Full workup on the COBRA this weekend.

MikesCobra

Established Member
This weekend I decided that it was time to re-clay the COBRA.

She got a full workup:

Strip'd using Dawn

Fully clay'd using Meg's medium clay W/chemical guys quick detailer

Spot polished here and there with meg's 205 and black hex logic pad

Sealed with Chemical Guys Jetseal109 (1 layer)

LSP'd with Dodo Juice Orange Crush (made for reds, yellows and Oranges, 1 layer)

To date that I have owned this car, this was the most stunning result/combo I have seen. Dare I say even more then the Chemical Guys Blacklight? .... I think Jetseal really made it pop. Sorry for definition quality, I saw the reflections and only had my iPhone with me

IMG_5840_zpsefd3ae8b.jpg

BMR Tech

That is just awesome! I wish I would have done something like this with my TR '04.

Just a quick question, or two.

What do you mean by "stripped with Dawn" ?

Also, when you say you clay barred w/ chemical guys detailer....is that the best way to clay bar the car? As in, spray the detailer onto the paint, then use the clay? I always thought you clayed the car while washing it with soapy water?

Thanks!!!

MikesCobra

Established Member
That is just awesome! I wish I would have done something like this with my TR '04.

Just a quick question, or two.

What do you mean by "stripped with Dawn" ?

Also, when you say you clay barred w/ chemical guys detailer....is that the best way to clay bar the car? As in, spray the detailer onto the paint, then use the clay? I always thought you clayed the car while washing it with soapy water?

Thanks!!!

All great questions:

When you wash your car on a daily or weekly basis, you want to use the best car shampoo money can buy. Go to chemical guys.com and pick up one of the many they carry. The reason why you never want to use an over the counter store bought soap is they are lacking a special ingredient or have a veryyyy small amount. These boutique products from chemicalguys.com or many other online distributors contain huge amounts of surface lubricants that suspend the dirt grime and grit (which scratch your paint and cause swirl marks) and safely remove them as you wash the car.

The term "STRIP"- Over the course of time in between a FULL detail, (as I did) and your typical quick wash and wax's, the car will look good, but not at its best due to old wax, wax build up etc. BEFORE you do a FRESH, FULL detail, maybe once a month to every three months you want to STRIP that old wax and sealant OFF OF THE PAINT. This gives you a pristine, fresh surface with no old hazy wax, ready to reicieve and properly bond to the NEW and often times expensive wax or sealant (in my case in the pic above BOTH) that you're going to apply.

The end result renders the best possible shine and protection for your paint.

NEVERRRRRRRR clay bar your car with soap water. EVER. You will enduce swirl marks and marring into your clear coat that you'll then have to polish out... creating more work for yourself.. and its a vicious never ending cycle.

Always use the spray the clay bar comes with (clay bar lubricant) or a lot of weekend enthusiasts like myself and pro detailers, also substitute with a GOOD quality boutique quick detailer, this is because both the clay lubricant and quick detailer are filled with lubricants to protect your surface.

Last edited:

BMR Tech

Awesome, thanks for the info. I am definitely lacking in the detailing dept. I spend too much time gaining knowledge on the performance aspect, lol

So, when you say strip....the Dawn strips the wax off when using it to wash? That's the only part I am not full comprehending.

Thanks again!

MikesCobra

Established Member
Yep the Dawn has good stripping properties used to clean plates, that is efficient in removing all the old wax.

Feel free to ask anytime brother, were all one big community.

getTwisted

I Remember My First Beer.
Established Member
How much Dawn do you use? I'm guessing you dilute it a lot?

oldmodman

Established Member
Great result!

I just love standing back and looking at my Cobra after doing a full day detail on it. That shine just says it all.

VNMUS03

Established Member
I remember when my cobra shined like that.. I have some water marks I'm hoping to remove.. I'm looking to lightly compound polish and wax. Clay bar prior to all that.. Any tips.. I'm hoping its bit water etching so I have my fingers crossed.

VNMUS03

Established Member
The main reason I want to do all that is the swirls.. Transmission shop washed my car prior to returning it and literally Fd up my paint.. It went from looking like your finish to just something terrible.. It bothers me every day. Lol

Users who are viewing this thread