FRPP tune, detonation on the dyno

five0three

big deal
Established Member
Im suprised the knock sensors were letting it get bad enough to hear without limping the car or throwing a code. Also weird that it only happened on the dyno.

old_goat

Established Member
Today I ran the car pretty hard, up to 6500 rpm's before shifting and didn't hear a thing. Same gas, minus a few gallons from the other day.

I'm not going to worry about it, if it fries, it fries, and I'll get another brand new engine, compliments of FRPP.

whatsa347

Established Member
Robert knows his stuff when it comes to mustangs and mike knows how to tune them, but I do agree, they were so good with my camaro I would trust them with my mustang, wish they worked on 03-04 cobras.

04nccobra

Established Member
I just ordered the FORD RACING 2011-2013 MUSTANG GT POWER UPGRADE PACK -- M-FR1-MGTB, for my 2012. I wanted a little bit more performance, and a little better sound while maintaining the factory warranty. Am I going to have an issue with the tune supplied?

squeak93

Established Member
Most don't have an issue. Just be sure to have your local Ford dealer install and fax the paperwork to Ford racing for the warranty.

old_goat

Established Member
They specialize in gm products yes, but they have had some mean mustangs and Shelby's come out of their. A particular 2011 gt in. Blaze yellow has a dunk tune from them that put down some impressive numbers for the few mods they said it had.

Robert knows his stuff when it comes to mustangs and mike knows how to tune them, but I do agree, they were so good with my camaro I would trust them with my mustang, wish they worked on 03-04 cobras.

I think the world of Mike @ G-Force and here's why. I had a Pontiac G8 GXP and one night I was at Houston Raceway and Patrick G was there. Patrick G has a grade A rep with GM products and he did a quick tune at the track. After his tune, I immediately dropped about .45 off my quarter mile time. He did this for free. Now (before Patrick G did the tune) I had thought about taking my car to G-Force, 30 minutes away versus Patrick G being about 2.5 hours away in Victoria, but Patrick G did the quicky tune and I really wanted him and Kurt to do my mods, which were a 3200 stall, ARH long tubes, and a full bore dyno tune.

Mike knew I had taken my car to Patrick G, but he seemed cool about it. The first night at the track, the car developed a bit of a problem, and since Mike was there I asked him about it. He didn't know what it could be, but Mike put his laptop in my car and told me to make a run so he could log it. After he got the results, he emailed them to Patrick G could see what happened. Mike didn't have to do this, but he's a stand up guy and he took care of me. I don't forget stuff like that.

By the way, when Patrick G had my car, it had the stock 19" wheels on the rear, but when I go to the track I put on 17" drag radials. Apparently when wheel sizes are changed, the tune needs tweaking a bit, which he did when he came to Houston the next weekend. I didn't know this was important and I should've told Patrick G that I changed to 17" wheels, but I didn't.

I just ordered the FORD RACING 2011-2013 MUSTANG GT POWER UPGRADE PACK -- M-FR1-MGTB, for my 2012. I wanted a little bit more performance, and a little better sound while maintaining the factory warranty. Am I going to have an issue with the tune supplied?

You will hear many opinions, but even though I started this thread, I would say you'll be OK. I'm not concerned, if the engine fries, FRPP will ship me a new one.

04nccobra

Established Member
I think the world of Mike @ G-Force and here's why. I had a Pontiac G8 GXP and one night I was at Houston Raceway and Patrick G was there. Patrick G has a grade A rep with GM products and he did a quick tune at the track. After his tune, I immediately dropped about .45 off my quarter mile time. He did this for free. Now (before Patrick G did the tune) I had thought about taking my car to G-Force, 30 minutes away versus Patrick G being about 2.5 hours away in Victoria, but Patrick G did the quicky tune and I really wanted him and Kurt to do my mods, which were a 3200 stall, ARH long tubes, and a full bore dyno tune.

Mike knew I had taken my car to Patrick G, but he seemed cool about it. The first night at the track, the car developed a bit of a problem, and since Mike was there I asked him about it. He didn't know what it could be, but Mike put his laptop in my car and told me to make a run so he could log it. After he got the results, he emailed them to Patrick G could see what happened. Mike didn't have to do this, but he's a stand up guy and he took care of me. I don't forget stuff like that.

By the way, when Patrick G had my car, it had the stock 19" wheels on the rear, but when I go to the track I put on 17" drag radials. Apparently when wheel sizes are changed, the tune needs tweaking a bit, which he did when he came to Houston the next weekend. I didn't know this was important and I should've told Patrick G that I changed to 17" wheels, but I didn't.

You will hear many opinions, but even though I started this thread, I would say you'll be OK. I'm not concerned, if the engine fries, FRPP will ship me a new one.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well the reason I went with this package is I absolutely do not want issues in regards to warranty with a tune, I'm willing to give up a little power vs other tunes. I haven't gotten my kit in yet, but is it mandatory that a Ford Dealer install, to maintain warranty?

hypersynchrony

I joined just to add to this. Found this thread after a google search.

Ran my car on a dynojet May 2012 and got 389 hp.

Did the FRPP Procal tune Sept 2012.

Ran my car again last Saturday and again got 389.

The guy running the dyno said he heard spark knock on the first run. I did not hear anything from inside the car and have never heard knock since ive had the car. So.. I ran it again... and again he said he heard spark knock.

A guy at the show took video of my runs.. and, sure enough, not only can you hear the spark knock, but you see two puffs of smoke!

I swear that for some reason, you can not hear this from inside! The problem occurred twice per run right after 5000 rpm.. around the 110 mph range.

Ive run nothing but 93 octane in this car from day one. The FRPP tune is supposed to be rated for 91 octane. Based on my experience, I wouldnt trust what you can hear from inside the car...and I wouldnt trust this tune as being safe. The fact that I made the same hp before and after the tune, and the before run was like 90 degrees w/ 60 percent humidity.. and the FRPP tune was 75 degrees and dry as a bone.. its just not worth the $$$.

This is the video from the second run.. at around 15 seconds and 18 seconds you will hear the knock and see smoke:

2011 5.0 Mustang Dyno Run - YouTube

Users who are viewing this thread