Front flip on a motorcycle

Third Honk

It's OK, I'm Handsome
Established Member
I never thought I would see a back flip much less this, I actually think he would have landed (a little hard though) had he just stayed in it

scancion

Established Member
Yep and he broke his back too. The ironic thing is that it was perfect and he just let go. He would have landed it.

m0ore4ustin391

Established Member
I don't really watch X-games but some of the stuff is crazy, and this is crazy... Jim DeChamp attemps the first FRONT flip.

Video: Attempted front flip

Haha i was watching that on the X-games this past weekend.. these guys on the dirt bikes are coming up with some crazy shit now, i never even attempted any type of flip when i was riding dirt bikes.. just didnt have the balls.. and now this :eek:

Oh, and they do like 360's and shit now as well :rockon:

Reloaded

Torque-a-licious
Established Member
Yep, pretty nuts. I wonder what happened that made him let go? It looked like he totally had that! It's so funny that the back flip has now become "run of the mill". SO CLOSE!

4fit?

Established Member
Yep, pretty nuts. I wonder what happened that made him let go? It looked like he totally had that! It's so funny that the back flip has now become "run of the mill". SO CLOSE!

He said that he felt like it was "taking too long" to complete the rotation. I reckon he felt like the ground was coming up faster than it really was. Like stated above, I also feel like he could have landed it.

Also, has it been confirmed that he broke his back? I thought that he had just compressed a couple vertebrae.

Reloaded

Torque-a-licious
Established Member
He said that he felt like it was "taking too long" to complete the rotation. I reckon he felt like the ground was coming up faster than it really was. Like stated above, I also feel like he could have landed it.

Also, has it been confirmed that he broke his back? I thought that he had just compressed a couple vertebrae.

Yeah, that was a damn hard landing. That makes sense about it seeming like he wasn't going to make it. All I know is I couldn't even imagine jumping a bike, period. Let alone flips! Haha

upside

AWD V8
Established Member
i remember when i did my first nac-nac back in the 90's i about shit my pants... lol

this stuff is getting crazy

JuNioRopolous

Whaaboooosh
Established Member
Yep and he broke his back too. The ironic thing is that it was perfect and he just let go. He would have landed it.

actually no, he wouldve landed rear tire first and all that force would be too much to handle so he wouldve been bucked off anyways, ridiculous trick to try in competition, thats whaht the mulichs compound and pastranas house are for...:nonono:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
X Games is chock full of Evil Knievel types. Gotta have big ones to even attempt something like that. Wow!

Shackleford

Established Member
Not a broken back, fractured vertebra

DeChamp suffered a fractured vertebra when he bailed out in mid-flight and landed flat on his back at the bottom of the landing ramp, Pastrana said. DeChamp lay still for a few minutes before walking off under his own power. What television viewers and those in attendance didn't see was DeChamp collapsing afterward in the athlete area.

"He said, 'Look, I've got to get up, I'm going to walk out of here,' " said Pastrana, who was by his side. "Then, he's like, 'cameras off?' I said, 'Yep,' and he just fell down and said, 'Take me to the hospital.' "

DeChamp would have completed the maneuver if he had stayed with the motorcycle, Pastrana said. However, DeChamp's inexperience at the X Games may have played a part in his indecisiveness.

"He just said it felt like everything was in slow motion, and it felt like he was in the air for eight seconds," Pastrana said. That made DeChamp feel like he was closer to the ground than he actually was, Pastrana said, and DeChamp was fearful of being crushed under the weight of his motorcycle.

"It's amazing, adrenaline slows everything down," Pastrana said.

Some thought DeChamp bailed out because he appeared to have overshot the landing ramp. In actuality, that was part of the plan, Pastrana said.

"If he landed at the bottom, he had a better chance of getting the rotation. He was perfect, but he thought he wasn't," Pastrana said.

Pastrana had the same sensation during his double back flip, only he had time between rotations to spot his landing. The front flip doesn't offer riders a sneak peak. "That second rotation was the longest second of my entire life," Pastrana said. "I can remember the crowd, I can remember everything."

Last edited:

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
Damn, Seems like yesterday Travis was trying for his first back flip...

Yup, I remember when Pastrana first attempted the backflip. It was at the end of his run in San Diego in the FMX event. Don't think there was a big air then. He went up a super steep kicker, flipped around, let go of the bike and landed on his feet. They said his mom told him she was going to ground him for life if he tried it because he was like 16 or 17 then.

Dude has some balls to try that with a 'lack of X-games experience', but he'll always be remembered for the first guy to try it in competition.

Raymond

slower than you
Established Member
Video isn't working for me, but the description did a good job for me. That's insane, dude has some balls, that's for sure.

scancion

Established Member
Not a broken back, fractured vertebra

Ummm.... Yea he broke his back. The verebra cover the spinal cord. I didnt mean that he broke his spinal cord which is obvious because he walked off the track. And a fracture is the same as a break. :banana:

scancion

Established Member
actually no, he wouldve landed rear tire first and all that force would be too much to handle so he wouldve been bucked off anyways, ridiculous trick to try in competition, thats whaht the mulichs compound and pastranas house are for...:nonono:

Ok if you think so, but its really hard to say since he didnt complete it so Im not gonna agrue :beer: I still think he would have made it. But yea its a best trick contest now and days a front flip is whats needed to win.

Shackleford

Established Member
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPtHRsM6wrk"]YouTube - Travis Pastrana try his 1st backflip in competition[/ame]

Users who are viewing this thread