Ford Service Center *Rant

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
Yea I think this goes back to two separate but the same things. (If that makes sense)

1. Service Reps not communicating with techs to get the right information to the customers.

2. Some dealerships will never get that right.

Yup. I've watched in person and listened on the phone to the local dealership Reps go into the shop to talk to the Techs.

Tezz500

Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!
Established Member
Yup. I've watched in person and listened on the phone to the local dealership Reps go into the shop to talk to the Techs.
I mean honestly, how else are you gonna get the right info?

Same with any job i would imagine. If you don't communicate to the other departments or sections that have the expertise that you lack, how can you expect to get the right information to the people that need it?

5.0 Hatch

Established Member
Maybe it's coincidence but every service horror story I have revolves around a Ford dealership. I now drive a Titan and the dealership experience has been exceptional the few times I went. It helps that the waiting area has a full glass wall looking into the service bays. I feel for the techs but at least I know my truck isn't sitting on a lift with no one around.

tistan

Established Member
I don't about now, but 10-15 years ago we used to work on OC's house. His son Chip and my bosses son were friends in school. That kid was weird and about as bright as a black hole. It's hard to blame the kid for growing up weird as his dad was ****ing every whore between Savannah and Hilton Head. As soon as Chip was out of school, OC made him a sales manager. I'm assuming it was a go sit in your office and play video games type job, but if that kid really is managing anything, I'd be worried about shopping there.

jessie_sanders

Established Member
I used to work on RTU's at a Ford dealership. I would stop and talk to some of the techs that were working on something interesting. Them guys had some stories lol. I wouldn't let that particular dealership touch anything I owned.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Tezz500

Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!
Established Member
Something I find to be pretty wild is the difference youll get in the show room vs the service department.

Some Dealers are great at selling cars, others are great at servicing them....

I think the true Unicorn is finding a dealership you'd enjoy buying the car from AND get good work done by the service department.

VegasMichael

Established Member
I took my Explorer to a dealership in Vegas when I lived there. First time was to get some recall work done. The service rep couldn't have been nicer. I told her I was going to wait and she said it would be about 4 hours. I said no problem I have a book and my smartphone. Every hour she came to me and updated me on the progress. I shot the breeze with the sales people, drank the free coffee, and was amazed how happy everyone there was.

The second time I had a rodent chew up wiring in the engine and took it over. They arranged a LYFT ride home for me and called me when they were done. They sent me pictures of the damage and again everyone there was on the ball and seemed happy to be there. The place probably has good leadership if people are content at their workplace.

Zemedici

Established Member
Wow at some of these horror stories

Having worked service and parts at multiple dealerships, it’s all about communication, management, and overall work ethic of the shop.

I’ve been at corporate dealers that were ran like well oiled machines, and independents that made Ringling Bros look civilized and organized.

Last dealer i worked at, backed the wifeys mustang INTO THE WALL. Then tried to deny it until i literally showed them where it hit and how it lined up. And i worked there Smfh

BlueSnake01

Established Member
My cousin has worked at Honda, Jaguar, and now at Range Rover. Ton of horrible stories at all those places lol

Customer's dont make things better. One customer had a different carpet that was in the way of the gas pedal. Made huge complaints that car had no power, wanted to lemon the car, etc. Did I mention he was also out of warranty on the Rover? LOL

01yellercobra

Established Member
I've been pretty lucky with the Ford stuff. Now that I have a diesel tech that's basically family I take my truck to him if need be. But even before that the service wasn't bad.

Now for Audi, that's whole different story. Took the wife's car in for an oil change on a Friday morning as we were heading out of town that afternoon. The wife told them this and they said no problem. I think it was about 1pm I'm wondering what's going on with the car. She calls and they tell her they're short staffed so they won't be able to get to it until Saturday morning. She told them again that we were going to be out of town. They're response was "sorry". She wouldn't let me go inside when we went to pick it up so we could head out.

Flash forward a couple years later and I've forgotten about the oil incident. We need to get some warranty work done on her car. She makes an appointment for Friday morning. We drop it off Thursday evening. Late afternoon Friday I'm wondering what's going on so she reaches out. They tell her again they're short staffed so they won't be able to get to it until Tuesday. Then why the f*** did you have me drop it off Friday? So far they've had it 2 months. The only saving grace is they gave us a loaner at week 3.

I really need Ford to start making 2023 Edges.

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
I'm just following along for now. But.....

Called into Savannah, Ford dealer is closer. I won't mention names yet.
Female service rep: "Can you provide a vin#? "

I ask why,

"So that we can see if you have any recalls on your vehicle."

"I have Ford Pass ma'am, I'm all up to date. Can I make an appointment, I'm at work and don't have my vin in front of me."

"No sir, just give us a call back when you have your vin"

For the record, I was courteous and polite. Almost like pretending I called @13COBRA dealership and was about to get some stand up service. But um....

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I've been pretty lucky with the Ford stuff. Now that I have a diesel tech that's basically family I take my truck to him if need be. But even before that the service wasn't bad.

Now for Audi, that's whole different story. Took the wife's car in for an oil change on a Friday morning as we were heading out of town that afternoon. The wife told them this and they said no problem. I think it was about 1pm I'm wondering what's going on with the car. She calls and they tell her they're short staffed so they won't be able to get to it until Saturday morning. She told them again that we were going to be out of town. They're response was "sorry". She wouldn't let me go inside when we went to pick it up so we could head out.

Flash forward a couple years later and I've forgotten about the oil incident. We need to get some warranty work done on her car. She makes an appointment for Friday morning. We drop it off Thursday evening. Late afternoon Friday I'm wondering what's going on so she reaches out. They tell her again they're short staffed so they won't be able to get to it until Tuesday. Then why the f*** did you have me drop it off Friday? So far they've had it 2 months. The only saving grace is they gave us a loaner at week 3.

I really need Ford to start making 2023 Edges.

We've been ordering 2023 Edges for a while now.

I'm just following along for now. But.....

Called into Savannah, Ford dealer is closer. I won't mention names yet.
Female service rep: "Can you provide a vin#? "

I ask why,

"So that we can see if you have any recalls on your vehicle."

"I have Ford Pass ma'am, I'm all up to date. Can I make an appointment, I'm at work and don't have my vin in front of me."

"No sir, just give us a call back when you have your vin"

For the record, I was courteous and polite. Almost like pretending I called @13COBRA dealership and was about to get some stand up service. But um....

Why didn't you just open up your FordPass app on your phone, while you were on the phone, and gave her your VIN?

01yellercobra

Established Member

Why didn't you just open up your FordPass app on your phone, while you were on the phone, and gave her your VIN?

I ordered an Edge ST through you. I'm waiting for the VIN at this point.

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member

Lack of reception, my fordpass just spins while at work.
I did think of that though at least

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I ordered an Edge ST through you. I'm waiting for the VIN at this point.

I misread your post haha I thought you were saying you couldn't order them yet. I'm looking forward to seeing it in Forged Green!

Lack of reception, my fordpass just spins while at work.
I did think of that though at least

Suuureee haha

01yellercobra

Established Member
I misread your post haha I thought you were saying you couldn't order them yet. I'm looking forward to seeing it in Forged Green!
Same here. I've seen one Edge ST since ordering and it was blue. We have yet to see the green.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
As a service advisor for an independant repair facility, we never advise customers to wait for their vehicles. Too often things don't go as planned whether it is parts hold ups or something where a prior repair from the day before holds up scheduled vehicles for the following morning, it always just ends up irritating the customer if they end up sitting in the lobby for hours thinking their vehicle will be in and out within an hour. No matter what the repair is we are going to need the vehicle for at least 2-3hrs because I have 100 vehicles on the lot that we are shuffling around, and when half of those are Enterprise then we very well may find that our boss has pushed one of their vehicles to front in order to keep them happy and it screws up our schedule and we have to adjust.

Customers are scheduled in with their name and detailed notes on their issues which is a no-brainer for anyone doing this job. You should have some idea of what is going to be required time-wise when that customer comes in. For a 10k check up the vehicle likely isn't going to need much but I would still do everything I could to get you out of the shop, and in OP's personal experience that would mean either offering to shuttle you to home or work and bringing you back or getting you in a loaner for the day so you aren't stuck. Miscommunication happens a lot but having those tools at your disposal can smooth over what would normally be a really pissed off customer.

I've dealt with a lot of advisors at dealers and they treat us pretty terribly as a customer most of the time so my opinion of them is that don't seem to care as much about taking care of the customer. Whenever I try to get input or ask questions from them it's like talking to a brick wall and you get nothing. Not all are going to be like that but it seems like plenty of them are. Just not much interest in helping the customer as much as possible.

1 Alibi 2

Veteran,...retired Navy !
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
I have never been asked for my VIN when making an appointment, they ask which vehicle.
I make appointments via phone, state what I want done.
On the day of the appointment, tell the service writer what I want done, give him the keys.
Instead of going to the waiting room, ( never leave a vehicle ), I go sit in the vehicle, so I can talk to the tech, & discuss whats to be done.
.....................I try to leave nothing to chance..

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I have never been asked for my VIN when making an appointment, they ask which vehicle.
I make appointments via phone, state what I want done.
On the day of the appointment, tell the service writer what I want done, give him the keys.
Instead of going to the waiting room, ( never leave a vehicle ), I go sit in the vehicle, so I can talk to the tech, & discuss whats to be done.
.....................I try to leave nothing to chance..

If they ask which vehicle, it's because you've already been to that dealership with that car before and they have the VIN.

Some DMS won't allow you to schedule an appointment without having a VIN inputted.

Users who are viewing this thread