Fuel Odor after fore fuel system install

MelloStang2010

Established Member
I know people have had this issue after installing the fuel system but I'm curious if anyone found a fix for it or way to at least control it. I got my system with the teflon lines because beefcake said the starlite lines reek but my system reeks, bad. Its as if I'm driving a 800hp rolling gas chamber. The odor is only bad inside the car and cant really smell it on the outside of the car at all. I'm guessing the odor is coming from the fuel hat area so I'm curious if anyone has had the same issue with their fuel systems and has found a way to at least block the odor from the interior to a degree. A slight odor would be fine and that wouldn't bother me but this is overwhelmingly strong even to me and I like the smell of fuel so I don't even want to have normal people in the car. Was kinda hoping I could cover the fuel hat assemly area with something to block the odor from coming into the cabin because I don't really want to replace all of the fuel lines again at the moment

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
I'd make sure you don't have a leak at the pump hat and that your rubber seal for the access portal for the fuel pump was installed correctly. I'd also check to make sure the hose ends were installed correctly. If that checks out, you might want to shop for better lines from the pump to the next connector. Same goes for the return line. What brand of hoses are you using?

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
^^^ what he said

I would also go ahead and check every fitting at the little pin on the fitting. I caught hell with Fragola stuff leaking there on mine (sent all my stuff back, they leak checked it and replaced it all)

MelloStang2010

Established Member
They are the teflon braided lines which shouldn't have an odor. I have yet to find any fuel leaks or atleast the fuel hasn't made it to the ground. I'm going to pop the back seats out this weekend and take a look and the fittings. it's definitely related to the fuel hat area because I cant smell any fuel but as soon as you get in it its obvious.

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
You may need to have the car running when you check for leaks unless you're sure your fuel system holds pressure once the engine is off.

oldstv

Established Member
Premium Member
PLEASE report back your findings. I have been living with this since my system went in and have found nothing.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
my leaks were small enough Im not sure they would ever hit the ground where youd notice. I took a paper towel and put it against those pins and you'd see it soak up some fuel

MG0h3

Established Member
Ya shouldn’t be the lines. You didn’t remove the evap or disable it did you? No CEL on?

I found that during tuning the evap was inop and I was getting a lot of fuel odor. Cleared right up once we finished.

I’d also double check around the filler neck and hat gasket but you’d have to drop the tank for that.

And you can access the fittings by pulling the back seat?

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

MelloStang2010

Established Member
Ya shouldn’t be the lines. You didn’t remove the evap or disable it did you? No CEL on?

I found that during tuning the evap was inop and I was getting a lot of fuel odor. Cleared right up once we finished.

I’d also double check around the filler neck and hat gasket but you’d have to drop the tank for that.

And you can access the fittings by pulling the back seat?

yeah i dont have any lights or anything and lund finished up my 91 and e85 tunes early this week. Im more thinking that maybe the fitting is loose as the line connects into the fuel hat itself which you can see from the trunk. The odor is so strong its like gas was spilled in your lap. I may also try to find a way to "seal" off the fuel hat assembly under the seat some how with something that wont let the fumes and odor permeate into the cabin. I could care less if the outside smells but right now its like huffing rubber cement on the inside lol.

RBB

Established Member
I was going to ask if you got the starlite lines, but if you've got the teflon lines from Fore then you should have no smell. I'm running the same kit from the same vendor and no gas smell to speak of. You've definitely got a leak, park that thing until you find it. If it's that bad in the cabin then it has to be coming from somewhere around the hat, possibly your connections are loose as you suggested.

MG0h3

Established Member
Get back with them and make sure they didn’t disable your evap or something.

And it sounds like you can access the hat from the seat? So you never dropped the tank?

MelloStang2010

Established Member
Get back with them and make sure they didn’t disable your evap or something.

And it sounds like you can access the hat from the seat? So you never dropped the tank?

Nope, we installed the fuel hat assembly from inside the car then ran the lines.

fullboogie

Established Member
I run Russell Proclassic in another vehicle and definitely get a fuel smell. It's common with non-teflon hoses. It's just weepage that you'll never find, unless you actually have a dripping leak somewhere. As far as I know, the use of Earl's teflon hose requires the use of their fittings only, and I'm not about to replumb my entire setup just to use their lines. So I deal with the smell.

MelloStang2010

Established Member
Well I found out the rubber grommet for the fuel hat wires wasn't put back in. I pulled the main cover off to the fuel hat and checked the lines. Just from backing the car out of the garage there was a small amount of fuel on top of the hat so I wiped it up and tightened the fuel lines again, one of which was a little loose. I had to cut he grommet in half to get it around the new wires from fuel hat to the controller wire connectors but super glued it back together and wrapped it up with electrical tape. I need to let the car air out and then sit for a bit before ill be able to see if I can notice a change at all in the strength of the odor.

MelloStang2010

Established Member
Alright I got an update for anyone following this thread.

Drove the car to work today and it was a 1000x better. No noticeable fuel odor at all while driving or sitting at a light and I still haven't put the rear seat back in yet. I suspect it was that loose fitting for the line that was leaking fuel that was the culprit plus the combo of that rubber grommet missing. So anyone that is having these issues with the teflon lines I would check those two things cause it seems to have fixed it for me.

Users who are viewing this thread