Gen3r or Whipple?

einehund

Established Member
This question has been asked before, but looking for updated opinions now that both have been out a minute. I'm looking to replace a OEM 2.3 TVS that seized on me while driving. I'd love my Gen2r back, but that one ingested parts from the engine blowing and was not salvageable.

Specs on the new block are almost identical to the old: 10% lower, 80 lbs injectors, dual 65mm TB, STOCK rotating assembly. Only difference is that the new block came with cams - Comp Cams XE-R - not what I would have gone with but they seem to work! The prices on just the head units for the Gen3r and the 3.0 Gen 5 whipple are the same. Just looking to see what people think.

Edit: The Whipple requires the usage of whipple's throttle body, so now there is a $1k price difference. Is the whipple worth a grand more?

HKusp

Established Member
Apples to oranges comparison coming.

I had a Gen2R on my Shelby, I have a good buddy with a Gen3R on his Coyote, on E85 and it is north of 850whp. I currently have a Gen 5 3.0 Whipple on my '18 Mustang GT. I am in the process of going built short block and fuel system, with a "stage 1" port job on the heads. The Whipple will support north of 1200whp. So will the Gen3R. The Gen3R will have a little more torque and HP down low, the Whipple will come in a little higher in the rpm range and pull harder up top due to the larger displacement and making less heat per pound of boost due to the twin screw versus the TVS design differences.

All that being said, as you know the redline on the 5.4/5.8 mod motors is 1200 or so rpm lower than a tuned Coyote. In my opinion, staying on stock 5.4/5.8 heads, and pump gas, the Whipple would not be worth an extra $1000. That VMP blower is going match up really really well with your set-up. Just my $.02, do with it what you will.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
i dont really keep up on all this but I thought there were some adapters floating around out there so you didnt have to drop a grand on the whipple version?

SCGallo2

Balanced performance
Established Member
Premium Member
Whipple 2.9 Gen 3 & 4 are better suited for the lower RPM spinning 5.4/5.8L engines, and low RPM torque with the same upper pulley is much improved over their Gen 2 brethren. I had a 2.9 Gen 2 and now have a Gen 4 on my 2008.

Whipple 3.0 Gen 5 rotors were designed with the higher revving Coyote engines in mind. I personally don't like the aesthetics of the GT500 3.0 Gen 5 model, specifically the longer snout. My Tuner and I also prefer to use standard GT500 throttle bodies, CJ Twin 65mm in my case, over trying to tune the new and larger Roval throttle body for good street manners.

I would install a TVS 2.65L Gen3R vice a Whipple 3.0L Gen 5 given your current situation.

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
My shop has told me the new Whipple's are not as straightforward install and tuning as previous versions. This shop knows their shit.

If it were my car, I would do a VMP, because what I have now would transfer onto the head unit, (JLT, TB etc) without having to spend extra.

And I like down low torque that the TVS provides

Users who are viewing this thread