Fuel Pump for 98 Cobra - Please Educate Me

collincastaneda

Established Member
Good info here! So if I have a regulator on my fuel rail, that means I have a returnless system, correct? Then all I will need is to perforate the basket and plug in the aviator pump?

Also, I saw talk about the aviator pump being a 270. Is this true? I was under the impression that the aviator pump was a 310.

At any rate, just triple checking that the aviator pump will in fact work for my setup.

04DeadShort

SVT Addict
Established Member
If you have a 98, your fuel rails are a return style setup. The fuel pump itself is variable speed which is in the newer return-less cars. Basically the the fuel pump doesn't have 12v going to it all the time. I have around $270 for my Aviator pump. They may have went up. The Aviator is plug and play.

Cobra52898

Muscle/Performance car junkie
Established Member
The 98 Cobra uses a 2 speed fuel pump which is controlled by the EEC computer. It runs at low speed up to 3300 RPM when the EEC enables it to run in high speed, then when the air mass as measured by the MAF reaches a predetermined setpoint the pump runs in high speed. When the RPM's fall back down to 3250 it switches back to low speed. Unlike the 99 and up it doesn't use pulse width modulation (PWM) to control the speed instead it uses a resistor. In low speed 12 volts is supplied to the resister where it is reduced to something less. In high speed a relay closes bypassing the resister to supply the full 12 volts to the pump. The pump also runs in high speed for a few seconds when you first turn on the ignition to ensure the fuel system is primed and up to pressure when the car is started.
I saw an ad for Walbro that indicated they finally released a pump in 2011 that is compatible with 98 through 2004 Cobra's. That my $0.02.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread