Fuel Pump for 98 Cobra - Please Educate Me

Mustang Matt

Established Member
I did a lot of research on this topic and ended up getting a glenn's performance setup after giving up hope of doing something internal that would support 600+ hp.

However, after pulling my 98 tank, the hat sure looks a LOT like the 03 cobra hat. I'm not completely convinced that you couldn't fit dual pumps in the 98 tank although people have said it's not possible.

98KBCobraVert

Not a KB anymore!
Established Member
I did a lot of research on this topic and ended up getting a glenn's performance setup after giving up hope of doing something internal that would support 600+ hp.

However, after pulling my 98 tank, the hat sure looks a LOT like the 03 cobra hat. I'm not completely convinced that you couldn't fit dual pumps in the 98 tank although people have said it's not possible.

if you looked inside at the baffle in a 03/04 tank you would see the differance. There is no baffle in the 98's so slosh would be horrible.

DoomsDay

Slayer of Gods...
Established Member
if you looked inside at the baffle in a 03/04 tank you would see the differance. There is no baffle in the 98's so slosh would be horrible.

+1

The reason that the 03/04 cobra hat looks similar to the 98....its because it sorta is. The 98 is the bastard child of the fuel setups thats the crossover year from the 96-97 style to the newer 99/01 ish style.

The tanks themselves are different too as when i contacted Glenns performance about my setup there are 2 different tanks that come on the 98's, the most obvious external difference is in the evap stuff

98 N/A 4V

Established Member
I guess I don't understand the difference between the basket and the baffle

Matt, the basket houses the pump and fuel surrounds it (like an island in the ocean). The baffles are plates inside the tank that prohibit the gas from sloshing around. Think of a rat maze (minus the rat) then fill it with gas. The gas can't slosh around because of the walls (aka baffles). Probably a bad analogy but its the only thing I can think of right now. lol. But instead of the pump sitting in a basket in the baffle tank it just sits in there kinda like the 96-97 tanks that just have the pump sit at the bottom. Hope this helps.

oh btw, you don't have any pics of your 98 tank when you took it apart do you? Mainly the hat? I found a few pics on the net of an 03 hat and I'm curious to see how close it is.

-Mark

Mustang Matt

Established Member
Ah makes perfect sense. Now that you say that I knew this at one point but had completely forgotten.

So are the baskets the same at least?

The tank is all apart I can grab some pics. From what I remember, the hat looks identical in size/bolt pattern. My car isn't at my house so I probably won't get to them until the weekend.

viperbluelx

Sexton's Performance
Established Member
impossible........ The 255 walbro is almost 1/4" taller than the stock pump and will not allow the fuel-basket lid to seal causing the pump to starve.... I tried using the Walbro, and trimming the basket and had nothing but issues..... I just purchased a new fuel basket and went with the aviator pump and everything has been great for two years.

DA snake boy!!!!

Sorry to bring up this old thread, but I'm working on the 98 fuel system and I'm wondering how the fuel basket lid not sealing could cause the fuel pump to starve? Doesn't the pump feed from the bottom where the strainer is? and as long as the sock is submersed in fuel it should be find, right?

deadernie

is my name
Established Member
I ask for a 2005 Linclon Aviator fuel pump. This should be the part #
3C5Z-9H307-CA
found this fourm after my fuel pump died. Read that the Aviator pump was supposed to be cheaper than the 98 Cobra pump. But everyplace I call to ask for an Aviator pump they tell me it's $400 plus!! Am I asking for the wrong pump? (2005 avaitor)

deadernie

is my name
Established Member
Thanks for all the help. I guess being impatient has a price. Just thought it was weird that I was getting quoted more for the Aviator pump than the actual 98 cobra pump. Ordered the SVT Focus pump which will be good enough for me now. Picking it up this morning after work. Haven't been able to drive the car since last July and finally I am able to and it wouldn't start! Talk about frustrating.

BITDIFFERENTSVT

Established Member
The 98 cobra is the bastard child in the fuel department. A transition year between return style and returnless. They are still return style but unlike the 96-97 cobras the 98's have a basket that the pump sits in. The aviator pump is a direct drop in but that is a 270 pump so there has been cases where it sucked the basket dry and can burn up the pump. Some guys have drilled numerous holes in the basket to avoid being sucked dry. Another precaution is just to keep at least a 1/2 tank of fuel in it to make sure when the fuel sloshes around the pick up is still submerged since the 98 tanks do not have baffles. A Walbro 255 pump will not fit in the basket without modification. With just the aviator pump alone that should be good up until 450ish to the tire. Hope this helps. -Mark
How many holes? Pics? Ok to drill with gas in the tank?

harvboi05

Established Member
How many holes? Pics? Ok to drill with gas in the tank?

drilling holes in the stock fuel pump hat will render the OEM baffle system useless. if you cut any holes in the hat, you might as well literally cut the entire bottom out.

hes talking about drilling holes in the pump basket that can be removed from the tank, it houses the fuel pump as seen here:
100_1095.JPG

i just cut out the bottom trying to get twin Gt pumps in the stock basket, but gave up and bought a fore hat:
100_1098.JPG

100_1101.JPG

100_1104.JPG

this is what needs to be removed if youre installing an 03/04 cobra hat, or fore hat into a 98 and newer tank. its tack welded to the bottom of the tank and holds the stock pump hat to the tank. this is also where if you were to look in an 03/04 cobra tank youd see the baffles everyone is talking about:
100_1096.JPG

here you can see why that pump holder needs to be removed. this is a 98 tank with a fore hat. i am running twin GT pumps. ive run it down pretty low but never launched hard below 1/2 a tank. i bought an 03/04 tank and will post pictures of the baffle asap.
000_0096.JPG

Last edited:

StacyStangz

"Supercharged Stacy" - PR
Established Member
100_1101.JPG

100_1104.JPG

this is what needs to be removed if youre installing an 03/04 cobra hat, or fore hat into a 98 and newer tank. its tack welded to the bottom of the tank and holds the stock pump hat to the tank. this is also where if you were to look in an 03/04 cobra tank youd see the baffles everyone is talking about:
100_1096.JPG

here you can see why that pump holder needs to be removed. this is a 98 tank with a fore hat. i am running twin GT pumps. ive run it down pretty low but never launched hard below 1/2 a tank. i bought an 03/04 tank and will post pictures of the baffle asap.
000_0096.JPG

Sweet pics!

As long as its the '1998 in a half' Cobra, the Fore Fuel Hat will bolt right in...
You also have the option of buying a 99-04 fuel tank (which will bolt right in to the 94-98s) and use the Fore Fuel Hat as well.....
:rockon:

harvboi05

Established Member

Sweet pics!

As long as its the '1998 in a half' Cobra, the Fore Fuel Hat will bolt right in...
You also have the option of buying a 99-04 fuel tank (which will bolt right in to the 94-98s) and use the Fore Fuel Hat as well.....
:rockon:

buying a 99-04 tank will still require the tack welded pump holder to be removed, leaving you with an open tank and no baffle assembly.

i looked forever for info regarding this pump swap stuff and found nothing, i was determined to take pictures of everything!

here is the inside of my yet installed 03/04 tank, sorry for the poop quality but it was the best i could do. its just 4 sides inside the tank and the only thing letting fuel pass between the two is that ~3/8" pipe that loops around:
IMAG0442.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread