From MI thru Canada to NY

phils04gt

Established Member
Looking at potentially picking up a car in Michigan and trailering it back to NY. Looking at google maps, I can save about 2 hours each way if I can cut through Canada.

Anyone ever do this before? Not sure if trailering a car i just purchased from a private owner would create an issue. Going to do some digging but figured I ask here to see if anyone has done this before.

Thanks.

Canuck03SVT

Established Member
If you're just driving through Canada to save time I can't see any issue with towing a new car, as you're just on your way home. The 401 is a great highway. No tolls, only really gets busy around Toronto. Go for it!

HudsonFalcon

Established Member
I think you’ll be fine Phil. I’m in Saratoga and if I was planning that trip I’d cut through Canada as well. Just check local trailer laws for the area you’re passing through. Be mindful of any stupid CoViD bullshit they’re still peddling.

DAVESVT2000

Established Member
Only problem is the border crossing on each side can be hit or miss.

Hit, you’re waiting 30 minutes.

Miss, you’re waiting 2+hours

Been there done that many times.

phils04gt

Established Member
Only problem is the border crossing on each side can be hit or miss.

Hit, you’re waiting 30 minutes.

Miss, you’re waiting 2+hours

Been there done that many times.
Yikes! That 2 hour potential delay would really defeat the purpose.

Thanks for the replies.

I could avoid the entire process and have the car shipped for 700 bucks but sending a private owner a bunch of money and then hoping the car is sound is risky. Learned my lessons in the past. Although, I do have a friend about 20 minutes away from where the car is.

Don't Care
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
You'll have problems at the crossings. I'd stay in the U.S.

4rd Toys

Polishing my SVTs....
Established Member
I believe you have to provide "vacine-status" and if I read correctly, you will need to be vacinated with one from their approved list.
The only vac-exemption is driving to and from Alaska... I did not find any exemption for transit between Michigan & New York.

Canada Travel Checklist

Canada Covid Travel Assistance

Plus on your way back, you will definitely be stopped due to an unregistered vehicle on your trailer even though you are simply "transiting" due to geography & mileage.

It's a whole another country and you're an outsider in the eyes of Canadian Customs & immigration. Plus, they will try to intimidate you claiming you are owner/operator & you are in the transport business even though its your vehicles...

Maybe cross Ontario/Canada once to get there to pick up the vehicle [empty-trailer] you would be okay...

Last edited:

Uncle Meat

Zircon Encrusted Tweezers
Established Member
Years ago this would have been a smart way to save some time. Not any longer. You'll need more identification than just a US DL to get across the border too.

U.M.

4rd Toys

Polishing my SVTs....
Established Member
Years ago this would have been a smart way to save some time. Not any longer. You'll need more identification than just a US DL to get across the border too.

U.M.
OP may have the "Enhanced" Driver license...

I believe Washington-State, Michigan, New-York & Texas have this now.

The "Enhanced" Driver license will have the individual's passport information so they don't have to carry their passport when they are crossing via "land" international-entry points in Canada & Mexico.

Users who are viewing this thread