Friday I will have my first panel interview with a large company

maple

Established Member
I will be interviewing for a position in Savannah GA with a company called Gulfstream. For those that unaware of who they are, they build executive and private jets. This will be my first panel interview so I am about to freak out. Currently, I am awaiting a list of names who I will be interviewing in front of as well as more information to be sent over from HR so I can do my research. Does anybody have any tips to help me out? In school, I always froze up reading or speaking in front of the class so it goes without saying that I am pretty terrible when it comes to job interviews.

I know a fairly decent amount about the company itself as well as the what is being required by the position and the duties with the position. Other than hearing about rubbing one out prior to the interview to calm my nerves, does anybody have any tips/useful information to give to me?

Misquamarauder

Established Member
Relax. If they didn't want you as part of their team, they wouldn't be interviewing you. Be honest, if you don't know something they ask, don't try to wing it. Wear decent clothes (suit), wash and shave before you go, use your deoderant.

Guy Fawkes

Established Member
You could break the ice by starting out with something like "I apologize if I seem nervous, because I am. Something to make them laugh and make light of your speaking issues.

maple

Established Member
Relax. If they didn't want you as part of their team, they wouldn't be interviewing you. Be honest, if you don't know something they ask, don't try to wing it. Wear decent clothes (suit), wash and shave before you go, use your deoderant.
I have a nice black suit, white button up dress shirt, and a blue tie. I'll be sure to wash the ol' taint thoroughly. :beer:
You could break the ice by starting out with something like "I apologize if I seem nervous, because I am. Something to make them laugh and make light of your speaking issues.
I thought about something similar but I didn't know if I would be alright doing something like that. This is a big chance for me and I rather not screw it up by something simple.

phillycobra99

Established Member
I had my first panel interview in January with 5 people asking the question.

I sat at one side of a tabel while they all sat at the other.

I walked in, shook everyone's hand and introduced myself to everyone.

It really wasn't bad at all, just a little different with the rapid fire questions and them all looking amongst themselves when I answered questions.

I got up, shook everyone's hand again and left.

I was offered the job soon after.

maple

Established Member
I had my first panel interview in January with 5 people asking the question.

I sat at one side of a tabel while they all sat at the other.

I walked in, shook everyone's hand and introduced myself to everyone.

It really wasn't bad at all, just a little different with the rapid fire questions and them all looking amongst themselves when I answered questions.

I got up, shook everyone's hand again and left.

I was offered the job soon after.

What types of questions did you ask them at the end? Obviously I know your questions will vary from the type I ask, I am just curious because I may incorporate a few into my questions.

Screw-Rice

I like BBC
Established Member
Challenge the biggest one to a fight to prove yourself.

I've done a few board style interviews, got an offer on everyone. Honestly it isn't that bad, and think of it as a positive. One on one style, the interviewer may not like you. However in a group your odds of impressing them are increased. When I answered a question I tried to make eye contact (briefly) with everyone as I spoke. Most people give visual ques if you're on the right track.

piss&vinegar

Seek and Destroy
Established Member
Make sure to ask questions and look them in the eyes when you answer their questions. If you don't know say you don't. Be honest and relax they liked you enough to interview you!

PDubs

Established Member
Definitely ask them questions and address them by name if you can remember during the interview. They will want to see what you're all about and if you're paying attention. If you don't know the answer directly, tell them what you have done that is similar or let them know that you're not afraid to learn something new. I had a panel interview of four interviewers at a round table, and it wasn't too bad all things considered. They are taking the time to interview you, so go in knowing that they do want you to be a part of the team, they just need to hear why.

speednutz

Established Member
They will ask you questions like: 1) Why Did You Apply For A Job Here? 2) Give examples of Where you solved a difficult Problem and how did you do it. 3) What out of work activities do you get involved in? 4) Give us an example of where you worked in a Team. 5) If we asked people about you, what would they say? 6) Why did you / Are You leaving your current/ past employment? 7) How Many Days have you been abscent from Work in the last 1 year and 3 years 8) What accomplishments in your life are you most proud of? and on and on..................

You must not be afraid to talk to them.
If you can remember their names that's good.
You must sell yourself to them but don't over do it cuz they won't take you if you are too aggressive.
Ask intelligant questions about the Company and your position.
Make sure you know about the Company because they may ask you about it.

Good Luck !

phillycobra99

Established Member
What types of questions did you ask them at the end? Obviously I know your questions will vary from the type I ask, I am just curious because I may incorporate a few into my questions.

I ask them their call volume (EMS agency)

What the room for advancement was

How they did their scheduling

What kind of training did they offer

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
Challenge the biggest one to a fight to prove yourself.

Truest post yet.

You must assert yourself as dominant male of the pride. If anyone challenges you, drop em.

Prison rules!

They will ask you questions like: 1) Why Did You Apply For A Job Here? 2) Give examples of Where you solved a difficult Problem and how did you do it. 3) What out of work activities do you get involved in? 4) Give us an example of where you worked in a Team. 5) If we asked people about you, what would they say? 6) Why did you / Are You leaving your current/ past employment? 7) How Many Days have you been abscent from Work in the last 1 year and 3 years 8) What accomplishments in your life are you most proud of? and on and on..................

You must sell yourself to them but don't over do it cuz they won't take you if you are too aggressive.

Good Luck !

This. In my line of work all of my interviews have been by committee. It can be intimidating if you're uncomfortable speaking to a group, but other than that it isn't any different than any other interview.

01Jes

Z06 bought with food stamps
Established Member

Good Luck !

Good post!

OP they may ask at the end of the interview if there's anything else you want to add or elaborate on. Make yourself shine during this part of the interview. Study, practice and no limp noodle ****** handshakes.

Good luck man:beer:

crazycarlo

Established Member
Nice OP I actually Live in Savannah and have my application being reviewed by them right now for a few positions. I know lots of people that work there here in the area. Its a good company. What position are you interviewing for? I have mine in for Avionics Tech/ Installer. Goodluck and let us know. Also hit up the local section in the forum and Ill tell ya where the hangouts are around here for cars.

tistan

Established Member
I know a quite a few people working there also. OP you have passed the hardest part. Getting them to look at your application and give you an interview is the hardest part. I don't know anyone who has gotten to the interview part that hasn't been hired.

Users who are viewing this thread