• Welcome to SVTPerformance!

Gears: Which do you think are the best?

Discussion in 'Driveline' started by SVTVenom, Oct 24, 2002.

Which Gears Do You Think Are The Best?

1. Stock - 3.55

221 vote(s)
    27.7%
  2. 3.73

193 vote(s)
    24.2%
  3. 3.90

137 vote(s)
    17.2%
  4. 4.10

217 vote(s)
    27.2%
  5. other - please list

31 vote(s)
    3.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. racerat

racerat 200+mph Boss-O-Matic! Established Member

Street tires...gs d3's.
    Haven't been to the track with the DR's yet because the weather has been crap. Not expecting much difference since the wheel hop is still there.

2. svt03corba

svt03corba New Member Established Member

4.10 all the way

3. mwaull

mwaull SVT VENM Established Member

:rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

4. c488

c488 c488 Established Member

Cost for gear swap, parts & labor

I was quoted about $680 from HP in OKC, OK for 3.90s (maybe 4.10s). Shoot, I thought ring and pinion should be around $200. If that's the case, $680 seems a bit out of line. Somebody set me straight if I'm wrong. And any recommendations on shops to do this work around OKC, OK. Maybe I'll try the Ford dealership that sells SVT. Thanks in advance for any relevant input!

486 RWHP
    4lb pulley, diablo, bissano, adj clutch cable & quadrant...Pro5.0 tomorrow.
    Nitto 275/40/17
    '03 Zinc yellow vert

5. jimh

jimh Member Established Member

The IRS in these cars makes it a PIA to swap gears. You have to actually drop the center section. That's probably why they want so much more. Much easier in a solid axle car.

jim

6. 1 bad bullitt

1 bad bullitt Do'in it in the dirt Established Member

Vandenberg Air Force Base, California, United Stat
    You can drop the center, then take that somewhere to do the gears, that is what I am doing right now, then is should be cheaper to get them istalled, since they have to do practially no labor to install the gears, the only downside is if they are not set up right you are kinda screwed and have to do all that work over again to take the diff back to the guys that installed them.

7. SPXTrader

SPXTrader Certified Loon Established Member

Can anyone give me a tach to gear/speed comparison for my '01 vert. for the 4:10 (in order to compared to my stock gears)?.. 2nd gear at 2000 RPM

2nd gear at 3500 RPM 3rd gear at 2000 RPM 3rd gear at 5000 RPM 4th gear at 2000 RPM 4th gear at 4000 RPM 5th gear at 75MPH 5th gear at 90 MPH? As for highway, what's the RPM range in 5th at 55 to 75 MPH?

Any replies would be appreciated.............

8. RiChie

RiChie mOdifi3d! Established Member

Same here ...

9. bender460

bender460 New Member Established Member

4:10's would be great in a stock Cobra, but 500rwhp is a different story.Horspower being equal 4:10's will go faster than 3:55's only if there is enough traction to suport the 4:10's. With the IRS traction is tough on the street even with DR's. In my case 480rwhp 2nd gear is usless with the stock 3:55's and DR's. I will be going with 3:90's shortly and that will gain time only at the track with slicks. :)

10. imswheel

imswheel Quality SVT Poster Established Member

4:10's are perfect!

I had a 97 Cobra with 4:10's and luv'd them.

I have a 03 with 4:10's and luv them as well.

It pulls hard and and did not effect MPG all that much. As far as shifting more - NOT! I can leave it in 4th and drive in city traffic almost like it was an automatic. 6th on the highway is still pleasant - enough so that I almost went with 4:30's but wimped out at the last second.

Traction is not an issue, you can boil the tires off with the stock gears just as easy as with any other set.

4:10's are the best bang for the buck!

11. Sader123

Sader123 New Member Established Member

Street Brawler = 4.10's

12. badboy

badboy Done with it! Established Member

I just put in 4.10's and like them alot. The only problem I have now is getting my spedo recalibrated. I can't seem to get the SCT software to work.

13. 64comet

64comet Active Member Established Member

So what kind of RPM are you getting at highway speeds with 3.90's. Just trying to decide between 3.73 or 3.90. Reading all this I think 3.90 would be more fun, but want it to be comfortable at 70-80mph cruising.

14. Wings65288

Wings65288 Well-Known Member Established Member

good question from 64comet, you 4.10 guys what RPM are you guys at when your driving 70, 75, and 80 MPH?

15. Cooter

Cooter New Member Established Member

i went from 3.55 to 4.56 man oh man what a difference i love it of course im running 33 inch tires on a 4x4 also
    Cooter

16. badboy

badboy Done with it! Established Member

My 4.10's are just perfect. Just driving around I shift a lot less than I did with the stock 3.56's, as strange as it may seem. I now always feel like I am in the correct gear whereas with the stock gears I was always shifting and hunting for a gear that felt right. And, second gear is a monster now!

17. redfire03 svt

redfire03 svt Active Member Established Member

I can vouch that 4:10's are great in these cars, since I have them. On my way home tonight I went WOT at the top of 1st and all thru 2nd, and no traction problems. I do have drag radials though which help alot. In the winter months when it is cold down here, forget about it, you cannot even go WOT in 3rd, and here comes the wheel hop! But 4:10's are very streetable and make ours cars true monsters.

18. hatsharpener

hatsharpener New Member Established Member

I'd say 4.30s with your setup.

19. GordsFord

GordsFord Authorized Vendor Established Member

I went to 4.10's a couple of months ago and they really help the driveability of the car in ordinary part throttle daily operation. The first and second gears in these cars are very high compared to most other cars, and the earlier Cobra's, GT's, Z06 Corvettes, etc. They all have first gear ratio's in the 2.97 to 3.35 range wheras the 03 Cobra is 2.66. That, combined with higher car weight and the aluminum flywheel makes the car feel heavy when driving around the city, and in stop and go traffic.

The 4.10 gears really transform the car in part throttle operation. It feels much lighter and more nimble. And under full throttle the car is a little rocket! Yes you can easily blow off the tires if you just stomp on it but if you squeeze the throttle you accellerate much faster and with much more control of tire spin. With the lower gear it actually does not spin the tires as fast. This is why most serious drag racing cars do their burnout in 2nd gear to spin the tires faster!

I think that the only people who would not use the 4.10's are only those that have not tried them. Anyway I highly recommend the 4.10 gears!

Gord

GordsFord Performance

20. oldnfast

oldnfast approaching ancient Established Member

Should have been followed by, "and which ones have you tried on your car?"

The only people that knock tall gears are those looking for top end, & the ignorant.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.