Frying Pan Into the Fire -- Chip Shortage

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
  • North American retail sales for Polaris are down 28% in the past quarter because of a lack of supply. “We’re doing everything we can to make as many units as we can because we know customer demand is out there,” commented CFO Bob Mack.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
I hopped onto cars.com for fun looking for F-150's. Holy cow, what a desolate wasteland!

I see my local Ford dealer is offering extra's if you order a truck.

Being a dealer GM has had to have just sucked ass the last 1+ year.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
I hopped onto cars.com for fun looking for F-150's. Holy cow, what a desolate wasteland!

I see my local Ford dealer is offering extra's if you order a truck.

Being a dealer GM has had to have just sucked ass the last 1+ year.

You'd think so, but my wife just landed director hr role at a large socal dealership group and they're killing it.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Was told the other day by my boss that we have a 100-120 day wait on computers ordered to spec

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Micron CFO discusses continuing supply chain shortages as semi stocks pull back
  • Micron (NASDAQ:MU) Chief Financial Officer Dave Zinsner says the second half of 2021 will include strong demand from cloud and enterprise customers, recovering in the industrial and automotive markets and continuing supply chain constraints.
  • Zinsner gave his assessment of Micron's (MU) business during a fireside chat at the KeyBanc Capital Markets Technology Leadership Forum on Tuesday. Zinsner said inventories remain very low, with the company expecting to exit the current quarter with the lowest days of inventory that it has seen in "some time." Zinsner said the imbalance is more on the supplier side than the healthier customer side of the equation.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
Well, we at Lam Research just opened another factory to make the machines that make the chips. The new one's 800,000 square feet.

The real question is do the machines that make the chips use the chips to operate?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fat Boss

Established Member
The real question is do the machines that make the chips use the chips to operate?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They do, but surprisingly few and they're not leading edge by any stretch. The real magic is in the reaction chamber design and chemistry/gas delivery.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Empty car lots might be around for a while.

Evidence gathers of extended chip shortage with lead times up in July
  • The gap between ordering semiconductors and receiving that order increased more than a week in July due to ongoing supply chain constraints, according to Susquehanna data.
  • Chip lead times in June were already at the longest levels in the four years Susquehanna has tracked the data before increasing over eight more days to 20.2 weeks last month.
  • Lead times for microcontrollers commonly used in automotive and industrial applications reached 26.5 weeks compared to the historical average of 6 to 9 weeks. Auto chip stocks include NXP Semiconductors (NXPI -0.9%), ON Semi (ON -0.5%) and STMicroelectronics (STM -0.3%) and most of the industry has a dependence on foundry giant TSMC (TSM -0.3%).
  • Power management chips, semiconductors most closely associated with smartphones, swam upstream and decreased lead times during the period.
  • The continuing supply chain constraints started when the pandemic swiftly shifted demand, sending consumer electronics like game consoles and notebooks to new heights while automotive sales plummeted. Automakers cut semiconductor orders to save money and the foundries making the chips gave that capacity to other customers. When the auto industry recovered faster than expected, automakers couldn't quickly regain foundry space.
  • The shortage was worsened by weather-related power outages at chipmakers Samsung, Infineon and NXP Semiconductors and a facility fire at Japanese auto chip giant Renesas.
  • Chip shortages spread out to the consumer electronics space. During the recent earnings report, Apple CEO Tim Cook warned component shortages would impact iPhone sales in the current quarter.
  • Intel Chief Executive Pat Gelsinger has warned that the chip shortage would get worse in the second half of 2021 and that supplies won't normalize for another year or two.
  • Yesterday, the chief financial officer of foundry giant Micron said the company would leave the current quarter with historically low days of inventory.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Ford delays Mustang Mach-E orders due to semiconductor chip shortages
  • Ford Motor Company (F -0.2%) will delay Mustang Mach-E vehicle orders a minimum of six week, blaming the global semiconductor chip shortages. "Once your vehicle receives the required chip, your vehicle status will be updated, and you’ll receive an email with an estimated week of delivery," wrote Ford in an email to customers.
  • To compensate future owners, the company will provide 250kWh (approximately 700 miles) of complimentary charging to those affected.
  • Mustang Mach-E cars have been delayed previously after Ford held back about 4,500 cars in March for quality checks.
  • The semiconductor chip shortage is affecting production lines, particularly those for electric vehicles which typically require more chips. Used car prices have been increasing as nearly-completed new cars sit in lots waiting for their chips.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Tesla chief Elon Musk reiterated that the company is still facing "extreme supply chain limitations" due to computer chip shortages brought on by the COVID-19 pandemic.
"As publicly disclosed, we are operating under extreme supply chain limitations regarding certain "standard" automotive chips," Musk tweeted Thursday. "Most problematic by far are Renesas & Bosch."

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Nissan to halt operations at the U.S. factory due to chip shortage
  • Japanese automaker, Nissan Motor (OTCPK:NSANY) will halt operations at an assembly plant in the U.S. due chip supply shortage from rising COVID-19 cases in Malaysia - Nikkei.
  • Nissan has adjusted July production at several factories in Japan due to the global chip shortage.
  • The automaker has previously said the shortage of chip will impact the production of 500K vehicles this year.
  • The company has also halted production for seven days in June at it's CIVAC plant in Morelos.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Bronco's waiting in line for their chip ration.

882765.jpg

The Detroit Free Press is reporting that Ford has received a new batch of chips that will allow it to ship thousands of Ford F-Series pickups to eager customers.

2021-Ford-Super-Duty-F-450-Limited-Exterior-002-Front-Three-Quarters-1024x683.jpg

“We’re working to get chips into F-Series pickups and get them out to dealers,” Erich Merkle, U.S. sales analyst at Ford, told the Free Press. “That’s our first priority. We’ll see our inventories improve. It’ll take time but stock will gradually start to improve the second half of the year. Merkle added that the automaker’s inventory is at “record lows,” which “is having a near-term impact on our sales.”

As Ford Authority reported recently, Ford doesn’t expect dealers to receive “meaningful” amounts of inventory until August, though Merkle noted that inventory levels may not return to normal until 2022. These shortages have had a major impact on the automaker’s sales, which decreased 27 percent in June, as Ford Authority reported earlier today.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member

Ford cuts F-150 pickup production because of chip shortage​

Aug. 26, 2021 3:51 PM ETFord Motor Company (F)By: Lucas Heilman, SA News Editor53 Comments

2020 Ford F-150 Raptor
shaunl/iStock Unreleased via Getty Images

• Ford Motor (F -2.5%) continues to slash production of its F-150 pickup truck due to the ongoing shortage of semiconductor chips.
  • The company reported that its Kansas City plant that manufactures the F-150 will continue to be shut down during the week of Aug 30 and it will only operate one of three shifts at its Dearborn, MI plant.
  • The Ford plant in Oakville, Canada that assembles the Ford Edge and Lincoln Nautilus crossovers will also close temporarily.
  • Ford lost roughly half of its planned production in its second quarter due to the semiconductor chip shortage. According to consulting firm AlixPartners, the deficit will lower automotive industry revenues by $110 billion.
  • Production cuts could be commonplace for the next year as the CEO of chipmaker STMicro estimates that the shortage will end in early 2023. Other car companies like Toyota (TM -1.4%) have had to lower production forecasts as the shortage continues.

BOOGIE MAN

Logic and Reason
Established Member
Yet they're doubling down on EV production, makes sense

"Nothing makes me question ALL of my life decisions like SVTP."

Posts and likes are not mine.

Users who are viewing this thread