"Fun" car <$25,000 (used)...???

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
Not to hijack the thread but elaborate are they discontinued and hard to get the parts? Or they have to be imported?

Long discontinued and no one makes reproduction parts so you are stuck buying junkyard crap, many times import stuff that's way overpriced. I was into Nissans, but I've heard it's the same with Toyota's. There's just a different mentality over there, Nissan doesn't want their old cars on the road, they want them scrapped.

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
Long discontinued and no one makes reproduction parts so you are stuck buying junkyard crap, many times import stuff that's way overpriced. I was into Nissans, but I've heard it's the same with Toyota's. There's just a different mentality over there, Nissan doesn't want their old cars on the road, they want them scrapped.

Gotcha thanks for the info. I figured there would be at least repop parts.

Brutal Metal

Established Member

I had a friend just rebuild his 90's supra motor, there's lots of high performance stuff for the internals like Carillo Rods, but your gonna spend some money to make the power he made (north of 900). He bought all the top notch axles,bushings etc.. and grenaded the rear end on the first couple street launches, he's switching to SRA. Supra's have Amazing resale value, $30K+ isn't out of the realm for a low mile turbo. Not many cars from this era can command that kind of cash for unmolested examples.

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member

Can't he just put it on his tab at Harry's?

Sirraf

Established Member
I'm in the market for another vehicle for myself. I've owned trucks, sedans, sports cars and SUVs. I daily drive a F-150 and my wife is now driving an Escalade so I'm more inclined to buy a sport sedan or 2 door sports car. I've owned 03/04 Cobras, C5Z's and many foxbody mustangs. I always find myself searching for those same three cars along with WS6 Trans Ams. Can you guys open my eyes to anything I might be missing in the <$25k (used) category? The only imports that I've owned have been the Lexus LS and GS's and I've thoroughly enjoyed those cars.

One caveat, I want a deal, I wont pay retail. My goal is to try to drive these cars for free when the time comes to sell, if not turn a profit.

My go to searches...
'01 Speedway White/Mod Red Z06
'04 Competition Orange Cobra
'04 Screaming Yellow Cobra
Sunset Orange Metallic WS6 MN6
'99 Anniversary edition WS6 MN6
'99 Hugger Orange/White SS MN6

Hands down a Coyote. DO NOT get a GTO. I owned one for a few years, it was the biggest POS I ever had. Also, maybe look at an 2010-2012 R/T Challenger.

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
Hands down a Coyote. DO NOT get a GTO. I owned one for a few years, it was the biggest POS I ever had. Also, maybe look at an 2010-2012 R/T Challenger.

The problem with the two cars you mentioned is the resell on them will be terrible unless the OP can find one hell of a deal.

OP - I vote 2002 WS6 if you haven't owned one. IMO, it's one of the best looking cars to come out of GM in the last several years.

CompOrange04GT

Anyone have a strap on my girl can use on me?
Established Member

Huh

There are plenty of IS300 turbo builds making over 600 hp....

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
Huh

There are plenty of IS300 turbo builds making over 600 hp....

I'm not just talking after-market performance parts, I'm talking stupid things like windshield wiper motors and power window switches. These are cars that are now 20-25yrs old. I still love 'em though and will never stop wanting a R34, I just don't have the patience for it any more.

Also IS300 isn't really a "90's" car.

Zemedici

Established Member

Yes and no. The interior bits are discontinued (same with any make, find me a cup holder for a 95 F350 at a dealership)

But all the motor/mechanical bits are still readily available, axles are available, etc I was looking at getting a supra instead of the 15 but didn't want to daily a project.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
I have ZERO plans for modding my IS300, still have the stock exhaust and air box, it's just a daily driver..:D

4.5_zpsvsoj4iyf.jpg

offroadkarter

Professional S***poster
Established Member
M5 is too slow and expensive to maintain IMO.

A 4000lbs sedan thats right on par with a LS1 F body in the 1/4 and a (unlimited) top speed of 186, all from 1999. I'm not sure if I'd call that slow. It can also turn and stop great which is something a F body can't do.

Sure it can't run 9's with only a cobra jet intake, but on the streets it' give a stock terminator a run for its money. It also has a very good shot at meeting the OP's "drive it and sell it for a profit" rule if he got the right car, the value on these is going up.

wreckit

Established Member
Can't he just put it on his tab at Harry's?

Harry's has EVERYTHING!!!

Actually, supra parts are pretty common to come by. At least in Houston Texas they are.
There are plenty of performance shops that carry aftermarket parts for Supras.

Only reason I am saying that is due to the fact i almost bought a Supra before getting my 03 cobra.

Its a great vehicle with plenty performance routes to go.
Just a suggestion OP.

If you wanna get crazy, find a 454 SS single cab chevy:rockon:

matt87

Established Member
about as much fun as you can have behind the wheel.roll2.jpgimages.jpg

Last edited:

zerocool

Douchy McDoucherson
Established Member
You arent helping your case any by posting more pics of the same grand ams or whatever. They all look like the same shitty cheap american 90's interiors.

Trust me, there isn't a domestic sports car within 4 years of the 04-06 GTOs with a better interior. I drove a lot of different brands before I bought mine, it had the best interior by far. Just terrible everything else (except for engine/tranny they were bullet proof).

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Trust me, there isn't a domestic sports car within 4 years of the 04-06 GTOs with a better interior. I drove a lot of different brands before I bought mine, it had the best interior by far. Just terrible everything else (except for engine/tranny they were bullet proof).

Theyre still a badass car, I was trying to find one instead of my Gen but couldnt with low enough miles with the right combination. Its nice sized and comfy for long drives to norcal which would be a plus, we never take my Gen because its smaller and very stiff.

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member

I dont disagree with you. All the interiors then and earlier sucked butt. I still love GTO's, just being realistic about their interior is all.

Users who are viewing this thread