamal Hameedi, SVT's Chief Nameplate Engineer. "Now we need to analyze all the engineering data from the race and apply lessons learned to the production truck, ensuring that the truck delivered to customers exceeds their expectations."

Prepared for racing in long distance off-road endurance events, the Ford F-150 SVT Raptor R uses stock components of F-150 SVT Raptor, including the transmission, brakes and axles. The frame - the part of the truck that will take the most stress - is the same proven fully boxed frame that delivers class-leading towing and hauling in the all-new 2009 Ford F-150 that went on sale in October. The Raptor race truck is powered by a specially-calibrated version of the available 6.2-liter V-8 engine, making 500-horsepower.

Even if the typical Ford customer will not be putting their truck through the punishing paces of the Baja 1000, the point is, they could.

The Ford F-150 SVT Raptor R in the Baja 1000 also served as a test bed for the development of a lineup of race-proven, desert-tested, off-road performance parts that will be available through the Ford Racing catalog.

IMO, if you are going to boast about how good this truck is, and how well it could survive the punishment of the Baja 1000, Ford better stand behind the warranty and fix an apparent flaw in the frame design.

Last edited:

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Also, if you watch some of the off road demo videos on that site, you will see them marketing the truck as a higher speed baja style off road truck, not a parking lot speed bump crawler.

Ford, fix yet another FAIL you have release and stop blaming it on the customer. I'm still sour in the face about the new 5.0 issues they want to blame every failure on either aftermarket tuning, or abuse. BS! Cars that are stock were still having the #8 cylinder failure.

DriftwoodSVT

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Established Member
ford markets the truck to be a capable high speed off road vehicle though. just watch the intro video on the official site...

The 2011 F-150 SVT Raptor | The official site of the Ford F-150 | FordVehicles.com

Also, if you watch some of the off road demo videos on that site, you will see them marketing the truck as a higher speed baja style off road truck, not a parking lot speed bump crawler.

Exactly. No one should advertise a vehicle purpose built for something then not be able to back it up.:nonono::nonono:

M3xpress

Established Member
I'm not going to spend that type of money to jump that truck off of dunes or jump across ponds like the Dukes of Hazard. Built right or not, that kind of abuse is going to lead to something breaking.

With that being said, if it is advertised to be able to be taken off road without bending the frame, then I'd like to know it's strong enough to handle that even if I don't use it.

I may never use the total towing power of a new Powerstroke, but it is nice to know if I had to, I could use it without problems.

Last edited:

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member

Ford, fix yet another FAIL you have release and stop blaming it on the customer. I'm still sour in the face about the new 5.0 issues they want to blame every failure on either aftermarket tuning, or abuse. BS! Cars that are stock were still having the #8 cylinder failure.

i was looking at getting a new 5.0 last week but after hearing about these issues i decided not to. ive been through the warranty denied ordeal with ford before and would prefer not to go through it again with a brand new car :nonono:

while i agree that they are advertising the vehicle as being able to off road etc... im betting these trucks were taken a little bit beyond their limits here. what that limit is is the gray area...

that really sucks because its not like you can just order up a new frame from Tousely and fix it yourself... its like the GTR guys with broken transmissions.

02SILVERBULLET

horsepower addict
Established Member
That issue stems directly from the fact the truck ran out of travel and bump stop while still having inertia due to landing from a large jump or big hit. look at the bump stops of off road race trucks. the raptor is under stopped. my friend has one and that is one point i mentioned in the begining. If these specific trucks had a larger more progressive bump stop to slow the vehicle more progressively that may not have happened.

now looks like time for an upgrade, a competent fab shop could fab a nice bucket/gusset to add either a "light racing" bump stop or something more similar to a king/fox/FOA/ etc.

I do not see Ford being responsible for this at all.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
Manufacturers these days have some serious issues with advertising one thing, but when it comes down to it not honoring it. How many advertisements do you see for trucks doing serious off-roading in super rutted roads and mud? How many sports cars are seen racing through the streets, burning tires, doing doughnuts etc.?

They advertise it as such, but when the owners do it and something breaks, it is labeled abuse. "Here's a 412 hp mustang. Just don't try to use all 412 hp of it."

It's not just Ford either. Nissan with the GTR transmissions is a good example.

The only vehicles I've had that seemed to be at least somewhat exempt of this were my Corvettes. The owners manuals go as far as to tell you want you need to do in racing, or spirited driving operation. When I did have a part fail during a lapping day on my c6, it was replaced no questions asked.

At this point on my 5.0 my powertrain warranty is as good as gone, even though the car is bone stock. The dealership would take one look at the tires after a weekend of lapping and immediately deny any claim I may have. It's okay though to give the cars to road and track to do the same thing. To make car commercials doing the same thing.

Kind of sad.

Users who are viewing this thread