funny thing ......

xhodzax

Established Member
i dont get to drive my car too much but i spend a lots of time reading about modifying my car.
i drove it last night and the car has enough power stock as is.
i just get all exited when i read how much power i could get out of it and everything i can do to it. but for now i will only do exhaust and new rims tires.
what do you guys think about this am right about it or ????

T0RCH3D

Established Member
Its your car do what you feel is best for you. Like you said if you get the itch you know you can open up a whole new animal in just a few simple mods.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
If you're content with the stock power, that will save you a LOT of money over time. These cars can quickly because money magnets. That said, if I was on a limited budget but wanted the car to look and perform better than stock, here is my list.
* Catback
* Midpipe with cats (X or H)
* Intake
* 4-piece Metco idler set
* 2.93 Metco upper pulley
* Tune
* Lowering springs
* Wheels
* MGW shifter

This combo would get you in the 440-460rwhp area, depending on your tune and fuel octane. But man, what a difference! If I were to do my old '03 Cobra all over again, the above list would be my only mods.

But if you're definitely content with the stock power, then just add a catback (I recommend the Steeda catback - not too loud and high quality) and replace the wheels/tires. I do, though, highly recommend lowering springs to get rid of the factory 4X4 look. The lowered stance does wonders with these Cobras.

Riddick

MERICA
Established Member
i dont get to drive my car too much but i spend a lots of time reading about modifying my car.
i just get all exited when i read how much power i could get out of it and everything i can do to it. but for now i will only do exhaust and new rims tires.

Once you start you wont stop :rolling:. Every single vehicle I have had Ialways said im just going to do a few things. I ended up going inside each motor before it was all said and done, lol. What you have planned is a great start though and thats where I would start as well. However, I would add some lowering springs to your list, they will compliment whatever wheels you decide on very well.

Iamchris

Shakey Snake
Established Member
I agree with what Bob and Riddick said...
The list Bob gave is truely perfect and there is no need to go beyond that. Ofcourse, when I read the list I immediately thought, well... maybe add a dual pass HE... and maybe when it becomes a problem, throw on an IRS brace.
And that is why I say Riddick is also right... because as I and many others have learned, the list grows and grows. In all reality, it is a hobby, and it consumes money. You decide how much.

You need to decide what you want and are willing to pay for. If you want a heavily modded Cobra prepare to spend much more than if you want a lightly modded Cobra.

In my experience, the project never ends until the hobby ends. Because even when I achieve the mods I want, by the time they are bought and installed I always seem to line something else up.
For some... it has been a 2.3 whipple, to a KB, to a Turbo, ect...
For some they start like you, then they want Bob's list, next that isnt enough and they want some new coolant tanks, or a TVS.

The reality is... it is all about keeping your head in the hobby. You enjoy the car, so you read about it, it gives you ideas... you carry through... rinse and repeat. That is the fun of the car, and of keeping it fresh.
The bright side is, you have a GREAT car. The mod bug can very likely keep you buying parts instead of cars... that tends to be much more expensive.

younggun04

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Man I wish I was happy with stock power. But In all honestly I thought these cars were kinda lumps bone stock. LOL

Iamchris

Shakey Snake
Established Member
Oh, and one more thing.

From experience... my own on my last car, and now on my Cobra.
Tackle your car the same way you would tackle a project in the garage... because there is too much to do it all at once. Pick the thing that needs work most, or that you want to do first... and tackle that. Then start picking the next thing you want to do.
Every job works in steps. Before you know it, you are half way through the project and can't believe how fast you have made progress.

mike.b

Established Member
you will want more....its only a matter of time.

my dad picked up an R/T Charger a few months ago with the intentions of only doing an exhaust and intake. hes already lining up gears and drooling over a supercharger lol

gamatt

Whine Connoisseur
Established Member
If you're content with the stock power, that will save you a LOT of money over time. These cars can quickly because money magnets. That said, if I was on a limited budget but wanted the car to look and perform better than stock, here is my list.
* Catback
* Intake
* Tune
* Lowering springs
* Wheels
* MGW shifter

This combo would get you in the 440-460rwhp area, depending on your tune and fuel octane. But man, what a difference! If I were to do my old '03 Cobra all over again, the above list would be my only mods.

But if you're definitely content with the stock power, then just add a catback (I recommend the Steeda catback - not too loud and high quality) and replace the wheels/tires. I do, though, highly recommend lowering springs to get rid of the factory 4X4 look. The lowered stance does wonders with these Cobras.

Why not a 2.76? Just curious, as I've done with the above list except for the pulley and mid pipe (I'm about to hit 40 and don't want it any louder :loser:).

SVT-FI$H2088

Fi$hmeister
Established Member
* Catback
* Intake
* Tune
* Lowering springs
* Wheels
* MGW shifter

As perfect as it gets. Super reliable also.

quad

Established Member

That is how I started. First thing I did was a K&N filter and then a few months later I had Hans Racecraft Subframes installed and the Bassani Catback. Two years later I added a shift light and MGW Shifter. The car stayed this way for the next 6 years and was great fun and I had many kills - even with the stock tires.

Then 8 years later I went all out with the mods in my sig. The car is a totally different animal now but I can see I am not nearly done. I definitely need better brakes to match the power and while the NT555 tires I bought have performed beyond my expectations when warmed up the rears have to be replaced. The stock clutch is also way too stiff. Shifting with this kind of power is now a bottle neck that needs correcting.

quad

Established Member
If you're content with the stock power, that will save you a LOT of money over time.
Very true. I have about 25k mods / labor into the Terminator as it sits and paid 31k for the car new in 2004. I probably have spent another $1000 in washing / cleaning supplies in 9 years. And then there is Insurance, Registrations, Gas, Oil, filters etc. It all adds up. Total cost of ownership for me so far must be around 70k or close to it.

COBRA_ESQ

Established Member
but for now i will only do exhaust and new rims tires.
Bob's list is right on, however if you plan to limit yourself I would add a CAI, not expensive or hard to install and will increase the gains from the exhaust. Also if you have a vert full length welded in sub frames are a required mod and will make more difference in the handling and ride than any other mod and will eliminate most of the squeaks and rattles.

CtSvt

Established Member
Im in the same boat aswell . I bought a virgin cobra with 11k miles , told my self it would stay stock and just enjoy it . A week later im 2500 deep in mods , ( intake, o/r x pipe, magnaflow catback, scan guage , wideband, toyo r888 rear tires , and a diablo tune ) although I must say it woke the car up even without a pulley upgrade Which I have on the way from lethal with a few other things aswell ! lol after that I think I will be done modding for a while or for good I hope .

Users who are viewing this thread