Fragile Cell Phones!!! GRRRRRRRR

Chopin

Seeker of Truth
Established Member
I just got an iphone 5. It fell off my bed and the front glass shattered.

What the hell?!?!?!

If companies are going to sell us cell phones that cost as much as a computer, why can't they make them ruggidized? Why do customers have to spend another $50 to buy a case for the phone because the manufacturer wasn't smart enough to make it with one to begin with?

Is it just me, or are we all sheep for the slaughter?!

286rocks

Established Member
That's one of the reasons I picked up a Atrix HD over a HTC. Cheap plastic and gorilla glass seem to be doing the trick. It's fallen off my bunk more times than I can count (5+ft) and is still doing fine.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Youre a sheep anyways for having an iphone in the first place.

You can buy cheap thin rubber protectors off ebay for $5 shipped. People that spend $30+ on otterboxes are just as bad as the iphone sheeple

dwish

Established Member

You can buy cheap thin rubber protectors off ebay for $5 shipped. People that spend $30+ on otterboxes are just as bad as the iphone sheeple

U mad? Just because you can't afford one doesn't mean you should reply to a thread with a post that contributes absolutely nothing.

OP, you might want to buy a "$30 sheeple otterbox case" because the cost of a replacement phone is $50 for the first year (if you got AppleCare). You get two of those replacements, then you're on your own. Worst case scenario is having to buy one when you aren't upgrade eligible, they are expensive. Downside is those cases are huge. The cheap eBay cases are good for small falls/bumps.

P.S. I have dropped my 4s from around hip height literally 10x...on cement, tile, wood flooring, etc. Maybe you got unlucky? Maybe the 5 is less sturdy because it's less stout?

Last edited:

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
Electronics are inherently fragile, that's nothing new. The right circumstances and anything will break.

I dropped my iPhone 3GS flat on it's face twice without result from a standing position, it was fine. My Fiancee's MyTouch4g falls on to carpet from about 2 feet up and the face shatters. It's all in what it lands on.

It's not the manufacturers fault. Stop scapegoating and take responsibility. You dropped it and sometimes things break when you drop them.

This is also why I insure my phones, because they are expensive. I had that same 3GS that I dropped replaced under that warranty when I dropped it getting out of my car on to a rock. It was replaced and I learned to never put my phone anywhere but a cup holder or in my pocket while in a moving car.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
U mad? Just because you can't afford one doesn't mean you should reply to a thread with a post that contributes absolutely nothing.

OP, you might want to buy a "$30 sheeple otterbox case" because the cost of a replacement phone is $50 for the first year (if you got AppleCare). You get two of those replacements, then you're on your own. Worst case scenario is having to buy one when you aren't upgrade eligible, they are expensive. Downside is those cases are huge. The cheap eBay cases are good for small falls/bumps.

P.S. I have dropped my 4s from around hip height literally 10x...on cement, tile, wood flooring, etc. Maybe you got unlucky? Maybe the 5 is less sturdy because it's less stout?

Lolz I have a SGS3. Ex iphail owner here. Won't ever go back until they update their os, drop their bs lawsuits and make better phones themselves. Form factor of the 4/4s/5 is too rigid and the edges of the glass are exposed which is glass' weakest point. Inherent design flaw.

AAG

Established Member
If companies are going to sell us cell phones that cost as much as a computer, why can't they make them ruggidized?

Same thing that has come to my mind before. Out of contract pricing for a new iphone 5 is over $700 and it'll shatter if you breathe on it wrong.

SLVRBLT

Such is Life....
Established Member
I cracked the screen of my Atrix HD. The screen alone is $50 for a remanufactured, $100 OEM.

Thats not including getting it fixed.

BlueSnake01

Established Member
That's one of the reasons I picked up a Atrix HD over a HTC. Cheap plastic and gorilla glass seem to be doing the trick. It's fallen off my bunk more times than I can count (5+ft) and is still doing fine.
iPhone's have Gorilla Glass though….. The iPhone 5 has Gorilla Glass 2….
But I thought iPhone was superior to other phones for falling and taking damage?

That sucks, that's what insurance is for.
Thanks OBAMA!

Samsung MIGHT have the solution for these cracked screens, they are making flexible HD screens…. Only a matter of time till we see them in the market

SNCBOOM

Established Member
I work a very physically demanding job, I have a cheap pantech phone for that reason. I have a computer at home :shrug:

Chopin

Seeker of Truth
Established Member
Rugged cell phones aren't hard to make. They do NOT have to be fragile. Only people who LIKE being sheep believe they are fragile by their very nature.

I had a Casio Commando. Water proof, drop proof, etc. The problem was that it was a droid with the WORST excuse for a droid operating system I have ever seen. The phone would lock up and reboot itself 3 to 6 times every day! I could start spouting off all the flaws in the operating system but it would put you to sleep.

That not withstanding, I used the phone for close to 2 years. Then it died. I called Verizon and they replaced it. I was to take the chip, battery, and back and put them on the new phone, which I did. But the new phone didn't work. Turns out it was the battery and Verizon had 0 replacement batteries. WTH?!?!?!

I found one on ebay and ordered it. In the mean time, I got the iphone 5 and the "Lifeproof" case. It is supposedly ruggedized too. The only problem is that no one can hear you when the pphone is in the case. You sound like the lady at the McDonalds drive thrue. "Mummble Mubmblblee Mubbmmmmble." To use it I literally had to open the charging port, and talk into it to barely be heard!!!

Eventually I got frustrated and took the phone out of the case. And, per Murphy's Law, that's when I dropped it. GRRRRRRRR!!!!!

Apple could make a ruggidized version if they wanted to. Its off the shelf technology now.

Blown_By_You

Richard Head
Established Member
iPhone's have Gorilla Glass though….. The iPhone 5 has Gorilla Glass 2….

Thanks OBAMA!

Samsung MIGHT have the solution for these cracked screens, they are making flexible HD screens…. Only a matter of time till we see them in the market

And then Apple will sue them for making something else better than the Iphone lololololol..

**** apple

JJ1997PGSVT

Established Member
OP....I know how you feel. My Samsung fell today about 7 or 8 feet onto a concrete floor and the screen shattered. Now I'm dealing with the insurance to get my replacement phone and its been a pain. Tried to file my claim online and the website wouldn't accept my address. So I called them and they still won't accept my address, you know, the same address their bills seem to recognize. Have to get it shipped to my girlfriends house.....

TBCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
All this talk about sheeps is making me hungry!

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
they could easily make them better, they break on purpose so they can make money, simple. Once one of the companies comes up with some great bullet proof phone that will be the next fad and the other companies will be forced to follow suit. These computers are getting too expensive.

61mmstang94

Established Member

My sisters boyfriend has a job that can be rough on phones.

He has an iphone with an otterbox and that thing is the most rugged case I've seen. Works awesome and his phone looks brand new after a year having it.

Not sure why he's an idiot when he has a phone he likes with a case that keeps in in great shape.

You sound upset about this. :loser:

Users who are viewing this thread