Ford Shelby Mustang GT350 to get 5.2-Liter Flat-Plane Crank V-8 ??

SlowSVT

Established Member
It's much older than that. The LS7 is just a large displacement gen IV SBC, which dates back to the mid/late '90's. Quite old by today's standards.

The viper mil is not a good example for V10 sounds, as it is based on a highly modified 90 degree 360ci V8. It's odd sound is due to a 90/54 degree firing order. It was either that, or change cylinder banking add/or add a balance shaft.

If you closed your eyes and listened to the V10 Lambo I ran you would swear you were listing to an warmed over STi as stated.

Are the Viper cranks unequal throw spacing?

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
Are the Viper cranks unequal throw spacing?

Here is what it looks like:

Firing order 1, 10-9, 4-3, 6-5, 8-7, 2

comma = 90 degrees
dash = 54 degrees

Fire 1, rotate 90
Fire 10, rotate 54
Fire 9, rotate 90
Fire 4, rotate 54
Fire 3, rotate 90
Fire 6, rotate 54
Fire 5, rotate 90
Fire 8, rotate 54
Fire 7, rotate 90
Fire 2, rotate 54
----------------------
Tot. Degrees: 720

SlowSVT

Established Member
Here is what it looks like:

Firing order 1, 10-9, 4-3, 6-5, 8-7, 2

comma = 90 degrees
dash = 54 degrees

Fire 1, rotate 90
Fire 10, rotate 54
Fire 9, rotate 90
Fire 4, rotate 54
Fire 3, rotate 90
Fire 6, rotate 54
Fire 5, rotate 90
Fire 8, rotate 54
Fire 7, rotate 90
Fire 2, rotate 54
----------------------
Tot. Degrees: 720

I wonder why they didn't use equal throw spacing? Harmonics?

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
I wonder why they didn't use equal throw spacing? Harmonics?

Yup, and their budget did not allow for a clean sheet engine design. It originated from the old 360 V8.

They could have went with a balance shaft to equal it out, but decided against it for performance and cost reasons.

More on topic, but is there any chance that the engine noise that we are hearing is not even from a V8 at all?

ponyboyisaac

Now Kaioken...times 10!!
Established Member
I love how car forums are always full of people who doubt everything. I remember when the LS7 was being developed rumors were floating around the forums that it was going to have titanium connecting rods. Well a lot of know it all's on certain forums claimed chevy would never/could never put such an expensive/exotic rod in a production engine. Those guys sure got quiet when the C6Z hit the streets.
Don't doubt for a second that Ford has developed this 5.2L flat plane v8.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
Actually V10's don't sound as well as a V8 regardless. The Viper is a good example. A V8 seems to have the optimal number of pulses which makes that brawny muscular sound. A V12 screaming it's guts out is pretty wicked but not so much everywhere else.

All this is subjective of course but I think most people will agree.

Ever heard a Triton V10 with exhaust? The few I heard were amazing.

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
Yup, and their budget did not allow for a clean sheet engine design. It originated from the old 360 V8.

They could have went with a balance shaft to equal it out, but decided against it for performance and cost reasons.

More on topic, but is there any chance that the engine noise that we are hearing is not even from a V8 at all?

what exactly would ford go with otherwise? definitely not a V6

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
what exactly would ford go with otherwise? Definitely not a v6

v10?

They could get the displacement, without the hassle of harmonics that typically go along with a larger displacement FPC V8's. There is a reason you don't see many 5L+ FPC V8's in production. Some not so good things seem to happen once you cross that threshold.

Last edited:

NametoShowOther

Established Member
v10?

They could get the displacement, without the hassle of harmonics that typically go along with a larger displacement FPC V8's. There is a reason you don't see many 5L+ FPC V8's in production. Some not so good things seem to happen once you cross that threshold.

You don't see many FPC period. Secondly how many v8's does Ferrari make over 4.5l. Usually v12. So very small sample set in which not much conclusion can be drawn

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
You don't see many FPC period. Secondly how many v8's does Ferrari make over 4.5l. Usually v12. So very small sample set in which not much conclusion can be drawn

You run into excessive vibration at the larger displacements. That is the reason why you generally don't see them above 5L.

NametoShowOther

Established Member
You run into excessive vibration at the larger displacements. That is the reason why you generally don't see them above 5L.

yes there is higher vibration inherent in the design, but there are technical solutions. The real reason you don't see this more is why make a high revving engine when you can increase displacement as well as pushrod engines have a harder time revving due to inherent issues in the pushrods handling rpm, so that take most historical North American engines out of the equation. Europeans that make FPC are few and far between and have typically made smaller displacement engines for a variety of reasons or went to v12's.

There are technical solutions to vibration. The only reason the FPC engine does not show up is the technical solutions are too expensive

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
There are technical solutions to vibration. The only reason the FPC engine does not show up is the technical solutions are too expensive

Agreed

In addition to expense, some of the solutions also end up offsetting some of the inherent advantages. I speak mostly about the addition of a balance shaft.

12C/OBoss

Established Member
Balance and NVH are not related. Ford engines are internally balanced. The damper on the front of the engine is strictly for controlling harmonics. It has nothing to do with "balance". When you come into a forum like this and say something like "GOOD LUCK balancing a FPC engine with that long of a stroke..", you will incur some push back. Nobody in the industry who knows what they are talking about would use the two terms interchangeably. They are worlds apart.

Aren't the foxbody 302's 50oz externally balanced?

tmhutch

4v>3v>2v
Established Member
Yes. I could have been more specific. Ford seemed to go back and forth over the years but settled on internal balancing for the modular family.

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
side note, there was a team that ran 2 fox bodies in DTM in the early 90's and they ran 5.0l windsors with FPCs...
[video=youtube;J47eK55kOvI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J47eK55kOvI[/video]

[video=youtube;53r2-nGQp2M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53r2-nGQp2M[/video]

[video=youtube;NWf-sjWaDss]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWf-sjWaDss[/video]

...one of the best damn sounds i've heard in my life. just wish those videos weren't such shit quality, lol

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread