FRPP tune, detonation on the dyno

old_goat

Established Member
On Dec. 26, 2012 I had he local Ford place, Tommie Vaughn do a Pro-Cal tune on my 2013 GT, manual with 3.73 gears.

Since then, no check engine lights or anything that would lead me to think that there was any problems. Since I drive a company truck I drive just a little faster during regular driving than the neighborhood little old lady. On the streets, the car rarely sees >4,000 rpm.

Today, just a little more than a week after the FRPP tune, I take my car to G-Force Pearland, a highly respected speed shop near Houston, and wanted to put the car on the dyno. Before the FRPP, the car dyno'd at 390 rwhp uncorrected and I wanted to see what the car would dyno using the same dyno-jet and almost the exact same weather.

The guys got the car strapped down and the tuner ran the car to about 4,000 and shut it down. He claimed it sounded like marbles were in the engine. I got in the car with him and he revved it up again and I heard the sound. Due to his experience, he unstrapped the car and shut it down. He took my hand held FRPP tuner and redid the tune, looking to see if there was some sort of octane setting. I run 93 Shell premium from a major gas station with a lot of traffic, which should have fresh gas, versus some 2 pump Mom and Dad gas station.

I called my man from Tommie Vaughn Ford who oversaw the tune and he stated it sounded like bad gas.

The gentleman from G-Force was a bit hesitant to buy into this, but he said it made sense

(I work in the electric industry and know zero about tuning cars. I did operate the FRPP hand held tuner and saw where to plug it in, but when it comes to tuners, I'm pretty helpless and I have to count on people I trust.)

So I called Ford Racing. The gentleman at G-Force called it detonation and Ford Racing stated (paraphrasing) something like this marble sound in the engine was normal and that the engine was learning.

G-Force wouldn't dyno the car, which was fine by me.

One of the mechanics (he was assisting with the dyno and he also heard the noise) parked the car in the parking lot, and I asked him to go for a ride with me. We found a desolated street and I ran through the gears as he instructed me and we made it to 4th gear running about 5,000 rpms and he stated he didn't hear that noise.

Now, I'm in a dilemma. I have full faith in all the mentioned folks, the folks at Tommie Vaughn, the folks at G-Force, and Ford Racing.

So I drop off the G-Force mechanic and I attend to the CEL which came on after the G-Force tuner reloaded the tune. Now, it's on me. I call Ford Racing and I'm now the man with the tuner, and thankfully they taught me how to check for codes and how to clear them. Thankfully it wasn't that hard, and I had to find out the code, and clear the code. It was a crankshaft learning code, which I finally cleared.

After leaving G-Force, about 20 minutes later, I called them and thanked them for their help. Come to find out they haven't done a dyno on a FRPP tuned car in a year or more. Perhaps a shop that did more FRPP tuned cars would have gone ahead and made the dyno run, but this was not the case.

No matter what, I appreciate G-Force playing it safe, versus going ahead and making a dyno run they were uncomfortable with doing.

Has anybody else ever run into this problem? I'm just curious to see what other have to offer about what happened to me today.

Bad gas? Bad tune? G-Force too conservative?

edit: if this is the infamous 'ping', my apologies for starting this thread. noco5.0 on this site mentioned this could be the 'ping', but Ford, G-Force, or Tommie Vaughn never called it that, and I never connected the terms until I read his post. Thanks to noco5.0 for pointing this out to me.

Last edited:

noco5.0

Established Member
Alot of info all over the internet including this forum about the Procal and the ping associated with it. I've experienced it with my 2012. I'm currently weighing my options to go with one of the aftermarket tunes due to this issue. I got the same line from Ford Racing about it being normal but am not convinced.

old_goat

Established Member
Alot of info all over the internet including this forum about the Procal and the ping associated with it. I've experienced it with my 2012. I'm currently weighing my options to go with one of the aftermarket tunes due to this issue. I got the same line from Ford Racing about it being normal but am not convinced.

Ping and detonation are the same thing.

read through this thread

Thanks guys. Trust me, I've read plenty on the 'ping', but no ping or anything was noticed until the car was on the dyno. As mentioned, I basically drive under 3500 rpms on the street, and until today, nothing has ever sounded out of normal since the tune.

Also, if someone notices the ping or detonation, they can refer to this thread to see exactly how it was noticed and what steps were taken when found.

Last edited:

squeak93

Established Member
Procal tunes are known to ping in cold weather. Ford racing will tell you its normal and the knock sensors will do their job. I drive mine in below freezing weather and never had a ping yet. Seems it's the luck of the draw.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
I.have a question for you guys running 93 octane procal tunes. Have you guys ever tried running the 91 octane tune with 93 gas to see if it still pings? I'm guessing on the 93 tune has high timming. I could be wrong thoe.

Last edited:

MikeLTDLX

Established Member
This is The Ping.

However, you said had a crank sensor code, and you cleared it? Do you mean you did a crank re-learn, or you just cleared the code? If you just cleared it, get your Pro-Cal out and do the crank sensor re-learn. A misfire from a crank sensor issue can lead to real problems.

Mike

KurtDog

Established Member
Put a can of octane booster in and fill it up. If the problem goes away its a shitty tune.

Either way, you should return the tune to stock unless you want to use octane booster on every fill up, or get a real tune.

stangs13

VTEC YO
Established Member
That sucks to hear. Are you still trying to sell the car? I live about 2 miles from g force they are good people, and are good at what they do.

old_goat

Established Member
That sucks to hear. Are you still trying to sell the car? I live about 2 miles from g force they are good people, and are good at what they do.

Yes, the car is still on the market, but it's not anything I 'have' to do, but if I'm given a check for the proper amount, I won't refuse it. My wife just has too many problems with her legs, hips, and feet to be able to drive a manual. She feels terrible about it, but it's not her fault she's had type 1 diabetes for 40 years with neuropathy. She seemed OK during a test drive, but driving a mile or so is different than daily driving, and she thought she would be OK with the manual.

About G-Force, they're stand up guys and good mechanics, but they really aren't the total 'go to' Mustang guys that I wish they were. The did the line lock, LCA, and MGW shifter install and did a great job, but I wish they had more Ford Mustang tunes under their belt, more especially a deeper knowledge of the FRPP tune.

Last edited:

ridenfish39

Established Member
About G-Force, they're stand up guys and good mechanics, but they really aren't the total 'go to' Mustang guys that I wish they were. The did the line lock, LCA, and MGW shifter install and did a great job, but I wish they had more Ford Mustang tunes under their belt, more especially a deeper knowledge of the FRPP tune.
I wouldn't fault them about the tune. It's not a custom but rather a ''canned'' tune. They can't adjust timing, a/f etc with it. Every car is a bit different, and that's why some ping with it and others don't. The blame for this should be put on Ford Racing and their refusal to acknowledge the problems and help people out. They just call it ''catalytic impingement'' :dw: LOL
It's odd to me that every vendor and tuner has a presence on all the forums EXCEPT Ford Racing. For those of us that it works for it is a great tune that gives you a bit of piece of mind with a warranty. If they would work on it a bit, and even sell tunes that account for other mods, they would sell a lot of them.

squeak93

Established Member
I run 91 on my Procal tune quite often. I don't even turn the octane adjust on. Never had Any ping issue.My only complaint about the Procal is the auto shift points.

5lho

Established Member
Procal is NOT a 93 octane tune. it's a 91 street tune and should only be compared to other 91 octane street tunes.

You have to do a crank sensor relearn on this car. It's 5 minutes work with the Procal tool. I do this relearn a couple times a year so far and it seems to help. You are also strongly recommended to use only real 91+ octane fuel with this. Not blended shit, not E10 if you can avoid it.

There is a strong timing bump in this tune and that's what makes it great for the street. It does push it pretty close to det, though, if the ducks aren't in a row. The noise you are hearing is straight up spark knock, whatever anybody says. If the rattle is momentary upon shifting or tip-in and goes away, no big deal but, if it continues through the gear pull, that's bad.

squeak93

Established Member
In Mo we are state mandated 10% blend and i have no issues but i stick with quality brand gas.

MikeLTDLX

Established Member
I ran 93 in mine. 93 no ethanol and a can of Lucas octane booster. And, it still pinged. I am glad it pinged, because that led me to Shaun and a real tune.

squeak93

Established Member
Aed tunes are in my future but until then I'm happy with my Procal experience.

Deranged2013

Established Member
I've had good luck with the Procal so far. No pings or knocks and a good bump in performance, but I find myself wanting more, and the more I read about AED and all the good reviews, the more I want to ditch the procal and get an AED tune. If I do this, I'm going to do it with a Roush TVS 2.3 SC and an O/R X pipe all at once. Trying to be patient but I wake up everyday wanting a supercharged, AED tuned 5.0 sitting in the garrage, more and more each day.

stangs13

VTEC YO
Established Member
Yes, the car is still on the market, but it's not anything I 'have' to do, but if I'm given a check for the proper amount, I won't refuse it. My wife just has too many problems with her legs, hips, and feet to be able to drive a manual. She feels terrible about it, but it's not her fault she's had type 1 diabetes for 40 years with neuropathy. She seemed OK during a test drive, but driving a mile or so is different than daily driving, and she thought she would be OK with the manual.

They specialize in gm products yes, but they have had some mean mustangs and Shelby's come out of their. A particular 2011 gt in. Blaze yellow has a dunk tune from them that put down some impressive numbers for the few mods they said it had.

Users who are viewing this thread