Gas tank size

The Sync

VTAK!
Established Member
Ok, I don't mean to beat a dead horse here but I have searched for a couple hours and I can't seem to find an exact number of how many gallons of gas the 2003 Cobra's hold.

Also, when the gas light comes on, exactly how many gallons does that mean we have left?

Thanks.

venom1997

Screwed by the Twins
Established Member
i wouldnt let the light come on before i put gas i believe its some where around 15.5 gallons capacity but like i said try to never let your fuel level go less than a half of a quarter tank and never go WOT

vipergts281

Established Member
I forget the exact number, but yes, 15.7 gallons I believe is correct. And I've always heard there is 1.5 gallons left when the light comes on.

As for not letting it go below a half of a quarter tank, old wives tale. Some people believe if you let it go too low that deposites sitting at the bottom of the tank will cause damage when it gets sucked up. I have driven my car MANY MANY miles with barely any gas. No problems whatsoever.

Additional note, to give you an idea of how far you can go after the low fuel light comes on, I just recently put 28 miles on my car after the light came on. About 24 of those miles were highway. Obviously you will get less in the city. But you still will get 15 or so safely. But why risk it.

And in case you are wondering why I went 28 miles with the light on....stopped to get gas when I was around 15 or so. Station was closed. Went to the next exit, nothing around. Destination was only about 8 minutes away at this point with only one gas station on the way...which I knew would also be closed (which it was). So I just chanced it, I really had no choice at this point.

Jroc

Established Member
As for not letting it go below a half of a quarter tank, old wives tale. Some people believe if you let it go too low that deposites sitting at the bottom of the tank will cause damage when it gets sucked up. I have driven my car MANY MANY miles with barely any gas. No problems whatsoever.

I have heard that its bad for the fuel pumps as it can starve them of fuel which could burn them up, but IDK. If thats the case then it would probably starve the motor also. I have gotten the gage pretty low a few times, but I normally try not to. :shrug:

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
I also heard talk that the pumps are cooled with the gasoline...so if it's low on gas...the pumps can overheat and fail...

Users who are viewing this thread